Nintendo Switch January 12th Event

• "The Switch is not competing in a vacuum"

Just heard this quote from Ben Moore and I agree completely.

In recent years, the prevalent mantra surrounding Nintendo Consoles is that they don't want to compete with Sony or Microsoft. Don't they? They don't want money?
    They cared for competing in the NES and SNES eras.

And then people give the example of the Wii and the "blue ocean" marketing strategy. Well, I think the Wii is a successful exception on how to build a culture and business model of a console, and exceptions are exceptions for a reason. The low attach rate shows to me that people consumed the machine like one of those musical summer hits that breaks records. And the WiiU sales support that, just by comparing it to the poorly managed launch of the Xbox One. The lasting feel for the 360 helped mitigate that disaster a lot better than the lasting feel of the Wii helped the WiiU.

All in all, I don't buy that logic that Nintendo does not want to compete. They would love to have the numbers and the mind-share that Sony has now.
    It's ok, for people that are dedicated gamers and play in more than one machine. But you should not build your culture and business model to target that "secondary" spot.
    A lot of people don't either have the money or the time to play videogames in several machines.

I don't believe that Nintendo wants to be niche. They simply aren't doing a good job in convincing a lot of people that Nintendo products should be their primary source of entertainment. You should always aim for that. And they, still, have the brand to aim for that.

The Switch is an interesting concept. And I think this product is so different and compelling that word of mouth, social interaction, and youth zeitgeist can be more important predictors of its success than the typical cornerstones of this business: price, power and 3rd party support.

Yet, it wouldn't hurt for them to try a "Playstation 2" instead of a "Wii", once in a while: a strong price/performance ratio, the minimum non-gaming functionality, 3rd party support of the best selling AAA franchises and a 1st party catalogue that has aesthetic variety.

• @Musou-Tensei games I want to play and have that I was hoping would get ported to the Switch, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wonderful 101, I was considering getting a switch soon after release but with what I saw yesterday, I'm in no rush, so I'd rather get the a Wii U for now.

• @bard91 I see, well to me Bayo 2 and TW101 were worth owning the system alone and of course I hope to see more Platinum goodness on Switch someday in the future, so I can understand that.

• I think it was a pretty poor conference with a few highs. Mario looks fantastic, Zelda looks fantastic and it's cool to see something like Xenoblade so far along.

But they were still so unclear on the launch lineup, the paid for online service, the cost of the controllers peripherals and console itself.

I think you're going to struggle to find this thing all year but I don't think that's necessarily a good sign that it's selling well.

For me, I wouldn't be buying one at launch if I was able to but come Christmas, if we have Mario, Pokemon and Xenoblade, it's a lot more appealing. Hopefully that will be the case and the console will come with a Mario bundle by then.

• This is unverified as I only saw this screenhot in another forum, but if true...
    alt text

You can also buy the joycon's seperately
    alt text

Well I guess they really want to be more like Sony and MS with their overpriced gamepads.

• That Zelda trailer was soooo damn good. Can't say I was overly bowled over by anything else at all though (even the Mario trailer looked just 'ok' to me....I don't think I am liking some art style choices to be honest).

The console is a bit too expensive here in the UK (but not prohibitively so), the bigger problem is the overall value proposition. Paid online specifically is a blow and the quantity of games I would be interested in just aren't there for myself.

Being honest if I didn't already have a Wii U for Zelda then I would probably pick one up a launch however having to wait for Mario means I will just pick up Zelda for Wii U (I really hope that version is solid) and wait and see what happens with the Switch.

• I'm honestly banking on the assumption that history repeats itself and the previous gen zelda is better than the next gen version like with twilight princess.

• I do hope they are smart enough to bring out a Mario Odyssey Bundle with system, I'd buy that.
    I think I'm so excited for Mario because the last big 3D Mario game was so long ago, I just want to freely jump around and collect stars and shit again.
    Also that moment in the trailer when you knew a certain group of people where screaming in agony into their silk pillows, hahahaha.

