Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread

• Echoing most everyone's sentiments, this is the show I look forward to the most. Watching Mr. Jones go through the game in such a way that is different from a "regular" run is so great. The fact that Mr. Bosman keeps a straight face when Mr. Jones guesses some things is commendable. I REALLY hope Jones doesn't burn the Master Ball on what he's about to encounter (for episode 7 I imagine). Since the Eeveelutions have been teased, I wonder if the fossils will be brought back up pretty soon.... Also, IF there is an entire episode dedicated to just trying to find and catch as many as possible, that's probably going to be the point where trades and stones get fully explained. I posted in the Patreon section (I think) that it would be pretty cool if Mr. Jones would be willing to write out his current Pokedex so we all can know what he has YET to see and Mr. Bosman can direct him accordingly. And I just remembered the version specific pokemon like Electabuzz, Magmar, Scyther and Pinser. Wow. Mr. Jones I feel has about three or four episodes left within the series. Finally $102 K? Really? Stingy with his cash like his TMs....

• @Sparks said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

I'm glad Kyle nudged Jones on ignoring the Eevee. I really want to see him join the main party

I know Eveelutions have been teased by Kyle at a couple of points but I don't think Brandon has twigged that you need to use the Elemental Stones to do it. Also that each stone causes a different evolution.

I think it would be bad for Brandon if he ended up just evolving his Eevee with the first stone he tried on it rather than choosing between Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon.

• I'm pretty surprised he guessed it, too. I recall when I was 7 playing this game for the first time and wondering where the final gym was. Had to keep circling the map before finding it in Veridian City. I remember stumbling on it and being like "Oh, it's the locked gym from 2 months ago!"

• @thenerdtheword said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

I think it would be bad for Brandon if he ended up just evolving his Eevee with the first stone he tried on it rather than choosing between Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon.

Nah, let him try it. Then let him become even more amazed when he realises he could've chosen later on.

• @Krauser is there anyone in the game that tells you it evolves into different things? I haven't played R/B/Y in over a decade (since Fire Red/Leaf Green came out). I don't see Brandon playing another game of this gen, so it's better to leave him up to his own devices. I am glad, however, that he was told to save before something in the cave.

• @SweetJohnnyCage I am not entirely sure, but I think there is at least one NPC that tells you there are 'several ways' to make Eevee evolve into 'several evolutions' or something. Also, Eevee's Pokedex entry already states "it may mutate if it is exposed to radiation from element Stones."

• @thenerdtheword I think he shouldn't know about that to be honest. If he botches it and gets a Flareon then so be it. I honestly think that he wouldn't want any of the evolutions regardless due to his current team (already having water/fire/electric).

• @Krauser ok that's what I thought. I keep picturing a table with 3 pokeballs in my head that bring up the Pokedex entries for the evolutions, but I could definitely just be imagining that that's a thing.

• @SweetJohnnyCage You can get the different pokedex entries for each of them very early on when you visit bill (if you go back after transforming him and use his PC). I don't think he explicitly says anything though.

• @brspies said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

@SweetJohnnyCage You can get the different pokedex entries for each of them very early on when you visit bill (if you go back after transforming him and use his PC). I don't think he explicitly says anything though.

Yea, nothing is stated explicitly but getting Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon's data will show them right under Eevee if you check the dex. I have confidence that Jones can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that they're related in someway, and eventually how.

• @Dirokia It's why I thought it was so funny when he got pissed that Bill wouldn't talk about his favorite pokemon. If he had just come back he could have seen them.

• Just watched the latest ep (episode 7), and this is one of my favorites series. I am a bit disappointed they wont be doing one on the second gen, cause it would have been exciting to see what Jones would think of all the changes.

When Jones was talking about the money thing in the episode it reminded me of something interesting that I thought you might like to know. If you ever where like" hey how come when I beat this kid he just gives me like 400 dollars, like how is that kid so loaded". As I'm sure you are aware these games come from Japan. While in America they always use what fans like to call "pokedollars", in all the Japanese games they just use yen. so in the game when ever you look at your money instead of seeing that weird P symbol (which is based off of one of the symbols for yen) it would just say like 400円(yen). From what I remember of the exchange rate 400 yen is like about $4 so the kid is actually just giving you pocket money. the same with when you buys something from the store and its like 1000 "pokedollars" its really just like $10.

