Scalebound has been cancelled

• Well there goes one of my reasons for getting a X1 Just leaves the Rare collection and......That's kinda it.

• @SabotageTheTruth All those games except Starfail were created with lower budgets by a B-Team for Activision, and with Starfail I assume that Team was very restricted in what they can do by Miyamoto. Also Transformers was pretty good imo.

• @Stephleref Don't judge a game until you play it. It might've been bad, I could've easily liked it. And I was that idiot who played No man's sky and paid 60$ and I have no regrets. I have over 199 hours in it and I love it. it's not a perfect game, it has clear mistake, but I really like it. Scalebound might objectively not be a good game in it's state, but from what I've seen it had a lot of things that I would probably really enjoy.

• It seems to me the issue was with the core gameplay. Even the demos struggled to offer that little something extra that something like Nioh does.

We are pretty saturated in the gaming industry overall. You can't really get away with being "Average" these days. You have to be at the top of your class in some aspect.

• Banned

I wouldn't be too worried. They'll probably just recycle the assets from Scalebound in a future title.

• Honestly, it's probably for the best. The game looked average at best and I don't think it would have been successful. I know I was not interested in it at all.

• While I had no interest in the game, I really feel bad for all the people that have contributed to it. I can't really imagine what it must be like for that much work to (potentially) just go down the drain

• @Stormcrownn
    Actually it was more so canceled due to creative differences, from what I understand Kamiya's vision for the game was a single player game more in line with other Platinum developed games, along with a few sprinklings of Okami. MS wanted a big open world online coop action RPG.

It is a shame the game won't see the light of day as intended, and I can't imagine the blow to the teams moral.
    Although I don't think thus will kill them, Platinum still has Nier, something called Granblue Fantasy, and one or two more games with Activision (I think)

• @DMCMaster said in Scalebound has been cancelled:

creative differences

Platinum ... a few sprinklings of Okami.

MS ... open world online coop

Well, you've succeeded in making me angry about this. You invoked The Name.

Fuck Microsoft. We need other platforms, but ones that aren't owned by such a totally artistically bankrupt, profit-driven and profit-dictated corporation.

And I'm saying that as a Washingtonian and Halo fan.

• Kamiya's response on the cancellation.

alt text

• Banned

The more I keep reading about this, the angrier I am at Microsoft.
    Apparently they decided that games like this, Phantom Dust, and a few other projects weren't worth the resources going forward, so instead of breaching contract and incurring hefty fines, they made the development milestones for them impossible to be met, refusing additional payment until they were, forcing the games to die.
    Similar with what happened to Human Head games and the original design for Prey 2 over at Bethesda.

• I would not be surprised at this point if Platinum Games goes Nintendo exclusive since they seem to have a good working relationship with them.

• @Stephleref I'd be doubtful of that happening considering how Star Fox 0 went.

• Banned

@Stephleref I'm thinking it will more likely be a split between Sony and Nintendo exclusives with some B-grade side projects for Activision as usual.

• Global Moderator

Not that I was overly excited about this game, but it feels so... unexpected! like it looked like an almost finished game and now they pukk the plug? I feel bad for the people that have put in hours and hours in the making of this game and to see it canceled must be a bit blow. As others have mentioned, lets hope for a pick up by Sony or Nintendo!

• @dramaticslowmo I don't think Star Fox Zero's problems came from Platinum. And Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 are both great games, so I'm pretty sure Nintendo would love to have them make more games for them.

• Microsoft is losing a lot of exclusives they need right now.

• It wouldn't surprise me if someone new took over at Microsoft, or a new influence entered the board meetings.

There's a lot of politics behind the scenes at Microsoft, and the corporate cliche of everyone looking out for themselves/wanting credit for themselves is super common.

They desperately need someone to properly manage these different projects and teams. Maybe the cancellations and lack of games right now is a sign of them shifting resources and focus to new projects. It's a hope for E3 2017 at least.

Side note, Sea of Thieves looks better every day.

• Banned

@Stormcrownn Microsoft's shareholders have been begging for them to kill off the games division for years now, so for a rather niche project like Scalebound to have even been announced in the first place is almost surprising.

I was really hoping when stuff like this and Phsntom Dust were announced that we might see a side of Microsoft that actually cared about games other than Halo, Gears and Forza. Guess I was being too optimistic.

• @El-Shmiablo
    That's what I'm guessing, unless they are contracted to do so, I highly doubt any future Platinum games will see a X1 release. I know Miyamoto and the gameplay team for SFZero butted heads a few times, but It never reached the level of anger and betrayal that Kamiya must feel right now.