• @Musou-Tensei Somehow it'll be $500

Also, yes those prices for the controllers are legit. That is a screen grab direct from the Nintendo website.

• Warning: Wall of text approaching
    I thought the Switch Event was overall pretty fun. There were goofy Japanese conference things, hilarious translations, and some cool trailers.
    Super Mario Odyssey looks amazing! All I've wanted since Galaxy 2, or even further back Sunshine, is a more Mario 64 exploratory game opposed to the cheap side scrolling or even 3D World game. Odyssey looked really good but I'm glad its not coming out till Holiday. Take your time making that game good, just don't delay it for years. Also this way I don't need to buy a Switch because other than that I haven't seen anything to draw me in.
    I had been a little hesitant towards Zelda because nothing in the trailers we had seen before the event really wowed me. I mean the world is huge and beautiful, its open, and there's a lot of new mechanics but none of it looked like a true Zelda game to me yet. This trailer however got me so pumped again. We finally got to see that the world isn't empty, that there are other people in this world besides Link, the old man, and the enemies. We got to see that there is story, and emotion. I am more confident now that there will be dungeons of sorts. I am no longer afraid that this was just going to be some standard open world exploration game with a Zelda skin. Goodbye Horizon Zero Dawn, maybe I'll pick you up on sale much later.
    Past those two games nothing sold me on it. I already knew I wasn't going to play it on the go besides my annual flight and long road trip. I own a PS4 and PC so I would never buy 3rd party cross platform games for the Switch. 1-2-Switch just seems like the Wii Sports of the Switch but not nearly as fun and captivating. Arms does not look like something I would ever want to play. I never played Splatoon, despite it looking pretty interesting, and I have no desire to rebuy my WiiU games, even if they come with a sweet new classic battle mode. All of the other games shown are probably years away so I don't even want to think about them. I don't want to pay for another online service, but I can't rule it out yet since we don't have all of the details. Most of the games confirmed for launch don't excite me thinking about buying them on the Switch for various reasons. I really hope Nintendo doesn't fall into the same cyclical trap as with the WiiU: tons of units don't sell immediately because there aren't many games, developers don't make games because there aren't many units in homes.
    I genuinely hope the Switch does well and has good support/games. I one day want to play Super Mario Odyssey and other Nintendo games that might be released on it, but there's going to have to be a handful before I go out and buy it. I don't want another WiiU on my hands. Plus I don't even have enough time to play all of the PS4 games I'm interested in, I don't need another console.

Launch Games:

• 1, 2 Switch - nope
    • The Legend of Zelda: BotW - I'll just buy it for my WiiU
    • Just Dance 2017 - big 'ol nope
    • Has Been Heroes - nope
    • Snipperclips - nope
    • Super Bomberman R - I love old school Bomberman. 50 story stages you say? I'm in, but not a system seller.
    • Disgaea 5 Complete - I could buy this for my PS4 one day
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris - nope
    • Rayman Legends - Already own it
    • Steep - nope
    • Skylanders: Imaginators - nope
    • I Am Setsuna - Already own it

• "Free" subscription NES or SNES rotating game confirmed changes monthly, not playable for free after that month is over:

• @TokyoSlim said in Nintendo Switch January 12th Event:

"Free" subscription NES or SNES rotating game confirmed changes monthly, not playable for free after that month is over:

Any stuff on the price of the subscription? I'd be shocked if it is as much as Xbox Live and PSN

• So I am a Nintendo fanboy. I have the Switch pre-ordered because Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild alone is enough to make me buy a console. That being said, I was extremely disappointed last night. Kyle summed it up perfectly during the post-show - the WiiU has had an astoundingly bad line-up overall, but particularly the last few years. Yes there have been some gems like Tropical Freeze and Mario Maker, but the WiiU is the only Nintendo home console to lack any exclusive "heavy hitters." No Mario (no 3D World doesn't count), no Zelda (better version presumably on Switch), no Metroid, nothing. I thought Nintendo was going to show "this is what we were working on" last night, to explain the bad WiiU lineup.