Also a side note , idk if it is possible or even if they would be willing to do it , but I feel if Kyle and Jones watched that pokemon anime OVA that came out a while back called pocket monsters: the origin. I think it might give them some new perspectives on some of the things that happen in the game (minus all the mega evolution stuff the shoehorned into it at the end) I think it a really good retelling of what the original games story is supposed to be. maybe it will also contextualize some of the stuff in the game for them.

so yea this is getting kinda rambley, but I can't wait so see the final battle

• About the final word where they criticize the logic of Pokemon difficulty, it really does make sense that the the smarter trainers would have more Pokemon as a sign of their difficulty. It really comes down to the design, and how designing a mechanically sound game can get in the way of designing a game that suspends the player's belief.

I'm certain that the focus was to keep the difficulty of the trainers low because it's a game with a target audience of the younger crowd. The designer probably had a plan of how many encounters the player would go through and how long it will take them to get from one objective to another, so as soon as the designer starts balancing based on feedback, they realize that it's too hard, they have to remove pokemon, or it's too short from one objective to another, so they have to split encounters into two. The thought of making it believable is thrown out the window, and I would expect that dialogue is one of the last things on the designers mind that they randomly thought of dialogue that fits the setting rather than making sure the context of the dialogue makes sense with the gameplay.

I like to call game designers something else more appropriate: magicians, or illusionists to be precise. A game designers job is to make sure that they can trick the player into believing that they are in that world. Spreadsheets, maths, all of that are just tools to obtain that goal as the designs have to be perfect so it won't take the player out of the game just like it did with Brandon. Just the simple idea that Gym trainers not holding 6 pokemon is enough to break the suspense of disbelief.

It's not a big deal since the game is mechanically sound for an open RPG, but they could definitely improve this design.

• I was thinking it might also be to keep trainers from having a lot of overlapping pokemon , remember the trainers and gym leaders are mostly broken up into type and its gen one so there aren't like a bazillion of each type yet. So for team diversity sake they probably didnt give everyone six even later in the game. If they kept giving everyone 6 pokemon at some point they would run out of unique team combos. especially if you didn't want every team to be first stage of pokemon then evolved form.

• @WiedThin well that was a theme in x and y

• @CaptainSlug That's not the point they were trying to make. They were saying that when a trainer has a dialogue saying, "I am the master of water pokemon" and only throws out one of the same type and only has three of them, then their dialogue shouldn't say they are the master.

Trainers with 6 Pokemon should be reserved for Gym trainers and the Gym Leader especially. Gyms are supposed to be the boss battle, but you just fight Misty who only has two Pokemon.

• Brandon seems dead set on Sun & Moon. I guess it would be more fun for him that way since he'll be playing head-to-head with Kyle (despite what we think is the best next step objectively).

Though, Brandon's head will probably explode from the information overload. xD

• @Crimz said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

Brandon seems dead set on Sun & Moon. I guess it would be more fun for him that way since he'll be playing head-to-head with Kyle (despite what we think is the best next step objectively).

That's what I was thinking: how is he gonna handle the GIGANTIC changes in gameplay when he jumps from Gen 1 to Gen 7? All those new types, the Attack/Sp. Attack changes, the double battles, abilities, natures, held items... And let's not forget that he'll suddenly have 550+ new Pokémon to learn about.

• @Krauser said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

@Crimz said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

Brandon seems dead set on Sun & Moon. I guess it would be more fun for him that way since he'll be playing head-to-head with Kyle (despite what we think is the best next step objectively).

That's what I was thinking: how is he gonna handle the GIGANTIC changes in gameplay when he jumps from Gen 1 to Gen 7? All those new types, the Attack/Sp. Attack changes, the double battles, abilities, natures, held items... And let's not forget that he'll suddenly have 550+ new Pokémon to learn about.

Brandon's notes each week for Sun and Moon.

alt text

• Brandon said a bunch of times they aren't planning on doing a "Brandon Plays Pokemon" for Sun & Moon.

Although I wouldn't mind at least a "First Impressions". Maybe not its own video, but as an add-on to a group night stream or podcast.