Nintendo Switch January 12th Event

• Funny note. In Russia Nintendo Switch is currently available for pre-order in one single shop (not a network, one single shop) and after a day it's still in-stock. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Special Edition is also in stock. I don't know if we got too many units, or we simply don't care. For reference, PS4 was sold out almost everywhere for several months.

• This is going to sound weird, but to me, the event was a big reminder that Nintendo is a Japanese company through and through. Sony has globalized a crapton, and that's evident in their marketing approaches. Everything about the Switch Event, from the technical approach, to the testimonies, and to the bizarre attempts at humor, all of it was just super Japanese. And that's okay! I just think that it could be why this didn't land as hard as it should have with western audiences. Yeah, I wish they would have shown more games off, but for me, all I wanted to see is if the tech holds up. And by all accounts, it does. There's actually way more to the console than I was expecting, especially with that sick HD rumble. My biggest bummer of the show was the lack of info on the eshop. Having a portable version of almost all of Nintendo's library would be insane, and a huge seller for me. I'm still holding out hope that Nintendo will wise up and provide subscribers to their online service "free" games, similar to Games with Gold (or whatever it's called). Either way, for people who are constantly traveling like me, this system is a godsend.

As an aside, do you think this game could play like, a slightly worse looking version of The Witcher? I really want to play that game!

• @Musou-Tensei 1, 2, Switch should be a pack in like Wii sports was. $50 is a suicide price for that collection of mini games.

• One one word can sum up the conference for me and it starts with a b. Brilliant :P

• @Fridge-man im thinking its probably preloaded, but then again it has a boxart on retailer websites so probably not

i mean it could be cool at parties, but i agree 50 is laughable

• @Doctor-Professor i was thinking a smaller, more portable version, but you wouldn't really appreciate any of the games at that size, i kinda doubt it

• @jbluzb it is what it is, a hybrid console. im excited for it, 3ds is getting hard to look at

• @Bigdude1 No, Reggie said they have decided against including a game so people can choose themself what games they want, and to keep the price "low".

• @Musou-Tensei i know, its a dumb decision because the game cant stand on its own. Nintendoland is a more justifiable full price game than 1 2 Switch

• alt text

I think this is a better first year than Playstation 4 / Xbox One (they were the exact same), and I hate online games and Xenoblade. Please send angry messages to me.

• breath of the wild i will get (maybe bomber man)
    then ill get i am setsuna if it gets a physical release
    mario kart 8 is a must buy i cant see it being full price
    then maybe disgea and spa2on
    and if xenoblade comes out this year ill eat my hat

and of course ill get mario

• @Haru17 Hot take: The only game catching my eye here is Snipperclips. PuyoPuyo Tetris and Sonic Mania I can play on PS4, Splatoon 2 just isn't enough to justify paying for online yet again, I already own Mario Kart 8, I don't care about Zelda in general and especially not Breath of the Wild (sue me) but if I did I could get that on Wii U too, most of those other games don't interest me and/or are multiplats anyway, 1 2 Switch is a Wii sports-tier good bundle title but making it standalone and $50 is, frankly, a really stupid decision by Nintendo, and while Mario is probably gonna be super good it's just not a series I have any real love for aside from 64 and 3D World for whatever reason.

• This post is deleted!

• @DeweyDTruman said in Nintendo Switch January 12th Event:

I don't care about Zelda in general

This can mean two of two things: You're Brandon Jones, and you're wrong.

• It's about a year too early to look at this and say it's got better launch titles than the PS4.
    It's got LESS games than the PS4 at launch.

• @TokyoSlim Important clarification : the Switch will have less games the entire first year of being released than the PS4 did on its first day. If you add in the reality of delays, it may look even more dire. So the counterpoint naturally is quality over quantity and while this new Zelda might actually be one of the few rare worthwhile titles in the franchise (yeah, I said it), that still doesn't justify the price. I've been anticipating Persona 5 with such a reckless fervor since the 4th was released but if it became exclusive to a console I didn't own and cost me around $360 total to purchase, I certainly wouldn't be defending the decision.

Luckily, I own a WiiU so... If I really, really have to play Zelda this year, I've got a cheaper option that honestly doesn't seem much different from the Switch option. Are there any notable differences between the two versions?

• @TokyoSlim Yep, but these re-released and new Nintendo games are of a high order than Black Flag, Battlefield 4, etc.

I'm not saying the year is packed or even 'good,' I'm just saying that I didn't buy a PS4 until late 2014 because literally none of the launch titles interested me.

• @Haru17 How quickly you forget the PS4 launched with Knack... It doesn't get any better than that.

• @Haru17 See, and that's where I vehemently disagree. It's quite possible that a cross gen open world Zelda isn't actually any better than ACIV:Black Flag, a cross gen open world AC game - but you're too invested in Zelda to even consider that possibility before you've even played it. You've already decided it's better and that's that. That's fine, just don't expect me to just take your word for it. :)

FWIW, I don't even like the other AC games, but Black Flag inspired me to learn how to sail boats. So I count it as one of my favorite games of the generation.

Otherwise, you've got Skylanders and Just Dance, which you also weren't interested in when they were PS4 launch titles. And 1 2 Switch, a $50 collection of minigames.

Bomberman might be as fun as Resogun, if you're lucky :)

What else you got?

• I think the biggest problem with me is that I actually had faith in Nintendo. There was a chance that maybe they would actually learn something. But of course not!

It's really annoying because the machine actually looks great. However the price point, the lack of games (I have a Wii U for Zelda), the insulting online subscription (I'm happy to pay for a service as good as XBL).

Honestly it's actually hilarious how bad this is. I'm sure I'll buy this console but at launch their is no point considering how many games are coming out in Q1 for the other consoles.