Top 5 video game characters.

• 1) Vergil - Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - Special Edition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Sy6thXuvM
    While I'm overjoyed at the love Dante is receiving in this thread and forum wide in gneral, I must take this opportunity to tell you how amazing Vergil is. See, people often name him a villain, but he's not really. Spoilers aside, he's more of an anti-hero. Dealing with the same tragedy in a different way. Dante embraces his human side, compassion and protection, seeking the strength he lacked when he lost his family - despising the demonic side that caused strife.
    Vergil is like the opposite side of the coin. He embraces his demonic heritage, seeing it as the obviously stronger side of his dual lineage. If he was stronger, more of a demon, he may have been able to prevent the tragedy. He may not have been so emotionally devastated if it weren't for his human background. Vergil and Dante both start at a state of limbo. Neither are morally good or bad. Both seek the strength they lacked before. I love Vergil's side of the story. I find him more complex and wish for Capcom to continue the original Devil May Cry series to finish his story.

2) Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC5kHf58GMI
    I absolutely love Zelda's character in Skyward sword. She's not royalty in the beginning of this story. She's just a kid with aspirations and loves/encourages her goo friend, Link, to reach his potential. She's cheerful, protective, kind, and intolerant of bullshit. Shit goes to shit and she's thrown into her own journey. She's not kidnapped like she has been before, or suddenly changes character/disguise. She is confronted with her destiny and she embraces it and grows as a character. As she says to Link, she's still Zelda, the situation is just different. I loved that she was a fully realized character.

3) Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isoQtTK1-9I
    Wander, to me, is the most morally grey character on my list. A tragedy befalls him. And he seeks to reverse it by going to a taboo, forbidden land - do whatever it takes to get what he wants back, no matter what. His determination, even at the expense of his character figuratively and physically, is nice change from most protagonists. I don't want to spoil this game and I implore anyone reading this to please play this game if you haven't already~

4) Mitsuru Kirijo - Persona 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6uUIOQ-sc
    Okay, so Mitsuru is a strictly vain choice. We are the same age, have almost the same birthdays, and have a lot of the same interests, relationship with friends, and personality traits. I see a lot of myself in her, and because of that, I emotionally connected with her the most when playing this game. There's nothing else I can really say.

5) Tiki - Fire Emblem Series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_0UuoewsM
    So I don't want to delve into story since she's in multiple games. But she's really neat. She's also a dragon, and I really love dragons. Play Fire Emblem svp~

• The Boss (Metal Gear Solid 3)
    alt text

Nanami (Suikoden II)
    alt text

Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4)
    alt text

Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
    alt text

Joel (The Last of Us)
    alt text

There are many other characters I would love to put in my top 5 (The entire cast of Persona 4, George Prime, Naked Snake, MGS3 Ocelot, Tidus), but I picked these 5 characters because each one best represents their respective series.

The Boss, Nanami, Kanji, Cloud and Joel while on surface level are very different, are all made great in the same way. Each character is more complex than they first seem, and the player must dig deeper to understand who they really are. Every one of these characters has clear strengths, but more importantly clear weaknesses. These attributes are present in most characters, but rarely are as well written/implemented as The Boss, Nanami, Kanji, Cloud or Joel.

• Felt like replying to this thread because - and I'm not trying to stir anything up at all - I'm not bothered by characters in games most of the time. That's true of literature and film as well, for the record.

So this was genuinely pretty tough for me, here's who sprung to mind:

Rincewind / Discworld - A deeply flawed adventure game in the style of King's Quest and the like. I read the Discworld series as a pre-teen and loved them at the time, and still think of them fondly even if they've long since lost their lustre. Voiced by Eric Idle of Monty Python fame, Psygnosis' Rincewind is pretty bloody good, and manages to carry what would otherwise be a slog of a game.

John Marston / Red Dead Redemption - Clint in a video game. Still wish we could herd sheep on that ranch forever buddy.

