What Are You Listening To?

• Finally got around to listening to Plastic Beach. It's kinda a mixed bag, I thought half the songs were really really good and the other half were just "alright." Personal favorites were Superfast Jellyfish, On Melancholy Hill, Empire Ants, Broken and To Binge.

• cosmic blackened death metal

Youtube Video

• IGOR

Youtube Video

Man, what can I even say about this one? As the latest album from Tyler, the Creator, this one had a lot to live up to. Flowerboy is my personal favorite album of all time, so naturally I was excited for this one, and I'm glad to say it doesn't disappoint.

Interestingly enough, the first time I listened to it I was rather let down. The instrumentation and the mixing felt muddy, especially when compared to its predecessor. However, after subsequent listens, I actually view that as the album's greatest strength. The best analogy I have for this album is that while Flowerboy was like a beautiful, polished gem, Igor was more like a raw diamond taken right out of the ground, dirty and grimy. Sure one of them looks prettier than the other, but both are of equal value.

IGOR is truly unlike anything I've ever heard. Tyler blends so many sounds so beautifully that it is honestly genre defying. He foregoes his usual rapping in favor of more hooks and choruses, though he still has some rap verses scattered throughout. He chose not to release any singles before the album, which makes sense because it really feels like a single, cohesive thing. Many songs bleed into each other, with there being a strong thematic purpose to their placement within the album. An example I can think of is at the end of one song, Jerrod Carmichael (who has spoken word snippets throughout the album) says something that directly references the tone of the next song.

I don't really know what else to say about the album other than the fact that I love it. I get to see Tyler on Wednesday, so I'm super excited for that. If I were to pick my favorite on the album, it would be NEW MAGIC WAND:

Youtube Video

• Been listening to it too, great album!

• @capnbobamous The hype has won me over and now I want to listen to Flower Boy first before getting into Igor.

I've been checking out FTL's soundtrack. Wonderful stuff, my favorite one's is this, it feels hopeful in a way that a first-time explorer would feel when starting out his/her journey.

Youtube Video

• @bam541 I think you should if only to see his progression as an artist. Some of IGOR's themes tie back into Flower Boy, and there are a few clever references to it as well. That said, know that they are radically different, so don't go into IGOR expecting more Flower Boy.

Edit: After reading this over, it sounds like I'm discounting Flower Boy's value. It is still my favorite album.

• Max Payne 3's OST is dope. It's equally moody and electrifying, with haunting ambient noises and hard percussion filling in many spots. Oddly enough it works well for studying, mileage may vary.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• New Flying Lotus album, and for the first time ever I'm kinda disappointed with FL. Still has that signature beat that I love, still that glorious bass and it still swings from jazz to electronica/hip hop masterfully but I feel he was kind of lost to where to progress. I like the album but I was expecting much more.

• Like everyone else, I decided to hop on that Tyler, the Creator train and listen to IGOR. The only album I've listened to from him has been Goblin back in 2011, so it's kinda incredible to see how much he has evolved as an artist and a producer. Love to see all the genre switches and how retro the album feels - certainly much less gruff from what I'm used to from him.

• A little bit of nostalgia to celebrate a wonderful surprise. Diving to the OST right now.
    Youtube Video

Before this I just finished listening to two albums:

1. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's Fishing for Fishies. I love the boogie rock style they're doing here. There's some cool left hooks too later on in the album. It's doesn't feel as tight as it could be, but it's doesn't drag on for too long. No fishie killin'.

Youtube Video

1. Descendent's Milo Goes to College. I have been warming up to the punk genre as a whole recently, so I'm trying to get into hardcore punk, starting with this album. It's quite short, but it's also feels so frantic. No stops are made, it's blast from front to back. Lots of cheeky moments in the lyrics too. I really enjoyed this one.

Youtube Video

Also, I'm very excited for King Gizzard's next project. They're going metal now.

Youtube Video

• Wilco's playing a live show right now.

Youtube Video

Makes me want to bust out their albums again.

• Needed more Prince in my life.

alt text

It's the second album compiled from his vault. Collection of demos for songs he wrote for other artists in the '80s.

• PUP's Morbid Stuff is a blast. Super exciting pop punk record, with playful lyrics and catchy motifs scattered all over it. Haven't listened to many new albums this year so far, but this is the best one so far for me.

Youtube Video

Also listened to Guerilla Toss' GT Ultra. The first thing I thought when trying to come up with how to describe this album is if LCD Soundsystem went full drug addict crazy. Not necessarily accurate, for sure. It feels way longer that it actually is, and not in a bad way. It's so thick, full of sound at all times.

Youtube Video

• Watched Batman Returns early this month, which introduced me to Siouxsie and the Banshees. Been listening to their '80s albums the last couple of days.

• @bam541

I'm a big punk fan. Def more into the hardcore era than I am the pop punk of the 1990s to 2000s but there is some good stuff in there too. A good way to ease in is to start with like OG punk from England like The Clash and move onto the 2 Tone Ska kinda stuff like The Specials then eventually with time you'll end up listening to FEAR, Bad Brains, The Addicts, Gorilla Biscuits, etc.

Basically... play the THPS games growing up until you accidentally become a hip hop, punk, metal head all in one

• @dipset You know what... Playing the old THPS games in order to catch up with those music genres sounds like a great idea (I only played minutes of THPS 2 and 4). Hitting multiple birds with one stone. I need to find a way to play those games soon, it would be so easy if someone made them available in current gen consoles... cough Activision cough

• @bam541

It unfortunately won’t happen cause the contract between Tony Hawk and Activision was a multi-year deal that expired so that means neither can release a game under that branding.

I rebuilt my Tony Hawk collection from 2012-2014. Every game store has them.

My favourite soundtracks are: THUG, THAW, THPS4, THPS3

• Listened to New Order's Power, Corruption and Lies for the first time... and I'm in love with this record, it's so damn good! It keeps bouncing back and forth between upbeat and slow, yet it never loses the catchyness of it all. My clear favorite right now is probably We All Stand. I'm so excited to listen to their other records, but I'm still hooked on replaying this one over and over.

Youtube Video

• This is so pleasant and nostalgic-sounding. Spotify recommendations nailed it on this one.

Youtube Video

• Listened to The Black Keys' Let's Rock. It's not the big thing I wanted it to be, but that's fine. It never really reached the highs of their best work, but it never got boring either. No obvious stand outs and downfalls. It's consistently solid, with good hooks in each song. Feels like a safe effort, for sure.

Youtube Video