Nintendo Switch January 12th Event

• @suplextrain there was a lot of empirical evidence for those, especially no mans sky

• @TokyoSlim it would be better if they were one or the other, not both different colors

• @Bigdude1 I like the differentiation for 2 player scenarios.

• @TokyoSlim it is good to see so many couch coop games on switch, it seems to be getting rarer.

i guess local multiplayer in general

• Couch co-op seems to be something that only some indies and Nintendo care about anymore. Which is somewhat sad. I do love me some couch co-op every once in a while.

I have plenty of good memories of playing through fps campaigns through with my brother, stuff like Time Splitters, Resistance 1 and 3... Also, Secret of Mana was amazing to play through with friend back in the day...

• Youtube Video

As always, thank god for Jim Sterling.

• @jipostus halo used to be sacred too all the way up to master chief collection, then halo 5 had to fuck it all up

there is almost no reason to get multiple controllers for most consoles anymore because a 2 player game is so rare let alone 4 player

• @SabotageTheTruth i find him really hard to watch

• @Bigdude1 I'd recommend checking out the video, it displays the criticisms lobbed at the Switch much more eloquently than I ever could. Jim is a harsh critic, I'll admit but he's the balance I need in my life - extreme love and respect from the Allies, reality and cynicism from Jim. Yin and yang.

• @TokyoSlim That is nice, we need to bring back more insane color schemes for consoles/controllers like the N64 and Gamecube.

• @SabotageTheTruth i really dont, i know all the criticisms.

• @DeweyDTruman i am liking the translucent pro controller, thats such a 90s gaming thing

• @Bigdude1 Ah, didn't know we had a resident expert in the house. I personally feel like actually taking the time to learn other viewpoints is beneficial to personal growth but naturally, that can't be forced. You do you - which coincidentally is an excellent Bear in Heaven song.

• @SabotageTheTruth i dont think you understand, it's not the arguments, it's that his format is terrible and i don't think he is a very good entertainer

i haven't watched a jimquisition in a long time, and even then it wasn't for very long

• like lets put in another example. i havent played last guardian but i cant watch 10 seconds of this

Youtube Video

• @Bigdude1 I thought his coverage on No Man's Sky was close to deplorable, as he was one of the people that played an early build of the game and quickly wrote it off. However, one piece of journalism doesn't count for the whole. I linked the video because it's absolutely related to the topic at hand.

It is a bit strange though to say without playing Breath of the Wild it will be amazing, and without watching the video I linked it will be terrible. I prefer to experience something before I pass judgement (at least anything definitive). The cliche of "don't judge a book by its cover" exists for a reason - people often discover that if they give something a chance before completely dismissing it, they find something they enjoy. The inverse is also true - being so excited for something it can't possibly live up to expectations.

In the recent Patron Q&A, there was a question that had the Allies mention what they love and respect about the person to their left. When Damiani had to explain what he respected about Jones, he went into detail about how Jones nearly always has an opposing point of view to his own, a view he had heard of, but never fully understood until Jones put it into a perspective that made it click for him. You may say you know all the criticisms, but do you understand all of them? I in no way mean to insult you, but you don't. I don't. No journalist does. Only by learning perspectives different from our own and actually attempting to understand them will we ever reach some sort of clarity for ourselves. If you want to live in a world where the new Zelda game is the best thing ever before it has even been released, no one can take that away from you. Just keep in mind, you may be setting yourself up for a huge disappointment which is what some of us are trying to bring into the conversation - reality.

• @SabotageTheTruth The only thing Jim Sterling does is repeat the talking points from neogaf. He tries so hard to be upset about everything that he's the critique who cried wolf.

• I feel like this is becoming the Polygon discussion all over again - where we seemingly dislike a journalist for.... reasons. But fair enough, I thought it was a relevant video considering the topic at hand. Off to go drink wine and be jolly, cheers!

• And on the more positive side:

Youtube Video

• @SabotageTheTruth Sterling always waits a bit too long to release a video, after the score has settled and he knows people will likely agree with him. He never makes a video that's actually contentious. He never adds anything to the conversation. Its always a repeat of what better content creators have been saying.

I really enjoyed TotalBiscuit's video, which covers the same talking points in a much better manner and with more detail.