What Are You Listening To?

• @miserableperson Coincidentally, I'm listening to Dive now. I am also hyped for the album, and I do not remember the last time I was so excited for an album.

• I watched my friend play the first Project CARS game, and while he navigates the menu, this ridiculously epic track plays. Been listening to it for a bit.

Youtube Video

• Mike Shinoda. I am glad he is able to still create music. Me , many others, and the band themselves still miss Chester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMTsul4UFl8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2sRc3j7IU0
    Youtube Video

• @cocage I sadly find myself listening to his songs and expecting Chester's vocals to come in at points.
    Still happy to see him making music.

• While walking by a radio in FarCry 5, I heard this blissful tune reaching out to me, and I instantly had to research just what beauty I had stumbled upon.

Youtube Video

So not only is this song absolutely stellar and excellent in producing a psychedelic 60s rock vibe (mixed with modern production), I found their entire debut album is ridiculously catchy. Worth a solid spin or seventeen.

• @bam541 Thanks for sharing. I got the album today at my local music store.

• So today I decided to pop on the first album I bought day of release - Red Hot Chili Pepper's By The Way.

I think they're an interesting group in general because of how many styles they've incorporated into their music and how long they've been running. I'm not a huge fan of the earlier work and their newer stuff is very hit and miss, but there really was a sweet spot where they were releasing some truly inspiring albums - Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium, basically when John Frusciante returned to the band after his bout of being an addict.

A lot of criticisms towards the band is that they just have a rap-rock sound and always sing about California, which is so far off base, it's actually pretty funny. If I had to pick a favorite of the three albums I just listed, it'd have to go to By The Way. It has a lot of energy in songs like By The Way and Can't Stop, but some really introspective and slower stuff as well, such as Don't Forget Me. It also has one of the best songs to end an album, found below.

Youtube Video

• Going to Primavera tomorrow looking forward to it, the lineups stacked.

• Parquet Court's Almost Had To Start A Fight / In And Out Of Patience
    Youtube Video

Really love the transition between the first and second part. Just got the album, excited to listen to it. It feels much more exciting than their previous album, which i felt was pretty mixed overall.

• Also, Gorillaz announced a new album, "The Now Now", coming in June 29, and released two singles. I can't say i'm a Gorillaz fan (especially regarding their latest album) but the singles are pretty sick.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• @bam541 I saw that too, and then learned that they put out an album last year too that I never knew about, lol. It's been a while since Plastic Beach, but that one has grown on me over time.

• @minamik Man i still haven't touched Plastic Beach, gotta start listening to it sometime.

• @bam541 Please do, you won't regret it. Especially now that summer is here.

• @bam541 Oh nice! I love Gorillaz (at least their first and second albums). Curious to hear the new one!

• @bam541 I'm so happy they've decided to sound completely different from their dumpster fire of a last album. Digging both of these tunes.

• @sabotagethetruth If you don't like Humanz, that's fine, but it sure as hell ain't a dumpster fire. I thought the album was good. An 8/10. What would cause you to call their last album a dumpster fire? There were way worse albums in 2017!

• @cocage It felt like it was more about the featured artists than it was about the band themselves and personally, I didn't get any sense of cohesion or direction. This fella can sum it up much better than I can.

Youtube Video

It was better than whatever Arcade Fire decided was music last year, but... not by a large margin for me. I remember listening to it with a friend that also loves the Gorillaz and he told me to, "turn that trash off." While The Fall was meh and easily forgotten, I don't think it's a stretch to call Humanz immensely divisive.

• @sabotagethetruth I've seen the video already. You're entitled to your opinion. While the band is not prominently present, this nothing new. Gorillaz had always put featured artists in their albums. This is especially true for Demon Days. I remember some fans complaining about the hip hop, and I'm like "where the fuck were these complaints when Gorillaz, Demon Days, and Plastic Beach released?!" I find Double Toasted opinions more on point.

Youtube Video

• @cocage I can't think of very many examples in Demon Days where Damon is completely absent though and there's many tracks on there that don't feature anyone. The only tracks on Humanz without features are the short interludes and Busted and Blue. On the earlier albums (minus The Fall) it always felt like the band created a song and then found an artist or two to add a few accents to the creation, as if they were seasoning an already cooked meal. In Humanz, the features definitely take center stage and it feels less than previous works, almost as though the seasoning has just been applied directly to the plate itself. Plus, Demon Days benefits from having Danger Mouse as producer, so everything sounds real crisp and has a natural flow and progression.

Music to me is the most subjective art form out there, so I don't expect everyone to agree that Humanz is a dumpster fire and I'm glad you like it! As Ian always says, it's way easier to like something than it is to hate it, so I wish I could bring myself to even moderately enjoy Humanz but... nope. I'm just personally happy they're more prominently heard in the new songs.

• @sabotagethetruth I understand. The Fall always felt the weakest to me due to how generic and forgettable most of the songs were. Damon even considers it non-canon, so the Fall becomes all the more inconsequential. Now if I were to rank the albums from best to worst it would be like this:

1. Demon Days
    2. Gorillaz
    3. Humanz
    4. Plastic Beach
    5. The Fall

When the Now Now comes out, odds are it will replace one of my top 3, but even if it doesn't, the albums will still be awesome. I am happy to see another fan excited for the next album.