The Games that Made you a Gamer

• @Oscillator Ah unfortunately we never recorded it.. though we did play it live all the time :[

Its been years since I've played it. I've been thinking about grabbing it on steam with some mods to jump back in

• What was your first game?
    I guess that would be Silent Hunter. A submarine naval warfare game on PC from 1996. But I think I was too young at that time to actually played it, i usually watched my dad play it and baby-me would fall asleep. I think I also played the game soon after.

What was the game/s that clicked and made you a "gamer" and why?
    That would be The Settlers 3. A strategy game from 1998 on PC. Why? Not quite sure, to be honest. It was sooo colorful, the visuals were just so nice and pleasing. Great art direction. Then I guess there were the freedom to build your own kingdom or an empire. The creativity of managing your empire and the strategy of development and warfare that the game allows made it always interesting. Also, overtaking your enemy with a giant army was extremely fun.

What is your favorite game and why?
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (2004). It was the first game where my jaw dropped multiple times. I was so shocked and impressed that a game can look so good, have so amazing combat, have so intense and surprising story and that it could make character so real. A single game achieved all of that for me and very few games achieved equal or better quality. Even after replaying it MULTIPLE times, I lways learned something new or I've always something else that I admire about it. To this day, I think both Sands of Time and Warrior Within are one of the "best games ever" though everyone can interpret that list differently.

First game was Turrican II on Amiga 500. I love this game to this day, and the Soundtrack has been engraved to my brain, permanently. I can see myself on my later years, demented, on a wheelchair, humming music from this game.

That would be Secret of Mana on SNES. I played that game with my friend, and we loved every moment of it. That point onwards, I knew I wanted to play even more games, and have fun.

I will have to give this to Ancient Domains of Mystery, or ADOM as it's often referred as. I love the depth, the possibilities and the world of this game. Yes, it's pretty rough for a newcomer to find this game appealing, because of the very steep learning curve, but I assure you, it's at least worth to try it out. And best of all, anyone can do that FREE.

I feel like I'm repeatedly praising ADOM and Turrican II, but I can't help it. I love those two games, and nothing will change that easily.

• First Game: i think it was either the tengen copy of afterburner on nes or megaman 3 not sure i got my mom's friends son's nes when he got a snes this was probably 1996 or 97

First game that resonated with me: mario 3 it was the first game i would ask friends about and wed share cheats however by the time i got mario 3 i was in grade 2 or 3 so the n64 was already out

Favorite Game: Ocarina of time i would finish that game just to start over from the very beginning again loved that game and while i dont play it much anymore i still go back from time to time

• @Oscillator Oblivion has some awesome DLC, check out the Shivering Isles

• @ACardAttack said in The Games that Made you a Gamer:

@Oscillator Oblivion has some awesome DLC, check out the Shivering Isles

Maybe, after I've had my fill of the base game.

• First Game

No idea. I had a Game Boy Color, an N64 was my first console, and at the same time my father owned a PS1. Could be anything from these platforms.

What game clicked?

Certainly somewhere between Spyro (2?) and Pokemon Blue. I mean I played a lot of the PS1 and Nintendo catalog in the 90s-2000s as a little boy. It's hard o remember everything from such a young age but the music in these games stand out. I could hum them perfectly because I played them so much. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater a little bit later.

Favourite game

This falls more under the category of memories than objective criticisms. I could pick a lot but I'm just going to say Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 or Tony Hawk's Underground. The series, and especially these games, shaped my life and interests outside of gaming. It helps that they are timelessly fun and challenging.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• First game?
    My first game ever was probably Super Mario Bros. on NES, when it shared a cartridge with Duck Hunt (and yes, I had the Zapper too). I switched between those games constantly, and by the time I was 5 I was already racing against myself to try to see how fast I could finish the game without using Warp Zones. The NES was my mom's before me, and we played games together a lot as our way of spending time together. She really loved showing me how to play.

What game clicked?
    I pretty much knew that I was destined to play games, since both of my parents are pretty big gamers. My mom likes puzzle games, Double Dragon-style beat-'em-ups, point-and-click adventure games, and platformers, and my dad likes GTA-style open world games and racing games. I really like all of those genres, but the game that finally clicked for me as being definitively "my game" was Final Fantasy X, and JRPGs are still some of my favorite games to date.

Favorite game?
    There are a lot of games that I've loved and which have resonated with me in totally different ways and for totally different reasons. Honorable mentions go out to Final Fantasy VI and X, Civilization V, Life is Strange, League of Legends, The Beginner's Guide, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Pokemon Sapphire, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. But my pick for favorite game goes to The Cat Lady. It's a point-and-click adventure game produced by an extremely small team, but it has masterful storytelling. The way it brings together a grim art style, horror elements, and magical realism to explore extremely dark subjects in an accurate and respectful way is nothing short of incredible.

• @GoTaco said in The Games that Made you a Gamer:

Favourite game

This falls more under the category of memories than objective criticisms. I could pick a lot but I'm just going to say Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 or Tony Hawk's Underground. The series, and especially these games, shaped my life and interests outside of gaming. It helps that they are timelessly fun and challenging.

Fun fact, the THPS 4 intro is what turned me into a hardcore AC/DC fan.

My first vivid memory of a game is Sonic the Hedgehog. I never had it but my cousins did and watching them play, being told I was playing as Tails when I really wasn't, and hopefully at some point playing myself was my first gaming memory. I didn't end up owning my own console until later and it was a SNES (bonus story about getting it at the end). I had Super Mario Allstars packaged with Super Mario World so all of those games I played a ton.

There were probably a couple. The first I can remember is Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. I loved that game so much and it was the first RPG game I ever played so the exploration, figuring out what to do next, battling system, and story all gripped me from the start. I still make a point of going back and replaying it every handful of years or so.
    Ratchet & Clank was probably another one that clicked for me. I remember seeing commercials for that game leading up to it and finding them hilarious. I loved the action, crazy weapons, and story in that first game so much and played that game to no end.
    Last would be Kingdom Hearts. It came out at that perfect time for me when I was in that middle school stage. Everyone else was learning to be cool, and playing dark and gritty games but I didn't care. I remember seeing a commercial with tons of Disney characters and sweet music and knew I had to have it. Probably the first game I anticipated and had hype for and I knew nothing about it. That was how middle school me discovered play what you want to play.
    It was in that PS2 era with games like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, and Kingdom Hearts where my love for video games really took off and it wasn't just going to be something I did for fun when I couldn't play with friends, but a huge part of who I would be.

I already mentioned two of my favorite games, Ratchet & Clank and Kingdom Hearts. I love these two series so much. I would say that I think my favorite Ratchet & Clank is actually R&C:Up Your Arsenal. I really liked the story in that game, the slightly more openness to some of the areas, and they refined the controls by that point. It was also the first online game I really played and I was good at it. Both of these series I go back and replay every could years.

Bonus Story:
    I mentioned my cousins having Sonic and I being interested in video games. I don't remember the exact age but I think I was around 5 years old when my aunt was getting married. They wanted me to be the ring bearer or something but I wanted nothing to do with it (I was always shy and quiet, hated attention). Somehow I managed to get my parents to say they would buy me a SNES if I would be in the wedding and I absolutely took them up on that offer. The SNES was old at this point, the N64 might have even been out or at least around the corner, but I didn't care because it was mine and I could finally play all of these awesome games whenever at home. My family jokes, all in good fun, about twice a year how that was the deciding moment that shaped my life, and blame my aunt and uncle for who I became.