Selective Creation: Make the Best NES/SNES List!

• Let's go Retro! Time to make another definitive list with the combination of the NES and SNES! Because I'm bundling two systems into one list, I'm uping the cap to 30. The breakdown in this list and can go any which way; one system doesn't have to have a cap on the other. If this entire list is SNES games, so be it. If there's a mix between the two, that works as well.

SO: As always - Quick rule refresher for potential new players:

Here's the breakdown: You've been given the power to green-light 30 games, but here's the catch: these 30 games will be the ONLY NES/SNES games to ever exist. What should be the games that make the cut? By giving 30 select titles, you are essentially playing an inverse of Kill Your Babies.

You can only give one title until four people have added after you OR 12 hours have passed since the last overall addition, NOT NECESSARILY YOURS, so think really hard about which game should be on the list. It could be your favorite game, or if your favorite is already present, then you can add another you hold dear. Or if you hate the NES or SNES (for whatever reason), get to trolling if that makes you happy.

To try to have a little diversity, I'm instituting a TWO per franchise cap. So if two entries of a series get put on the list, a third CAN NOT be added.

Once you have given a game, please keep a running list going for the benefit of the next person that would like to play. Because I'm pitching the game, I will refrain from adding to the list unless absolutely necessary because it would be unfair for me to skew the list in my favor.

And so Allies, what are the 30 games that should define the NES and SNES?

Have fun!

• Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

DKC defined my childhood gaming years, and this is my favorite entry. It's my favorite platformer, and I know it inside and out.

• Super Mario World for sure. One of if not my favorite Mario games. Tight platforming. Fun stages. Yoshi! Cape. Secret exits. All around jolly.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X

One of my favorite games of all time, definitely my favorite game I've ever played on a Nintendo console at least, nevermind one by Capcom/in the Mega Man series.

• I duno, putting 2 systems with such extensive libraries together doesn't feels right.

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana

So fantastic.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III in the US)

My favorite game of all time

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV

Damn what a game. For me, it mastered the original aspect of level-based Castlevania by making everything smoother: the controls, the whip, the graphics, the sound. Damn, it ties for my favourite Castlevania with SOTN and is just fucking beautiful!

• @Churchy Super Castlevania IV holding up to SOTN is not a statement that is made lightly... And yet I do agree. It holds up with SOTN, easily. Super Castlevania IV and Symphony Of The Night are the two best Castlevania games. Super Castlevania IV is best "standard castlevania", and SOTN is the best Metroidvania style Castlevania.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Mario World II: Yoshi's Island

I loved this game back in the day, and it still holds up relatively well (as long as you don't get hit that is...)

• @jipostus Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. This was going to be my second game so I'm glad someone else got to it. Now I have to think more about what is next because I assume Yoshi's Island is considered the second from the franchise and keeps any other Mario game from existing.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Chrono Trigger

The definitive jrpg in my opinion.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Chrono Trigger
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

One of my favorite games, and my personal favorite Zelda game. :)

• @TokyoSlim Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy VI. Epic Squaresoft Trio, of which all three still hold up to this date. These games are some of the best of the entire RPG genre.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Chrono Trigger
    EarthBound

Playing through this game again right now, and man I love it. I think it's so unique in style and tone, such jolly vibes throughout.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Chrono Trigger
    EarthBound
    Aladdin (SNES)

I loved this game as a kid.

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Chrono Trigger
    EarthBound
    Aladdin (SNES)
    Kirby Super Star

The best Kirby game, and still a wonderful co op game to play today.

• Also, so far all entries on this NES/SNES list are all SNES games... Whoops?

• @jipostus Super Mario Bros 3 may have made it, but that franchise has all slots taken. SNES games are just better for the most part.

• @Billy

Could just change SMW to Super Mario All Stars

Billy 15 minutes ago

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Chrono Trigger
    EarthBound
    Aladdin (SNES)
    Terranigma

Second best rpg on the system after FFVI

• @Churchy said in Selective Creation: Make the Best NES/SNES List!:

Super Castlevania IV

Damn what a game. For me, it mastered the original aspect of level-based Castlevania by making everything smoother: the controls, the whip, the graphics, the sound. Damn, it ties for my favourite Castlevania with SOTN and is just fucking beautiful!

I couldn't get into it, it didnt feel right control wise, granted I didnt play it much. I enjoyed SOTN and Bloodlines a lot more

I do need to give it another try

Super Mario World
    Mega Man X
    Secret of Mana
    Super Castlevania IV
    Chrono Trigger
    EarthBound
    Aladdin (SNES)
    Terranigma
    The Legend of Zelda

The original Zelda holds up in my opinion.

Youtube Video