I honestly thought the reason for this was when it was clear the WiiU was dying Nintendo decided to push all WiiU software development to the Switch. I thought that they would break the internet last night. I thought we were going to be shown BotW, the new Mario, BG&E2, Pokemon Stars, the Rabbids RPG, the WiiU upgrades (MK8, Splatoon, Smash 4), and Mother 3 all for 2017, and they would end by dropping the bombshell of Metroid Prime 4 by Retro Studios with a far off, tentative 2018 release, but still something to earn good-will. The conference would have still had a lot of people going "oh Nintendo only has Nintendo games" like always, but enough software push to make the hardcore gamers go "oh man, they understand! This has been what they've been up to! This is why the WiiU had nothing!" Yet here we are, and I'm asking myself: why does the WiiU have nothing? What were we shown last night? A trailer for a game that we already know a lot about because it was their entire E3 (although the trailer did have me in tears), and one cool new Mario game. That's it. That's not the blowout Nintendo needed.

The worst part is that aside from Metroid everything I listed is heavily rumoured to exist for the Switch to the point where all those games probably do exist. But instead of blowing everybody away with one epic press conference, we're going to instead get a trickle of directs. While yes I do appreciate that Nintendo doesn't announce games 2 years ahead of release, this time they needed to. They needed to get people hyped. They needed to get people to jump aboard to Switch train. They needed to know that Nintendo has a plan. What's their plan? Milk and ice cubes?

That was a long rant, but it comes from a good place. Like I said I will be buying a Switch Day 1, but I want my favorite company to succeed. I want them to be on top again. Nintendo has this focus on fun and innovation that has been lost in the wider gaming landscape since they dropped. I want them to be top dog once more.

• @thenerdtheword before yesterday I would have been shocked that the pro controllers for the switch would be $20 more than a ds4. Lol

But no word on pricing yet as far as I know.

• Fire Emblem direct on the 18th
    For some reason I feel like a Nintendo Direct will happen just before the Switch is released, or maybe a week or 2 after.

• Youtube Video

That video sums up Nintendo perfectly. We get another console with Mario and Zelda games, weird motion control games no one will play longer than an hour, and promises of more games (they're coming, please believe us!). It's honestly just frustrating at this point to see them lack any awareness. That initial reveal trailer was succinct and showed us Nintendo might be willing to move things in a new direction, all while still having some unique ideas backing their product. Yesterday's conference had them unzip their recent suave costume and reveal the big dumb elephant that is Nintendo. $300 to play Mario and Zelda is not even close to reasonable. Being given "free" games that are then taken away at the end of the month is absurd. Having iconic developers like suda51 take stage to announce that he maybe wants to make a game for the console is so out of touch with any amount of sense or logic. To quote the wise AVGN.... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

I don't want competition in the market to fail because competition is good. If we have one company that rules all, they will eventually become stagnant and lazy. At the same time... I honestly think Nintendo needs to step down from the console business entirely. As a developer, they make games we love. As a console manufacturer, they have made severe errors for generations now and have alienated large portions of their fan base.

Youtube Video

• Let Skyrim die already, geez..

• @SabotageTheTruth While I think that the idea of Nintendo not making consoles is interesting, what would happen to handhelds if Nintendo wasn't making them? In no way is my smartphone a suitable replacement for a device actually built for gaming.

• @Doctor-Professor They do well in the handheld market, I see no reason why they should stop. It could be argued that the Switch is a handheld but it seems like most of us view it more as an actual console. I personally love the Vita but I don't see Sony continuing that line unfortunately.

• @Fridge-man But Bethesda has to virtue signal their "support" and give Nintendo gamers what they always wanted, the inferior version of Oblivion aka Skyrim. CELEBRATE DAMMIT!

ALso seriously Nintendo? This should be 20 bucks max, this should be bundled with the system for free, not 50 fucking bucks
    alt text
    http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/1-2-switch

Also I'm offended that this gets a retail release but something like Phoenix Wright doesn't.