What Are You Listening To?

• Thanks to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I've been listening to a lot of Yes lately and I didn't realize just how much music they've made in the past few decades. Super impressive but I still can't stop loving this one the most.

Youtube Video

• A mixtape of the announced lineup of this year's Doe Bay Fest
    Community showcase peeps may remember my foggy camping pics from Doe Bay 2018. Will be back this year for the usual eclectic mix of R&B, Soul, Folk, Country, Hip-Hop, Pop (synth and otherwise), Electronic, Children's. Funk, Indie, Punk, and Rock.
    Plus Camping in one of the most beautiful places on the West Coast, Orcas Island WA.

• Between the passing of Keith Flint from The Prodigy and I've been playing a lot of Wipeout Omega Collection, Forza Horizon 4 AND watching Formula 1 (which reminds me of the soundtrack to my old F1 games), its bringing me back to the late 90s-early 2000s when Drum n Bass was everywhere. I've done a deep dive into DnB on Apple Music. I never really knew a lot of artists who make DnB, but I've always liked the sound and the aesthetic.

Hospital Records is one of two of the only major DnB record labels and they have an entire radio station on FH4. I downloaded their playlist on Apple Music but you can listen on YouTube as well.

Youtube Video

• The Comet is Coming's Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery is amazing. Not your regular jazz fusion album. It's like they took the concept of the mysteriousness of our unimaginably vast universe and personify it into auditory pleasure. That doesn't make any sense, I know.

Youtube Video

• Just noticed this Thread. Started listening to Nnamdi Ogbonnaya 2 weeks ago. The album is hit or miss but the ones that are good are really good! And I'm not that much into rap normally.
    Youtube Video

• @dragonhunter Interesting. Definitely sounds unique and not of the norm. The sounds and the rapping style remind me of Outkast/Andre 3000.

• Melody's Echo Chamber's Bon Voyage is pretty damn great. Like an overeager child being given a chance to roam freely, it often steers out from the boundaries that you expect, bouncing from one delightful motif to the next, resulting in an interesting and eclectic record. This only took a turn for the worse at one song, the rest is very entertaining.

Youtube Video

• A fantastic submission from this month's community showcase that no one should miss.

Youtube Video

• I've been listening to a lot of stuff lately, but I'll include some highlights.

Youtube Video

Slacker has taken over my life. I'm basically considering him the best video game music artist that isn't actually making music for games. If you want some good vibe, chill music, this fella is perfect.

Youtube Video

While listening to Slacker radio on Spotify, I ran into this incredible math-rock band Chon. They've got some really polished sounds for the genre and a great mixture of up and down tempo beats.

Youtube Video

Finally, I've listened to Lux Prima, an album released by Danger Mouse and Karen O. I'd consider Danger Mouse the best producer in the biz at the moment and I've always been a fan of Karen O's vocals so I had high expectations for this album. While it doesn't break through towards being an outstanding album, it's a decent enough listen, with this particular single being the standout track. Worth a listen if you like these two artists, just don't expect too much from it.

• Finally got around to listening to Plastic Beach. It's kinda a mixed bag, I thought half the songs were really really good and the other half were just "alright." Personal favorites were Superfast Jellyfish, On Melancholy Hill, Empire Ants, Broken and To Binge.

• cosmic blackened death metal

Youtube Video

• IGOR

Youtube Video

Man, what can I even say about this one? As the latest album from Tyler, the Creator, this one had a lot to live up to. Flowerboy is my personal favorite album of all time, so naturally I was excited for this one, and I'm glad to say it doesn't disappoint.

Interestingly enough, the first time I listened to it I was rather let down. The instrumentation and the mixing felt muddy, especially when compared to its predecessor. However, after subsequent listens, I actually view that as the album's greatest strength. The best analogy I have for this album is that while Flowerboy was like a beautiful, polished gem, Igor was more like a raw diamond taken right out of the ground, dirty and grimy. Sure one of them looks prettier than the other, but both are of equal value.

IGOR is truly unlike anything I've ever heard. Tyler blends so many sounds so beautifully that it is honestly genre defying. He foregoes his usual rapping in favor of more hooks and choruses, though he still has some rap verses scattered throughout. He chose not to release any singles before the album, which makes sense because it really feels like a single, cohesive thing. Many songs bleed into each other, with there being a strong thematic purpose to their placement within the album. An example I can think of is at the end of one song, Jerrod Carmichael (who has spoken word snippets throughout the album) says something that directly references the tone of the next song.

I don't really know what else to say about the album other than the fact that I love it. I get to see Tyler on Wednesday, so I'm super excited for that. If I were to pick my favorite on the album, it would be NEW MAGIC WAND:

Youtube Video