Hidden gem game recommendations

• @Tommynaut21 Square used to be pretty special... bummed. sigh

• Xenogears!
    I know a lot of people know it, but I don't hear a lot of people talking about it anymore. It's long and weird, but it's got such a great soundtrack and I love the mech battles.

Vagrant Story, as someone else mentioned, is an under appreciated Square Enix game.

• @Inustar I'd LOVE for a remake of Xenogears with a completed Disc 2. Dreams can happen sometimes

• SINGULARITY

It is the DEFINITION of hidden gem, it flew way under the radar and deserves so much credit. Cool mechanics, great gameplay, and really interesting storyline with time travel shenanigans. If you like linear first person shooters, it is a romp every step of the way with awesome guns and some nice twists along the way.

• @Mechanoid I feel like they are slowly making a comeback. Dragon Quest is coming to the west, maybe not as fast as one could hope but its happening one way or another. They are greenlighting stuff like Nier Automata which no one in their right mind would be like "yeah thats a good idea" and their final fantasy output is better than its been in a long time. 15 looks like itll be good, and World of Final Fantasy looks like it could go down as one of the greats. I am Setsuna looks super comfy as well. They just really need to take a deep dive into their old IP and bring some back or just go all out and make some new interesting titles.

• @Tommynaut21 said in Hidden gem game recommendations:

@Inustar I'd LOVE for a remake of Xenogears with a completed Disc 2. Dreams can happen sometimes

I am normally pretty down on remakes, but damn... this would be a dream come true since I have since found I lack the energy to playthrough this game again. I would love to see some modern gameplay mechanics added in.

• @Tommynaut21 All very true. I am SUPER HYPED for I am Setsuna myself :heart:

• @Inustar The one dungeon with the jumping where if you enter a battle it messes up your jump and you fall is the sole reason why I dont go a replay that game every year. Who thought that was a good idea

• @Mechanoid Really wish we were getting a physical version, that or a small discount since its digital only here. $40 is pretty steep for me.

• I'll just say my favorite game, Azure Dreams. It is a fun little mystery dungeon game. Your goal is to reach the top of a tower, all while collecting items, eggs, and saving your town! You can use the eggs to hatch monster to take into the tower with you! When you are in the tower, you and your monster level up. When you leave, your level resets but your monster stays strong. You buff up your monsters (and weapons) until you feel you are strong enough to take on the highest levels! There is also small quests in town to get various girls to fall in love with you. This game is fantastic!

@Mortambulist Hell yea! Love that guy. Need to play it more though.

• @DeweyDTruman Seeing this reminded me of this lesser known classic:

Youtube Video

There's also this "gem"

• Nier - Really great OST and story. Has a little bit of a slow start, but very worth pushing through.

Fishing Resort - Weird fishing RPG for the Wii. It's kind of like if the fishing in Animal Crossing got blown up and taped together with Dragon Quest. Just don't go in with super high expectations, or you might be a little disappointed. It's really good, but rough around the edges.

Way of the Samurai - It's a Samurai adventure game. There are different endings depending on the choices you made. I've played the first and third in the series.

Suikoden - I'd highly recommend playing the entire series, but if you don't have time for that be sure to at least play 1, 2, and 5 (In that order). Suikoden is a RPG series with a great narrative and world. You recruit 108 characters for your army, who then go hang out at your home base/castle. Go buy and play them right now!

Dragon's Dogma - Another game with a slow start, but worth pushing through. Open World Action RPG. Bland story for the most part, but there is something incredibly special about existing in that world.

• Kyle said it multiple times and after getting a platin a few weeks ago I have to agree with him

Youtube Video

Fills the hole that was left by SSX, Tony Hawk , Pure and Split Second (I still hate Disney for closing Black Rock Studios)

Also these two from Twisted Pixel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhk-UXQAnjE
    Youtube Video

• Little King's Story on Wii. I think there was a sequel on PSP or something like that too. Regardless, the Wii one is great.

• Catherine
    • 999/VLR
    • Puppeteer
    • Gravity Rush
    • Tearaway
    • Drakengard/NiER
    • Fragment Dream
    • Spec Ops The Line
    • SMT IV
    • SMT Nocturn
    • SMT Digital Devil Saga 1&2
    • The World Ends With You

• JRPG fans who enjoyed the first 10 Final Fantasys; would like Legend Of Legacy for 3DS.

Also if you enjoy pirate games and haven't played Sid Miers Pirates on PC, give it a go, I have gone back to that game so many many times over the years, and it still hasn't been equaled.

• I'd highly recommend Vectorman for the SEGA Genesis. It's an extremely short platformer/shooter, but it's oozing with quirky charm.

alt text

• @Mechanoid said in Hidden gem game recommendations:

Vagrant Story - A strange but amazing action+rpg hybrid from Squaresoft. Kind of lost to time and hard to find unfortunately.

It's up on the Playstation Store, so it's actually easier to get a hold of than you'd think.

@DeweyDTruman said in Hidden gem game recommendations:

Another great game is "Cleopatra Fortune"

Never thought I'd see that name pop up. But it's a fun little game with some catchy music.

• Global Moderator

I'm only going to recommend one game and its one I had a hard time 100% but it was fun. You did two things to attack enemys in this game. You Shook them and you Threw them. Great title from ENIX before they merged with Squaresoft.
    Youtube Video