Officer Tenpenny / GTA: San Andreas - Phenomenal villain, like going up against someone from a Tarantino flick. A high when he gets what's coming, but the world seemed that much emptier without him.

Francis York Morgan / Deadly Premonition - Kyle Maclachlan in a video game and them some. If you're not aware of the game just watch Supergreatfriend's LP, seriously:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL845B60D60A411471

Madeleine / Dragon's Dogma - No not for that reason, she's a welcome breath of humour early on, and if you follow her quest line ultimately a sympathetic character. She's actually fairly nuanced, in a title that oscillates between slapping you between the eyes with explanation and playing the "Story? What story?" game.

• Max Payne - I love his self-loathing nothing-to-lose attitude. A man hell-bent on vengeance and getting rid of scum. Even in Max Payne 3 I still love his alcohol and drug-addicted sarcastic character.

Trevor (GTA 5) - Essentially, Trevor acts like the psychopath that most of us act like when we play GTA games. When most people play GTA, they act like a complete maniac wreaking havoc across the city. Trevor is the manifestation of that attitude. I have no proof but I suspect this is how Rockstar created Trevor.

Doc (Punch Out) - Makes my list for being one of the first characters I can remember from games (at least, a fleshed out character with dialogue). Love his pep talks for matches, his encouragement when I'm hurt, and him pushing me to my limits in training while I run through NYC in my pink hoodie. Always knew that dude was in my corner.

Cortana (Halo) - Something about the way that she's an AI, and she represents the voice of logic in the midst of a hectic war. And hearing her is so comforting, no matter what crazy environment we're in.

Gordon Freeman (HalfLife) - Yeah, maybe this one is cheating since he sort has no character at all, or even a voice. But that's what's so compelling for me. The way that all of the characters and environment reacts to Gordon makes him so real and creates a fantastic narrative that you really become a part of... YOU are Gordon Freeman and you get sucked into the story and the world because of the way the game interacts with you.

• @flower_arrangement Renewind!!! Good shout

• 5 - Tron Bonne - A smart and tough girl who grew up with evil in her heart, she's a straight up future pirate that punishes her little servbots when they mess up but having met Megaman she warms up to the idea of doing good (while also holding on to a bit of her wicked side). She's a well written character who you can't help but fall in love with.

4 - Wesker - Right from the start Wesker exuded power and mystery. Sure he was the captain of S.T.A.R.S. at one point but his evolution is what makes him one of my favorite characters of all time. While he knows he can easily beat Chris or anyone in his path he enjoys toying with them yet he tends to let things take it's natural flow instead of watching them unfold (which of course comes to bite him in the butt like any evil villain but whatever). Seeing the hatred Wesker has for Chris grow over the series was fantastic which made him so much more than just a villain but an integral part of the series. The dialogue between him and Chris in RE5 is beautiful and makes you wish to hear more....sadly he dead now :frowning2:

3 - Chris / Jill - I can't decide here because Jill is awesome as she always keeps her cool no matter what deadly creatures she has to take down and she is also the master of unlocking. But while all this craziness is going down Jill radiates compassion and hope, something about her tone and her manner has always clicked with me. The way she forgave Barry for his actions always felt real to me not just something in a game (thanks to the VO for that, she did a fantastic job). And it doesn't hurt that Jill is a fine looking woman, seeing her in that wetsuit in Revelations almost made me break out into a sweat :laughing: I'm always happy to see Jill in the series, I just hope she starts dying her hair because the blond pigmentation look doesn't work for her.

Now I also picked Chris because all points I made with Jill go for him too (I mean look at Chris, he's a fine specimen of a man :sweat_drops:). My favorite moment probably has to be from RE5, a moment that always gets a few laughs for how dumb it apparently is, I am of course talking about the boulder punching. When I first saw this I was amazed because to me it seemed like something I would do. Chris isn't punching the boulder because it'll make it move but rather to pump himself up, he is getting frustrated that his partner may die and the one thing that could reunite them is proving to be a pain in the ass (pardon my french). So he punches it, forcing his blood to boil over which gets strength to work even harder thus allowing him to push the boulder over int he end. To me that moment tells a great story. Chris will always put himself in danger if it means to save a friend, a broken hand is hardly as bad as losing a partner. The same goes for Jill as she saved Chris by tackling Wesker through a Window plunging into the depths of the cliff and that is exactly the reason why I love these two. They will gladly sacrifice themselves to save another.

