What Are You Listening To?

• I have a special connection with Tyler, The Creator's music. I didn't start listening to him until Flowerboy, which I adored. Then IGOR came out and connected with me in ways that no other album ever has before. I was in the middle of massive heartbreak, and IGOR perfectly described the manic euphoria of love, and how gut-wrenching it is when it ultimately doesn't work out. It's corny to say that an album saved me, but it certainly gave me something to hold onto when I felt like I was free-falling.

In 2019 I was selected alongside only like 200 other people to be at a secret concert Tyler was doing for Apple Music. It was the first time he had ever performed IGOR live, and I got to be there in a small warehouse in Van Nuys to witness it, to feel it. It was one of the most impactful moments of my life.

The reason I say all this is just so that you can understand how much his music means to me, and so that when I say Call Me If You Get Lost may be his best outing yet, you know I mean it. In CMIYGL, Tyler returns to rapping, but he doesn't abandon the groove, soul, and emotion of IGOR. It's the perfect synthesis of everything he has done before. This is a hard album, but it's also sensitive, and has the kind of complex narrative through-line that he is now known for. Tyler spits some of the best bars of his career here. Only in this stage of his career could Tyler drop an 8 minute long song of straight rapping and have it be as consistently attention-grabbing and interesting as it is. Simply put, he's in top form, and his production is as wildly inventive as you would expect.

I can't say for sure if this'll overtake IGOR as my favorite album of his, but the fact that it's possible is a feat considering how important IGOR is to me. The only downside of the album is that now I have to wait another 2 years to get another one. Here's my current favorite track:

Youtube Video

• @capnbobamous said in What Are You Listening To?:

In 2019 I was selected alongside only like 200 other people to be at a secret concert Tyler was doing for Apple Music. It was the first time he had ever performed IGOR live, and I got to be there in a small warehouse in Van Nuys to witness it, to feel it.

I had no idea this happened! Must have been insane.

• This is incredible

Youtube Video

• @phbz

She's Canadian!

I've been a fan for a minute. Didn't love the album though tbh. Felt a bit Juggalo / Crunk-core at times. But I like Backxwash.

• @dipset I really like all the noise and distortion along with the powerful vocal presence. The whole visual presentation is fantastic too. This really hit the right spot for me.

• I'm not big on Wii Fit but this lovely piano tune from Wii Fit Plus sounds like it belongs in another game:
    Youtube Video

• @jdincinerator The Wii era has fantastic music.

• This is the best music possible for a character creation menu.

Youtube Video

• This album sounds like it's straight out of a lovely classic JRPG (without sounding dated), and it's great. Would have been great tracks for exploring towns and stuff.

Youtube Video

• I recall playing Skyward Sword on the Wii and remembering just how phenomenally majestic, elegant and spellbinding the Skyloft theme is:
    Youtube Video

• Currently obsessed with these two Art of Rally tracks.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video