What Are You Listening To?

• @anonfriction That's really awesome that you did that, thanks!

• @sabotagethetruth pretty sure I got everything ^_^ there were a few posts that seemed to be unavailable now though :(

Also I think this should be posted here after e3 haha

Youtube Video

• Listened to Unknown Mortal Orchestra's Sex and Food. Boring album, really disappointed by this. But, at least it has two fantastic songs. I already posted one of them here, so i'll post the other one.

Youtube Video

• Also finished listening to Jack White's Boarding House Reach. I'm not a big fan of his solo stuff, but man this album is something else. It started kinda weak, but immediately things got interesting with the second track, and for the most part the interest level in me is kept pretty high.

Corporation, Ice Station Zebra, Respect Commander, Over and Over and Over, and Respect Commander are the highlights.

The last few tracks got a bit slower and mellower in terms of how it sounds, which i would thought as a good change of pace. The last track, Humoresque, is pretty beautiful, i like how they end this crazy album with a soft kiss in the cheek.

There are shorter tracks here and there that feels kinda unnecessary, even though they're kinda fun to listen to.

The instrumentation is playfully experimental rock, at their best it sounds like the band were having tons of fun. The production is very crunchy, the guitars in particular sounds awesome. If you're a rock fan, definitely give this a try. (8/10)

My favorite song is this one, one of the best rock songs in recent memory for me. Full of swagger, and spirals to craziness at the final third.

Youtube Video

• Just listened to two great records:

• Parquet Courts' Wide Awake. Absolutely loved it, feels very groovy and cohesive as an album. Has a lot of punk influences and a bit of psychedelic touch here and there. The album's length is perfect, just enough to make me wanting more. Probably my favorite album of this year so far.

• Fleet Foxes' Sun Giant EP. It released years ago, and i only found this out yesterday. It feels like a extension of the their debut album, and it is worth your time. Mykonos and Innocent Son are easily up there with their best work yet.

• Even though I've been listening fairly consistently, I haven't really posted my impressions of the new Gorillaz album as a whole. Here we go!

Youtube Video

Honestly, it feels like this album picks up right after Plastic Beach, which is going to help me forget Humanz exists even more now thankfully. It's a really great summer album with a cohesive style and feel throughout, with a few standout tracks really taking center stage - Tranz, Lake Zurich, and the beautiful Souk Eye. I do wholly agree with the complaints lobbed against the album though - it does play things a bit too safe and there's not a lot of experimentation on display here. It's no Demon Days or Plastic Beach but it's still worth your time and is probably going to be my record for the summer.

• @anonfriction I've been addicted to this song. I hope to hear Dante's new theme as well as the "mysterious" V.

• Listened to LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening. It's really good, but it's certainly not my favorite LCD album. It's a bit weird and playful than Sound of Silver, and that's cool and all, but in some songs it lost some of the swagger that made SoS sound so good. Pow Pow is a great though, despite being so weird structurally. That song felt really confident in it's tone for me, which helps it a lot. I also like it less than American Dream, because that album felt heavier for me. Not necessarily emotional-wise, it just sounds like the band were hitting each note harder. It's more... impactful, i guess.

But still, this is a great album. Dance Yourself Clean's transition to dance-mode is so good, I Can Change is a great romantically-charged tune, and Home is a fantastic album closer. Drunk Girls and Somebody's Calling Me bring it down for me (SCM in particular doesn't fit with the rest of the album), but that doesn't stop this album from being a must try.

• June and July really crushed it in terms of new music, at least for my tastes.

