What Are You Listening To?

• EUROVISION! \o/ When we get the results soon (in an hour or over) I'll tell you what my clear favourite is. The hype level depends on the results a bit.

• I LOVE HUNGARY this year! Joci Pápai and "Origo". This is what this whole competition is about. Originality, drawing from your own culture, emotion, beauty, pure art and passion. My God this is beautiful. Not just the song itself which I now adore, but what happens on the stage as well. That dance combined to this all just really hits me. Beauty in its purest form. Literally, I feel like crying with this. And the way that small pause is used in the song, just perfect. You can feel everything you see and hear. Hungary finished 8th this time (out of 26), but they're without a question my winner.

If you've ever been curious about Eurovision, check this out. There's that other playful side in the competition with many songs, too, but this is the other approach which speaks to you way more deeply at its best.

Youtube Video

• Welp, this year is turning out pretty interesting for me musically. In 2012, my favorite album of the year was Shields from Grizzly Bear. In 2013, my favorite album was Evil Friends by Portugal. The Man. Both are releasing records in the following months.

Youtube Video

Grizzly Bear is a band with a growing sonic presence. I'm a sucker for layered instrumentation with slight psychedelic influences and these guys just scratch that itch in a way few others can. While recording for this one, the fellas said they wanted to make more adventurous music and while that doesn't necessarily show in this single, it's still a great song.

Youtube Video

Portugal. The Man has to have one of the most interesting evolutions I've ever witnessed in an artist. Their initial album was frantic and pulsing, almost feeling like a screamo act with a better singer. They've been extremely prolific and I mostly just followed them with a passing interest until Evil Friends came out. That album easily makes a short list of things I can listen to whenever and it consumed me for well over a year - and still does on occasion. The cohesion present, the way songs not only flow thematically but also reference lyrics from previous/future tracks on the release is absolutely masterful. They've gotten much more weird, insightful, and downright funky. This album might be one that tops my favorites of the year if they keep up their recent pedigree.

Youtube Video

I don't think this track has been confirmed on their new album Woodstock, but it's certainly worth sharing. And hey look, it's Mary Elizabeth Winstead/Ramona Flowers.

• The awesome soundtrack to the documentary "The Smash Brothers"

Youtube Video

• Stefan Babcock from pup looks like Bosman's twin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMKP_XQi6Q
    Also Finn Wolfhard from stranger things who also stars in 2 of pup's music videos could pass as baby bosman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3Afg3fzAQ
    Youtube Video

Just throwing that out there, also pup is pretty cool. L&R

• Youtube Video

So besides this being an incredible cover of an already great song, it's done something else helpful for me - it's allowed me to get into the proper mindset to remove a huge mark of shame in my life. I had previously only seen about 4 or 5 Cowboy Bebop episodes and after listening to this jam right here, I fell in love so quickly that I'm already halfway finished with the entire series. I know I'm not saying anything new here, but Cowboy Bebop is a damn masterpiece.

• Global Moderator

Today I listened to the whole "Revenge" album by KISS not a bad listen

• I've been listening a lot to anime soundtracks, and my favorites by far are the openings to Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Great music to match
    my favorite historical anime.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

I honestly can't decide which I prefer since they're both so wonderful. I really wish I could download them.

• @Jaw_Knee

I love pup! Never heard that cover before either. I prefer there faster songs personally but it's all good stuff.

• Youtube Video

So my buddy I normally play Overwatch with is on his honeymoon and I decided last night I would just solo queue while listening to some music. I've always been meaning out to check this album from Battle Tapes and I don't know if it just start massaging my brain in all the right ways, but I was ending most games with wins and a 36-2 kill/death spread. It's certainly a lot more upbeat than a lot of what I listen to, great if you're in the mood for some filthy synth action.

• I've had a lot of work going on this evening, but luckily I've had one of the best soundtracks of all time keeping me company.

Youtube Video

• I'm perpetually listening to songs from the Prime games. A while back I found this high quality (as far as I can tell) version of Corruption's soundtrack and have been visiting it since. It's broken into two videos and the timestamps don't work, but there are only a handful of battle themes that grate. The rest are haunting, operatic space opera tunes.

Youtube Video

• I might be a wee bit obsessed with Eurovision songs lately, both past and present.

• @Inustar Does that include winning song from 2006 :D

There are actually plentiful of good songs that came from Eurovision, but there are more weird and boring songs than good ones if you ask me.

• @jipostus Oh, yeah of course.
    Hard Rock Hallelujah is probably my third favourite of the Eurovision winners, after Fairytale and Heroes.
    I love how ridiculous the contest can get, but yeah there are some bad songs. Granted I love the ridiculous and silly songs, it's the boring ones I hate.
    It's just usually so much fun to watch the performances.

• Word came out yesterday that Sistar would be disbanding after 7 years. I've been going through all their songs. These are some of my favorites. The queens of summer songs will certainly be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVUjmNMF8c
    Youtube Video

It's definitely a transition time in Kpop, almost all of the second generation girl groups have disbanded and the new ones are rising up. You almost can't recognize it anymore (but not in a bad way).

• Someboby gimme a J-Pop 101 please!

(Also new Gorillaz is cheeks)

• @GoTaco I would but the extent of my Jpop knowledge is Japanese songs by Korean artists. If you ever need at Kpop 101 let me know.

• @GoTaco Well I'd help but my knowledge is from about ten years ago. Used to obsessively love Jpop and Jrock, but haven't kept up with it.