Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread

• Brandon seems dead set on Sun & Moon. I guess it would be more fun for him that way since he'll be playing head-to-head with Kyle (despite what we think is the best next step objectively).

Though, Brandon's head will probably explode from the information overload. xD

• @Crimz said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

Brandon seems dead set on Sun & Moon. I guess it would be more fun for him that way since he'll be playing head-to-head with Kyle (despite what we think is the best next step objectively).

That's what I was thinking: how is he gonna handle the GIGANTIC changes in gameplay when he jumps from Gen 1 to Gen 7? All those new types, the Attack/Sp. Attack changes, the double battles, abilities, natures, held items... And let's not forget that he'll suddenly have 550+ new Pokémon to learn about.

• @Krauser said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

@Crimz said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

Brandon seems dead set on Sun & Moon. I guess it would be more fun for him that way since he'll be playing head-to-head with Kyle (despite what we think is the best next step objectively).

That's what I was thinking: how is he gonna handle the GIGANTIC changes in gameplay when he jumps from Gen 1 to Gen 7? All those new types, the Attack/Sp. Attack changes, the double battles, abilities, natures, held items... And let's not forget that he'll suddenly have 550+ new Pokémon to learn about.

Brandon's notes each week for Sun and Moon.

alt text

• Brandon said a bunch of times they aren't planning on doing a "Brandon Plays Pokemon" for Sun & Moon.

Although I wouldn't mind at least a "First Impressions". Maybe not its own video, but as an add-on to a group night stream or podcast.

• @Stormcrownn I hope they change their mind on that, I'm hoping anyway since they'll have a few months in between the games.

It's up to them, of course, but I always will be happy for more of this series and I think him playing through a new game at the same time as Kyle could be fun. I assume the holidays will be busy for them though.

• @Inustar said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

@Stormcrownn I hope they change their mind on that, I'm hoping anyway since they'll have a few months in between the games.

It's up to them, of course, but I always will be happy for more of this series and I think him playing through a new game at the same time as Kyle could be fun. I assume the holidays will be busy for them though.

Yeah it would be great, but Brandon has said that it has been more difficult to enjoy the game outright when he has the shadow of the show looming over him. He did say there would be a discussion episode or two with him and Kyle once they finish.

• Hey does anyone know if Jones is aware of Red/Blue pokemon exclusivity as well as trading exclusive evolutions?

Also, updated the OP for episode 7 :)

• @Lexad I agree with his thoughts, but I would be dying during those 1-2 months waiting for what he thinks of the game. Getting a few tweets for his first impressions would be so not right.

• @SweetJohnnyCage I'm pretty sure he doesn't know, no.

@Stormcrownn said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

Brandon said a bunch of times they aren't planning on doing a "Brandon Plays Pokemon" for Sun & Moon.

They don't need to, just the fact that Brandon will jump from Gen 1 to Gen 7 is going to be hard for him to keep up with, even if its a casual playthrough.

I'd much rather have a Brandon Plays Pokémon on Gold/Silver/Crystal. Release those on Virtual Console, Nintendo. Make it happen.

• And it makes more sense because Gen2 is kind of a direct sequel to Gen1...

Imagine his reactions to Team Rocket coming back, seeing old characters in the Elite 4, going back to Kanto, and battling against Red. I'm especially concerned about the last one, Red has made many appearances since then and it would obviously spoil the surprise.

I really hope they reconsider, for Jones' sake.

• Easily the best EZA videos,alot of fun to watch.

• Damn super nostalgic. After this episode I went to my basement and looked around for 5 minutes if I still had my link cable. Yup still there with my green gameboy pocket.

• The live trading is cool. Bosman's great idea with the phone camera cut was genius.

There was something that sparked an idea in me during the trading conversation. When they were talking about how Bosman revealed his lineup, that's when I realized this idea. It would be super cool if your friends in your whatever Nintendo friend list thing become mini bosses in your game. It's like the Old Monk boss battle of Demon's Souls where you get pulled into a PVP battle with having all of your gear, and you're the boss for that player.

So the idea would be that the friends would occupy a certain spot in various areas (not Gym masters) in the world with their line up, but having all of the Pokemons and skill set. Also, it would only take the Pokemon that they had up to the point they cleared that area so that it would be fair in terms of levels and skill set. You would also be able to tell it is a special PVP friend npc because it looks totally different from other NPCs. Have these scattered around the world to alleviate the 'dumb Pokemon trainers with no 6 pokemons' problem. I think it would be super sweet to fight your friends in an asynchronous PVP system.

• Really hope Jones plays Heart Gold/Soul Silver at some point. It's soooooo good! Am thinking of going back and playing it myself, it's been over 6 years since I played it.

Would be really cool to have a community playthrough with a knockout tournament at the end too!

• Honestly I'd find it much more interesting to see how Brandon copes with the "This is how it is now" aspect of diving right into a brand new generation. So much stuff mechanically has changed, but at the same time there hasn't been a pokemon game in ages that didn't have a "Pokemon School" or something that straight up teaches you every mechanic in the game so he really should be fine in that regard. The whole flow of Gold and Silver would spoil how the new ones present it anyway, and that's something I'm pretty sure should be saved as a wow factor (for better or worse).

• @Whoaness said in Brandon Plays Pokémon - Official Discussion Thread:

The live trading is cool. Bosman's great idea with the phone camera cut was genius.

Absolutely agree.

Also, I'm so damn proud that Brandon

found the Power Plant and Zapdos on his own.

• I wish Kyle would take a look at this, especially now that we are getting into final adjustments soon enough

alt text

I think I already said it once already in this thread BUT, if brandon decides to pick up gen 2 Johto after playing the newest gen ---> Gold/Silver > HeartGold/SoulSilver

• No episode today FeelsBadMan

So I have a feeling that next week will be the climactic finale of the series.

• @theabram

Brandon Jones ‏@TrailerJones 3h3 hours ago
    Gym (the non-Pokemon type), then Brandon Plays Pokemon, then SDCC Cup of Jones, then training for tomorrow's BPP Battle!

Kyle Bosman ‏@KyleBosman 1h1 hour ago
    @TrailerJones please stop leveling up. You're going to embarrass me

I sincerely hope Kyle's Grimer is now a Muk if that in fact was his team. I really liked his Hypno's moveset and nickname. Excited to see what trick he has up his sleeve to blow Brandon away.

• Can't wait for either new generations in Pokemon GO or Sun&Moon release (which ever comes first). Just the flood of new creatures for Brandon to gobble.