What Are You Listening To?

• I went to this

I nailed this reply. 3/3 GOT EEEEM
    0_1567448539051_481af172-4dbb-4281-b6bf-563331a8e41f-image.png

• I've been listening to these two albums on loop pretty much lately!

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Also this playlist is pretty great

Youtube Video

• JPEGMAFIA's All My Heroes Are Cornballs

Youtube Video

I loved Veteran, but throughout Peggy teetered on unlistenable. So much of that album is abrasive and abstract to the point where it isn't really a fun listen. That's not to say there weren't some beautiful songs on there, 1539 N. Calvert being a particular highlight, but most of it sounded intentionally grimy and combative. In his most recent effort though, Peggy gets rid of most of the abrasiveness while still maintaining his abstract flair, resulting in a really beautiful album.

AMHAC is a really stunning album. Peggy still has his lyrical prowess, always in the middle of satire and sincerity, but with much more polish than on any of his previous work. He sometimes implements choruses, which were pretty much absent on Veteran if I remember correctly, and he utilizes autotune to sing some parts as well.

On Veteran, much of Peggy's stuff sounded like it could either be genius, or simply a combination of sounds that barely work individually, let alone together. On AHMAC, there is no more wondering; I truly believe Peggy is a genius producer. Much of it actually reminds me of the chaotic beauty of Nier Automata, with the frequent use of acoustic guitar. It always sounds somewhat chaotic, but it's chaos that makes sense. In fact, by the end of the album the chaos is barely noticeable, as if you forget that what you are listening to is not conventional.

There are many moments on the album that left me in shock during my first listen, only because I couldn't believe Peggy made something so beautiful. This is truly an enthralling album, and it is 100% in contention for AOTY.

• As much as I enjoy Ska whenever I come across it, it's not the kinda thing I've ever gone out of my way to listen to beyond just one song here and there. So I decided I'd finally change that a bit since screw it, I play THPS3 for like an hour a day anyway (no joke) I may as well listen to something new while I'm doing it.

Hello Rockview is great stuff, liked pretty much every song on it but I think my favorite was History of a Boring Town.

• Wilco's latest album, Ode to Joy, just came out and I'm really enjoying it. It's quite skeletal and stripped back instrumentally. Everything feels soft and pleasant.

Youtube Video

• I have been revisiting some albums from years ago that I have not listened to for a while.

Deerhoof's The Magic. Fun and eclectic lo-fi rock album. It can get too rough and crazy at times, but there's still fun to be had at those moments.
    Youtube Video

Preoccupation's self titled album. Very moody, cohesive and immersive post punk record. Might be one of my top 10 albums of this decade. If we ever do a best albums of the decade list here, I gotta take this for consideration.

Youtube Video

• For some reason the youtube algorithm recently decided I'm a Jamiroquai fan and I mean, I don't know what led it down that thought process but I'm not complaining.

Youtube Video

• cosmic death /black metal

Youtube Video

• Some fantastic hip hop coming out these days.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Nothing like a great new album and an awesome, free livestreamed show to revitalize one's love for a band.

Youtube Video

• New Off With Their Heads is pretty good.. really needed a good depressing punk fix

Youtube Video

• Have you ever unlocked something in your brain that was buried deep inside and then it sudden comes up out of the wood work and you're overwhelmed with nostalgia? Well that happened to me this month with Toto Cutugno - L'Italiano (1983)

I was scrolling through Instagram when Formula 1 posted a video of Sebastian Vettel singing the chorus of this song and it gave me a whirlwind of memories to being 3-5 years old and singing this all the time. It was my favourite song as a little kid and something happened and I forgot it ever existed. I've probably listened to it like 50 times this month.

M E M O R I E S!!

Vettel sings "L'Italiano" after winning the Singapore Grand Prix
    Youtube Video

Toto Cutugno - L'Italiano (1983)
    Youtube Video

• Been listening to a LOT of Jpegmafia, the last album is fantastic.

• @phbz It really is.
    PTSD and PRONE! are my fave tracks.

Also, here is some Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire.
    Youtube Video

• @phbz it's excellent! Might be my AOTY.

• @capnbobamous It will be that or Thom Yorke's Anima.

• @phbz Anima is definitely gonna make my top 10

• @capnbobamous same here, it's been growing on me too since my first listen, love it so much.

• I've been on the fence about how I truly feel on black midi's Schlagenheim for a while, but I think now I love it. It's so manic, doesn't pull any punches, but also can wind things down at times and sound just a tiny bit more pleasant than usual. It also sounds like the band is having one heck of a fun time performing these songs.

Youtube Video

Decided to show the live version above because I think the juxtaposition of the song being played and the venue it's in is so funny to me.

• Heavy D & The Boyz - Is It Good To You (Official Video)
    Youtube Video