2 - Solid Snake - While Big Boss is an amazing person Solid Snake is my go to when it comes to Metal Gear. He was just another soldier doing a mission, a green horn, he was sent to infiltrate N313 an enemy complex run by some mysterious bad guy. All odds were stacked against him but he proved himself worthy, too worthy. He was betrayed by his Commander who threatened to kill him yet he again defied all odds and beat his superior and escaped the base. 4 years later he is asked to infiltrate another base in Zanzibar Land. As one of the top members of Fox Hound he does so only to once again find himself yet again being stabbed in the back by one of his friends. Having fought hand to hand in a minefield he moves on to be faced by a nightmare, his old Commander back from the dead. After all is said and done he decided to retire and escapes to the white wilderness of Alaska but after 6 years of peacefulness (or what little peace someone with countless deaths on his mind can have) he is forced to attend another mission in which he finds out that he is a clone of the Commander he fought years ago. Oh and he has a mechanical virus in him making him a walking detonator. But even after all this Snake still fights in, now for his own reasons, not letting people tell him what to do (unless they trick him, poor Snake). The man is followed by death just like his father, he fears growing old with another person so he pushes them away meaning only good but angering what few friends he has. All he knows is war, love and happiness is something he can't ever see himself having. You can't help but feel sorry for Snake, you want him to be happy, you want to hear that perfect story of him settling down with someone being happy the rest of his life, but that will never happen and it's depressing but that is life and that is why I love him. He saved the world on numerous occasions but has nothing to show for it. While Snake is one of the biggest bad-asses in video games, he also feels like the realest ones to me.

1 - Link - He's the greatest silent hero to ever grace video games in my opinion as Link isn't another one of those over-roided characters that seemed to be so popular 6 years ago. Link is just some guy who has this task of saving the world dropped in his lap and all he does is nod his head, grit his teeth and rush head first into danger because he feels it's the right thing to do but there's more to it than that. Link travels the land honing his skills while meeting new people that help him become stronger, he makes friends with almost anyone he crosses paths with and helps them without demanding anything in return, but out of the goodness of their heart people give him horses and stuff which is cool, and that is Link's greatest strength, his friendships. Without the people Link meets he could never even come close to defeating Ganon or whoever but thanks to his friends and the strength he musters to protect them all Link is able to overcome the odds and save the day again and even then he doesn't ask for any sort of fanfare, he's just happy his friends are ok.

• That's a tough one, I know I'll forget a few and I'll hate myself in the morning, but here goes:

Warcraft 3: Arthas
    The change he went through during the campaign was incredible.

Clementine from the Walking Dead
    I only played the first season, but she made such a huge impact. People may give me slack for it but I thought she was an uncomparably better character than Ellie from TLoU. Incredibly believable.

Liquid Snake, from the 1st MGS
    The first MGS was grounded in realism, and all characters were on the brink of being truly believable. Liquid Snake with his fatherissues in his struggle to beat his genetically superior brother, only to find out later he was the superior one all along, legendary.

Garrus Vakarian, Mass Effect
    Loved that guy the more I talked to him, specifically in ME1, especially the Dr. Heart sidequest.
    Has to share this spot with Saren too, one of the best antagonists in gaming for the past decade.

Duke Nukem. Hail to the King baby. Sure, DNF wasn't all it was cracked it up to be, but he is still one of the biggest badasses in this industry. When feminists scream bloody murder that all women in games are portrayed unrealisticly, I simply reply "hey, I don't exactly look like Duke Nukem either, but it's nice to live that illusion for just a little while".
    Talked to a 20 year old colleague yesterday, never heard the name before. Set him straight. He knows now. As he should.