-Chromeo’s new album “Head Over Heels” is definitely in my top 10 albums now.
    -Gorillaz’ new album “The Now Now” is awesome, as expected. Still not sure where it places in my personal ranking of the Gorillaz albums, but it’s up there.
    -Red Velvet’s Japanese Debut was killer. I loved both new songs, and their older songs included on the mini-album are some of their best.
    -Taeyeon’s new song “Something New” has been on repeat for days. I lowkey have some beef with SNSD, but I can’t deny that she’s an amazing singer and that her music is great.
    -Kyungri (From 9Muses) just made her solo debut with a stellar song, “Blue Moon”! Everything about this era is to die for.
    -Katie Kim’s debut single, “Remember”, is just beautiful. Her voice is so unique and lovely. I really reccomend it.
    -Tenny’s “159cm” is an incredible song with a great message and music video. It deserves way more attention than it’s getting.
    -Twice’s “Dance The Night Away” quite literally, just came out and I think it’s one of their best comebacks. Here’s hoping that people stop sleeping on Jihyo because she really shines in this era.
    -NeonPunch just debuted as the first group from a new and small company. It’s sad to see them get ignored because their debut single “Moonlight” is killer.
    -This isn’t technically new music, but it’s kind of adjacent to it? EXID saved my life with their performance and Kcon! It’s so great to see them getting the recognition that they deserve! I so wish I could have been there!
    Youtube Video

I’ve also been getting into music from older artists. The fact that some of these folks have lasted as long as they have really goes to show how much talent and charisma they have.
    -Lee Hyori will forever be one of the 3 true Queens of Kpop. She just has this insane presence that you can hear through her music, and though her latest releases have been a bit different than her usual style, they’re still totally bewitching.
    -BoA, another one of my Queens. The more I explore her enormous catologue of albums and singles, the more I realize that she straight up only makes great music. Not only that, but even 18 years after he debut, she’s still setting the standard for exceptional performance.
    -Um Jung Hwa, the third Queen. This woman is literally unstoppable. In an industry that usually forces idols to retire by the age of 30, Um Jung Hwa is out here at 49, absolutely crushing it, and outperforming most other people in her field.
    -G.O.D. has some great timeless hits that will instantly boost your mood.
    Youtube Video

• Just revisiting what I consider to be the best album in the past decade.

Youtube Video

And yarp, I still think it's personally one of the most important things I've heard in a long while. The way the lyrics reference previous and future songs, the depth of the subject matter, the playful instrumentation, the sharpness created by Danger Mouse, it all combines into a powerhouse of a record. I was a casual PTM fan before this album came out in 2013 and I quickly gobbled up the rest of their content afterwards. With the release of Woodstock last year, they didn't quite hit the same mark but it's 4 years later and I still absolutely adore everything Evil Friends has to offer.

• This post is deleted!

• Time to sit back a bit.
    Youtube Video

• Listened to We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service by A Tribe Called Quest (released 2016). I'm not a hip hop fan at all, and this is my first exposure to ATCQ. It sounds way different compared to modern hip hop songs sound these days. ATCQ's been around since the 80s, they have a distinct style that is rooted in old-school hip hop. I really enjoyed it, here's my favorite songs.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Apparently this is their last album, and sadly one of their members died before this album released. Rest easy, man.

• Just got around to MGMT's Little Dark Age, it's really good! Very fun to listen to, filled with the weirdness of MGMT's early works. I'm hearing some shoegaze influence too, as a whole the album had a "nostalgic dream" feel to it. There's only one song that i'm still feeling mixed about, the rest are pretty damn good. It's definitely their best album IMO, i couldn't even finish their previous albums.

This album started out strong with this track, might be my favorite song here. Felt like a modern age mantra to me.
    Youtube Video

• Can't stop listening to The Book of Ryan. Fantastic album.

• @bam541 Little Dark Age is my favorite release this year so far. Really unexpected considering how much I disliked their last two albums.

• @sabotagethetruth Same here, it's like they have an epiphany or something after their last album.
    Speaking of great albums, this year is already pretty packed for me, i have like 5 albums (including this one) that i just can't help but gush about. Usually there's just one standout album for me.

• the mystery of love
    I downloaded many movies to my computer (yeah, I am a movie fanatic), maybe the movies are too much that the hard drive capacity of my computer is not enough, but I don’t want to delete any one of them. Some movies are in MP4 format, is there any MP4 to DVD converter recommended? I think it will be wonderful to burn my loving movies to disc for storage...

• Kicking it old school.

The Jam - In the City

Youtube Video