Scalebound has been cancelled

• @thenerdtheword said in Scalebound has been cancelled:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Scalebound has been cancelled:

@Stormcrownn said in Scalebound has been cancelled:

@ZyloWolfBane The PS4 Pro was suppose to be this 4K Upgrade. Microsoft announced Scorpio before Sony revealed the PS4k. So when Sony actually revealed the PS4 Pro, it was more or less "Oh...that's cool..when are you doing a Scorpio?"

I say this as someone who just bought a PS4 Pro as well.

I don't see either upgrade being a huge seller, it's just a nice upgrade.

But I mean again, if all scorpio is- is a upgraded XB1 with no new games....then who cares? What's the extra money really get you? I feel the same way about the PS4 pro right now too.

Hell, the majority of the existing library on PS4 has issues with the Pro, or newer games haven't been patched to utilize it properly. And I see the same thing happening with Scorpio.

Unless of course it turns out to be a replacement for XB1, which is a different story entirely.

Didn't they say though that all Xbox games going forward would be playable on the Xbox One and Scorpio?

There will be a caveat somewhere though, it's ideal in the first year when scorpio comes out for sure. But sooner or later they'll need to push the scorpio hardware to make it worthy of purchase which will make it tough to keep supporting XB1.

Though all these games will be on PC as well, so it's hardly enough of a selling point from where I'm sitting.

Price will also be a factor, price it too low and then it makes you wonder if it's really any better than XB1. Price it too high and you might as well buy/upgrade your PC instead.

E3 is gonna be a big deal for Microsoft this year one way or another.

• @ZyloWolfBane
    I vaguely recall a rumor saying that Scorpio would be around $600-$700, which is hopefully not true as at that point you may as well make or buy a gaming PC at that point. Unless the goal of Scorpio is to be a sort of entry level gaming PC, similar to what Valve attempted with the Steam Box.

But I do agree E3 will be make or break time for MS gaming division, which feels kinda weird to say.

• @DMCMaster said in Scalebound has been cancelled:

@ZyloWolfBane
    I vaguely recall a rumor saying that Scorpio would be around $600-$700, which is hopefully not true as at that point you may as well make or buy a gaming PC at that point. Unless the goal of Scorpio is to be a sort of entry level gaming PC, similar to what Valve attempted with the Steam Box.

But I do agree E3 will be make or break time for MS gaming division, which feels kinda weird to say.

Exactly, because you can build a pretty modest High/ultra settings (Witcher 3 as an example) PC for about that price, probably more on the higher end of that though... like $750-800ish range. Prices differing since I last looked into it of course and newer models of GPUs have been out for a year now, so it could be even cheaper than that.

They're going to have to be really careful on how that system is marketed, or they better have one hell of an iron-clad set of releases that aren't in limbo.

• Scorpio needs to be marketed as a next gen console to stand out as the anemic response to the PS4 Pro proved. To do so they need new games, new IPs (like Titanfall was for the One). Even if the game is playable on the One, they need to market it as if it were a Scorpio excluive (like in a third party marketing deal). Probably Crackdown will have that impact considering we have been show nothing about the game and the cloud assist could blur a bit the performance of the new console aswell.

Besides that they need the console to have new features not posible on the X1. VR is an example but shallow considering that the basic PS4 can have VR too. My guess is that MS should integrate mods at a console level. They seem to have an advantage over Sony on that aspect, so they should exploit it more. Windows is already a versatile platform and Xbox can benefit greatly from that.

It won't (can't) be more than $500.

Considering they recently have been misreading the market, they'll probably repeat what Sony did with the PS4 and emphazise the nonsense of true 4K, best specs and will have VR demos on stage.

• To be fair the PS4 Pro kinda feels like a move made to make investors happy, "we make 4K tvs, why don't we have a 4K game console" while missing the opportunity to offer boosted performance to the entire library and not just a few titles that devs go back to to add pro specific features like FFXV running at 60FPS. (Although admittedly I'm loving my PS4 Pro seeing as playing Yakuza 6 or FFXV doesn't make it sound like a jet engine taking off like my basic model ps4)

• I see the PS4 pro more like a mid term refresh for the console. Last gen MS and Sony extended the life of their platforms by releasing kinect and move. This time, instead of expanding the market, they are reselling the console to their existing user base.

Probably Sony the purpose the sell more TVs but I don't think that's the main reason for the Pro.