What Are You Listening To?

• June and July really crushed it in terms of new music, at least for my tastes.

-Chromeo’s new album “Head Over Heels” is definitely in my top 10 albums now.
    -Gorillaz’ new album “The Now Now” is awesome, as expected. Still not sure where it places in my personal ranking of the Gorillaz albums, but it’s up there.
    -Red Velvet’s Japanese Debut was killer. I loved both new songs, and their older songs included on the mini-album are some of their best.
    -Taeyeon’s new song “Something New” has been on repeat for days. I lowkey have some beef with SNSD, but I can’t deny that she’s an amazing singer and that her music is great.
    -Kyungri (From 9Muses) just made her solo debut with a stellar song, “Blue Moon”! Everything about this era is to die for.
    -Katie Kim’s debut single, “Remember”, is just beautiful. Her voice is so unique and lovely. I really reccomend it.
    -Tenny’s “159cm” is an incredible song with a great message and music video. It deserves way more attention than it’s getting.
    -Twice’s “Dance The Night Away” quite literally, just came out and I think it’s one of their best comebacks. Here’s hoping that people stop sleeping on Jihyo because she really shines in this era.
    -NeonPunch just debuted as the first group from a new and small company. It’s sad to see them get ignored because their debut single “Moonlight” is killer.
    -This isn’t technically new music, but it’s kind of adjacent to it? EXID saved my life with their performance and Kcon! It’s so great to see them getting the recognition that they deserve! I so wish I could have been there!
    Youtube Video

I’ve also been getting into music from older artists. The fact that some of these folks have lasted as long as they have really goes to show how much talent and charisma they have.
    -Lee Hyori will forever be one of the 3 true Queens of Kpop. She just has this insane presence that you can hear through her music, and though her latest releases have been a bit different than her usual style, they’re still totally bewitching.
    -BoA, another one of my Queens. The more I explore her enormous catologue of albums and singles, the more I realize that she straight up only makes great music. Not only that, but even 18 years after he debut, she’s still setting the standard for exceptional performance.
    -Um Jung Hwa, the third Queen. This woman is literally unstoppable. In an industry that usually forces idols to retire by the age of 30, Um Jung Hwa is out here at 49, absolutely crushing it, and outperforming most other people in her field.
    -G.O.D. has some great timeless hits that will instantly boost your mood.
    Youtube Video

• Just revisiting what I consider to be the best album in the past decade.

Youtube Video

And yarp, I still think it's personally one of the most important things I've heard in a long while. The way the lyrics reference previous and future songs, the depth of the subject matter, the playful instrumentation, the sharpness created by Danger Mouse, it all combines into a powerhouse of a record. I was a casual PTM fan before this album came out in 2013 and I quickly gobbled up the rest of their content afterwards. With the release of Woodstock last year, they didn't quite hit the same mark but it's 4 years later and I still absolutely adore everything Evil Friends has to offer.

• This post is deleted!

• Time to sit back a bit.
    Youtube Video

• Listened to We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service by A Tribe Called Quest (released 2016). I'm not a hip hop fan at all, and this is my first exposure to ATCQ. It sounds way different compared to modern hip hop songs sound these days. ATCQ's been around since the 80s, they have a distinct style that is rooted in old-school hip hop. I really enjoyed it, here's my favorite songs.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Apparently this is their last album, and sadly one of their members died before this album released. Rest easy, man.

• Just got around to MGMT's Little Dark Age, it's really good! Very fun to listen to, filled with the weirdness of MGMT's early works. I'm hearing some shoegaze influence too, as a whole the album had a "nostalgic dream" feel to it. There's only one song that i'm still feeling mixed about, the rest are pretty damn good. It's definitely their best album IMO, i couldn't even finish their previous albums.

This album started out strong with this track, might be my favorite song here. Felt like a modern age mantra to me.
    Youtube Video

• Can't stop listening to The Book of Ryan. Fantastic album.

• @bam541 Little Dark Age is my favorite release this year so far. Really unexpected considering how much I disliked their last two albums.

• @sabotagethetruth Same here, it's like they have an epiphany or something after their last album.
    Speaking of great albums, this year is already pretty packed for me, i have like 5 albums (including this one) that i just can't help but gush about. Usually there's just one standout album for me.

• the mystery of love
    I downloaded many movies to my computer (yeah, I am a movie fanatic), maybe the movies are too much that the hard drive capacity of my computer is not enough, but I don’t want to delete any one of them. Some movies are in MP4 format, is there any MP4 to DVD converter recommended? I think it will be wonderful to burn my loving movies to disc for storage...

• Kicking it old school.

The Jam - In the City

Youtube Video

• Guess I've been on the same wavelength as Ben lately, since we've both been enjoying Daft Punk's Discovery quite a bit.

Youtube Video

Despite it being saturated with disco and funk samples, there's something "human" about this album in comparison with nearly all other electronica out there. It could easily be performed by a live band and you wouldn't lose much, which is a testament to all the thought that went into this record. I'm listening to it via the CD player in my car (which is rare because I own very few CDs these days) and it has begun to skip in areas because I've been spinning the same disc since middle school. I don't use the word perfect very often but Discovery was perfect upon release and remains so to this day. I'm going to be listening to this on my death bed, guaranteed.

• Listened to The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced. This is probably the first time i completely fell in love to an old album (i tried Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Velvet Underground, can't say i liked them much). Wonderful guitar work by Jimi, still sound awesome today. Here's my favorite tracks.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Feeder - Turn

From the album Echo Park (2001). Amazing song.

• Just revisited one of my favorites of all time, Muse's Origins of Symmetry, and i still love it as i did years ago. It's probably my favorite Muse album (Absolution is very close), it's very consistent quality wise and it has some of the most hard hitting moments in their entire discography. It also felt the most "raw" (despite many parts that sounds quite clean), something the later albums traded in exchange for more over-the-top dramatic vibes.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Stumbled upon this earlier, cool vibes.
    Youtube Video

• @bam541 Also my favorite Muse album by a country mile. I miss Muse sounding like.... Muse. Their last few albums, woof, rough.

• @sabotagethetruth Agreed, the last one i liked was The Resistance. Also, the new singles they released recently are kinda meh. I don't have much faith in Muse anymore, but i'm hoping the new album is better.

• New music, ahoy!

Youtube Video

Death Cab is a band that used to mean the world to me but each new release generally made me less and less excited about them overall. While I don't think this album reaches some of the brilliant heights of their past work, it's much better than their previous two efforts - the back half of the album in particular is a lot more sonically pleasing and takes more risks. A step back in the right direction, if nothing else.

Youtube Video

Trevor Powers was known as Youth Lagoon before dropping the moniker in 2016. As Youth Lagoon, he quickly became one of my favorite songwriters in the business, blending some really dynamic sounds with introspective lyrics. I haven't been able to fully wrap my mind around this newest release of his, all I can say is that I enjoy it immensely. It's a bit of a challenging listen, which I appreciate. It has potential to be my favorite release of the year (so far) but I need to give it a few more listens to really solidify that opinion.

There's also a new Animal Collective release but I was decidedly too sober to enjoy it properly, I'll rectify that soon enough.

• @sabotagethetruth The Death Cab track is pretty nice, might be time for me to start listening to their albums.
    XTQ Idol's not really clicking with me, i guess it's just me not being in the mood for that kind of music.