Honorable mentions:

Deckard Cain, of Diablo 1 and 2 (3 was a sham, never happened)
    Alma, from Fear 1
    Pyramid Head, Silent Hill 2
    Nemesis, Resi 3
    Killer X, Condenmed 1 and 2
    Max Payne (1 and 2 ofcourse, 3 sucked)

• Solid Snake
    • Ellie (The Last of Us)
    • Solas (Dragon Age: Inquisition)
    • Garrus (Mass Effect)
    • The Prince (The Sands of Time)

• Wow. Just saw this thread and wanted to add my list. Its really difficult for me to just have five overall characters because I would struggle doing a top ten for several franchises (Looking at you Final Fantasy and Mass Effect), but after much thought, this is what I came up with. Please note these are characters from games I've played, so Link, Snake, and many of the other iconic characters of our beloved medium are left off because they may be great characters, I have just not experienced them. Also I don't think that I could go into great detail like some here, but I'll do my best. A final criteria I placed on myself is ONE per franchise. Without further ado:

#5. Ellie: The Last of Us - Ellie is a character I became more fascinated by the longer I played the Last of Us. I won't spoil it for you if you haven't played the game (and unless it doesn't appeal to you, what are you waiting for?) but the bond you build between her and Joel over the course of the game is so palpable, especially in light of the game's opening chapter. But what really did it for me was the climactic moment where she survives the Winter. The game design and pacing struck me to my foundation after witnessing that portion and I needed the break that was designed to really process what just happend. As a result, Ellie is a character who I feel is someone that was brought to life with incredible writing and exemplary acting.

#4. Ratchet: Ratchet & Clank series - Originally, I despised Ratchet. For those who haven't played the original, he was a complete jerk to Clank. However, the sequels worked this out and made him more enjoyable to play. By the time the series jumped to the PS3, Ratchet became a completely different Lombax. The reboot this year made him a slightly naive type character and I was of two minds. I wanted them to stay true to Jerk Ratchet and flesh out WHY he was such a jerk as opposed to just being one for the sake of it. However, his slightly gullible personality IS more likable... Anyway, he encapsulates friendship quite a bit but there is one character that I feel does better... But I'll get to him.

#3. Nathan Drake: Uncharted series - Nathan Drake was a typical archetype risk taker when I tried Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for the first time. However, over the course of the trilogy on the PS3, he had so much more depth. His entire interaction with Elena shows just how flawed he is and by the time Drake's Deception was through, I felt that the entirety of his character was so developed that if one personality trait were to be missing than Drake wouldn't be Drake. Then Unchated 4 happened. Because the game is so recent, saying ANYTHING about his character development is a spoiler but I will say this: A Thief's End SKYROCKETED Drake into my top 5.

#2. Marcus Fenix: Gears of War series - Marcus is the one character I've come across who would do anything for anyone, but his relationship with Delta Squad, particularly with Dom and Anya, show just how far he is willing to go for those he cares about most. While it may be a slight cop-out, the novels REALLY flesh out this characteristic. And in going to such lengths, he deals with all the shit that comes his way through gritted teeth and an air of "I'm the only one who can get this done." By the time Gears of War 3 happens, the overall story arc was becoming a bit tiresome, but the big climax of the game was the epitome of his relationship with those around him.

#1. Auron: Final Fantasy X - Without question, Auron is my favorite character of all time. When you see him at the beginning of the game, he immediately sparks questions. His cool demeanor and design is so fascinating and when he becomes a permanent member of the party, he is the one character who is interesting (that speaks at that point. Kimahri is awesome but he takes awhile to talk). By the time you learn of his driving desire, he is shown to be more than Mr. Cool, Calm and Collected, but flawed by failure. And his ultimate reveal is one that I enjoy still to this day.