What Are You Listening To?

• Youtube Video

Perfect October vibes and such a stunning OST overall. Now it's my second favorite OST from 2017 (behind the excellent Persona 5).

• I've been in a big hip-hop mood recently. Specifically, I've been digging into Vince Staples:

Youtube Video

• Never thought i'd say this, but damn, the new Twenty One Pilots album, Trench, is pretty great. The production is the best part of this album for me, it just sounds so tight. The songs are still catchy pop songs, but they just have way more personality than any of their previous songs. Also, the first 5 songs here are absolute fire. The song below, Levitate, is one of em'. The drums are sick, and the synth sounds that surround it is essential to it's moody tone.

Youtube Video

• @bam541 The melon completely agrees with you.

Youtube Video

I also never thought I'd say this, but it looks like I'll be listening to a Twenty One Pilots album.

• @sabotagethetruth I figure that he would like the album since he seems to be impressed by the singles that has been released, but a yellow flannel? These are strange times we live in.

• somehow they turned a 3 minute song into a 17 minute performance. this is sick. lol.

Youtube Video

• Been having trouble sleeping so this time i tried listening to Fleet Foxes' Crack-Up album just because i thought the depressive tone of the album might be helpful. Instead, i listened to it the whole way through and still didn't sleep, lol. Anyway, this is a wonderful album. Loved it when it came out and that love grew even more as time went on. I haven't listened to Helplessness Blues yet so i can't say it's their best album yet but it's definitely better than their great debut album IMO. I just love how imperfect this album sounds, and the bits of experimentation here and there.

• Polyphia's New Levels New Devils, a instrumental progressive rock album. It's pretty great, the guitars in particular are deliciously playful, and it's much more than just that. It's very fun to listen, there's lots of cool moments that just puts a smile on my face.

Youtube Video

Also checked out Lana Del Rey's latest (? i don't know for sure, lol) single, Mariners Apartment Complex. It released last month, and i missed it just because i don't have much interest in her music. It's been on my Youtube suggestion page for a bit, so i figure why not since i was bored. Surprise surprise, this might be one of my favorite singles from this year. I though the overall tone of the song is delightful, like a wishful call from a mysterious island. I just love the somewhat subtle (or toned down, not sure) instrumentation, while still bringing the impact forward. I can't get enough of that main piano theme, and there's a beautiful fog of sound that surrounds it. The vocals are pretty good too, she sounds powerful when it needed to. Overall i'm very impressed with this.

Youtube Video

• Listened to The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness one of The National's singles from their latest album, which released last year. I personally never have been a huge fan of them, most of their stuff just bores me for some reason. This song is honestly the first time i've been blown away by them. I love the singer's tone and how he lifts up in chorus. I love the guitar's messy and somewhat distorted little wails, and that solo on the bridge is pretty great. I think i'm gonna check out their latest album soon.

Youtube Video

Also, the song's title is cool, might be a good name for a warship from Halo, lol.

• Digging through my mid-20's staples.

Blood Red Shoes

Youtube Video

• This past week Toro y Moi debuted a new single, "Freelance," the first off his newly announced album for 2019, Outer Peace.

I would've skipped this if not for two of my friends who wouldn't shut up about how infectious it was - and they were right to heap so much praise upon it.

I'm not a massive fan, but I have enjoyed his songs and style in the past, but this pushes forward to another level.

You can tune out the lyrics and purely enjoy just how damn groovy it is, however its lyrics are what are really sticking with me.

Thematically, it isn't anything new - something he acknowledges within the song - a critique of modern culture's aggressive consumption, and its ability to discard and press forward. This affects creators and their ability to produce; whether its fans feeling a sense of ownership over their works of art, the constant state of pressure, or the demand for innovation. I don't want to delve into each line, but I'll just say that every single one serves a distinct purpose. Even lifting the opening verse of a song by Isaac Brock stands to support this song's message.

This song has me eagerly anticipating the rest of Outer Peace which is due out January 18th.

Enjoy, and Happy Halloween!

Youtube Video

• @miserableperson I love Toro y Moi personally, but his last two albums really didn't do much for me. Oddly, Vogue wrote up a whole piece about this video and I gotta agree, it's quite catchy. I think Deerhunter releases a new album on the same day, January is looking good.

• Just found out that the freeform jazz bit from Spongebob Squarepants was actually just a part of full jazz composition. It's pretty damn great.

Youtube Video

Also, here's a memed-out song that i really enjoy.

Youtube Video

• Listened to Albert Hammond Jr's Francis Trouble. Despite being a huge fan of The Strokes (which Albert's guitar play contribute a lot to, especially their early, and best, stuff), i can't say i hold Albert's solo work to the same heights. I do enjoy his previous albums, i think they're decent at best. This one, however, took me a bit off guard. The album doesn't sound too different from the others, but this just sounds way more... fun. It's more exciting, a bit adventurous, quite energetic, and most of all, catchy as hell. The album didn't start well, and it didn't end well too, but everything in between the first and last song are pretty damn good. It also took a while for me to really like the album, but it was worth it.

Youtube Video

• Decided to listen to Demon Days for the first time in forever. While I still prefer their self-titled album more I can't deny this album's quality. Forgot how great Dirty Harry is in particular.

Sound Check (Gravity) is still my favorite song of theirs. Humility's right up there though, probably gonna finally check out The Now Now in a few days.

• Love Blackpink... although pop music normally isn't my genre

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• I've been listening to the Japanese electronic group Yellow Magic Orchestra lately.

Youtube Video

• @hanabi Checked out The Now Now. It's pretty good, not as good as Demon Days but still solid. Humility is my favorite song easily, but Souk Eye and Kansas are also real good stuff.

• Listened to Death Grips' Year of the Snitch. It's the first album i ever listened from them. My first exposure to their was the song No Love, which really got my attention, and since i watched The Needle Drop's review of this album i've been keeping it on my listening list for a while. It's very abrasive, unabashedly experimental, sometimes a bit disturbing, and many times just plain ridiculous, but it's still sounds catchy in the weirdest way possible. In some songs, the raw, hard hitting energy levels are through the roof, and in other songs they trade that energy for surreal mind melting vibes. At the length 37 minutes, it's quite short and very re-listenable. Been listening to it a dozen times and it keeps getting better. Easily one of my favorites this year.

Youtube Video

Also listened to Brockhampton's iridescence, my first ever Brockhampton album. They have been all the rage recently, and i do enjoy the singles i have heard from them (last year's Heat comes to mind, absolutely love that song), so it's just a matter of time until i caved in. The first 5 tracks are pretty good, but only after that the band really started punching their weight. Many songs here really pulled off the emotional angle very well, and most of the performances here does the lyrics justice. J'ouvert is definitely my favorite, it stands out the most due to how experimental it is.

Youtube Video