Nintendo Switch January 12th Event

• @FF7Cloud Are they really doing a Fire Emblem direct?? That's so exciting!

• @Billy yea on the 18th

• also while not being at launch there seems to be a port of the 3 dark souls games in the works on the switch as myazacki (sp?) has said he has ds3 running in a manner hes happy wih ob the switch

• @FF7Cloud
    That's been my thought as well, if I had to guess we will see a direct towards the end of February or even on launch day that will give a better look at titles coming out between launch and summer, covering first and third party releases, VC Games and systems, and one or two glimpses of things to get a full reveal at E3. Then at E3 cover games releasing in the fall winter season, along with unleashing the flood gates on new Switch only titles

• @Billy Yes, it will be about Fire Emblem Warriors, and there's also a very good chance of the mobile game being shown. And who knows, maybe another surprise?

• @Haru17 im probably gonna get zelda, mario kart 8, arms, splatoon 2 and xenoblade and mario for sure seems like a good year so far for me on the switch

• @TokyoSlim i think franchise integrity alone nearly insures its quality.

• @FF7Cloud What do you mean by Dark Souls gameplay? Because, to me, Dark Souls combat system is essentially rooted in the combat system established by Ocarina of Time.

• And, I agree, Nintendo definitely hasn't shown all their cards yet. What is Retro doing? What about Intelligent Systems? There are quite a few studios that we don't know what they're doing yet. And I definitely get the feeling ever since they announced merging console and handheld development, that all the handheld teams are most likely working on things too.

If Nintendo can get the system to take off in Japan, it will basically replace both the 3DS and the Vita. A big "if", I know, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility, especially when you consider the rumored Pokemon Stars.

Guess we'll learn more at E3 or any Directs in between.

• @Minamik gameplay progression, exploration, dungeon design and combat

• @FF7Cloud Well, from what they've said, Breath of the Wild does seem to be more open with what it allows you to do, and where it allows you to go, which is a big improvement for the series.

• I'm not as negative about the mobile app as everyone else seems to be.

It actually makes sense to me, and might be something lost in the cultural translation.

The Nintendo Switch is a handheld device for gaming, and when using it on the train it would make more sense to pull out your phone. Especially for social means, as you already use that device to communicate. Most people already have bluetooth headphones or some sort of audio system already hooked up to their phone. Would Nintendo want you to use another set of headphones on top of that? Why can't we just our phones? I could easily see this being a huge criticism of the device if they introduced it the other way around.

With the social app on the Switch, if you want to play a game with someone, you'd pull out of the device, boot it up, and then stare at a more or less blank screen while you wait for your friend to pull out his device. Hooking up headphones or whatever to the switch after you pull it out. He might not have his Switch out, as he's waiting to play with you. So how would you get a hold of them?

With the phone app, you probably already have your phone out and can throw an invite to someone, and talk to them while you both pull out your devices. Like talking before you get your meal at a restaurant. This would help with the battery life as well, with the Switch being reserved for gameplay only. You can chat about stuff without using the battery life.

They should've had a demo of the app and a quick 30 second commercial or whatever to communicate this idea properly, but its something they might've assumed would go over well. Hopefully they'll notice the bad taste in people's mouths and quickly prepare something to show people before the launch of the device.

I really like the idea of prepping all of the group invites/matchmaking before you pull your device out. It'd make it really smooth to power it up and immediately jump into the social experience of the game.

• @Stormcrownn said in Nintendo Switch January 12th Event:

It actually makes sense to me, and might be something lost in the cultural translation.

It might make some sense from a japanese businessman's perspecitive that wants to reduce costs, but it's still pretty dumb to require a smartphone and a seperate app.
    I mean basically their solution is to just have you "call" your friend with your phone while calling it "voice chat".

• It'll drive me nuts if that stuff isn't just on the system too...Not all of us have a smart phone.

• @Bigdude1 Franchise integrity is great argument. That's why FFXIII was the best game ever, after all.

• @suplextrain The rest of my post already addresses why they would think a smart phone app is the way to go.

I agree with them after thinking it through. I don't really want to use the switch to talk to people. At the very least its a waste of my battery life if my friends aren't ready to play.

I will agree that it doesn't really justify why they are ONLY using the smartphone app. My only guess is if the app was simply a feature, people would definitely ignore it in favor of the in-console version. Having two different ways to do the same thing isn't really Nintendo's style, as they want to keep things simple.

• Maybe it's just me but having to install a proprietary smartphone app instead of using something built in to the console doesn't seem simple. And what about people without smartphones? Not every parent lets their kid have one, and I know some people don't see the need or appeal in one and just still use their old flip phone.

• This is all part of the problem with having a hybrid console and seem to be focusing on selling it as if it was a home console.

Home console players expect voice chat to be included with their hardware. Especially if you are paying for online services. Having to use a seperate device to do what literally every other available current gen console does on it's own is inconvenient at best. Selling us inconvenience as a feature isn't very appealing.

Mobile customers are going to have to pay data to use online multiplayer anyways for their handheld, so maybe it's not a huge deal that both the handheld and voice chat run data through your phone - but it's a big deal for anyone not playing mobile, and they are not just selling this as a mobile device. There should clearly be both options.

• @Stormcrownn said in Nintendo Switch January 12th Event:

The rest of my post already addresses why they would think a smart phone app is the way to go.

Their logic doesn't really matter. The solution is still dumb and needlessly complex.

To voice chat you need to have a switch, a smartphone, a headset for said phone (preferably no noise canceling ones since they will make it harder for you to hear the sounds from the switch, you cannot use a pair of headphones for the switch and a headset from your smartphone at the same time and the list goes on.
    It creates a needless amount of problems.

The Switch is supposed to be streamlined and easy to use, but stuff like this clashes with that. It would've been fine it was an option, but when it's the only way to voice chat then it's just bad.

• @suplextrain What is your solution? If you aren't at home the Switch still needs to support online matchmaking and chat, or at the very least all functionality needs to be in the tablet.

I can't see a more simple solution to the problem other than the phone app, especially with a device that people will be using on trains/buses/traveling like crazy. Mobile phones are the majority of people's internet connection. Anything that's tied to the tablet would require an internet connection when on the go. The main solution to that is to use your phone as a hotspot.

If they did that, people would be making jokes and complaining that there's no 4G option for the Switch and that they are selling a handheld device to use on the go, and it requires an internet connection.

There is no simple solution to this problem, as you assume.