When the Hype Becomes Too Real

• We've all been there before - every advertisement you see, every person you talk to, every breath you take somehow mentions how great a particular game is. You buy into the hype, you pop that sucker in, you sit down, and prepare yourself to be truly blown away. An hour later, you feel a little confused - sure, you're having an okay time but it isn't life-changing. 6 hours later, you're wondering why no one has mentioned the obvious flaws the game has to offer, why everyone has built this game up to be a superior being when it's really just as ordinary as a ham and cheese sandwich on a Tuesday afternoon to you.

What game have you experienced this with? Did you not enjoy the game because it simply didn't fit your sensibilities or is the rest of the world wrong, blinded by mountains of praise?

For me, there is one example that stands out above the rest... The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time. This is widely regarded as one of the greatest games ever made but when I actually sat down to play it, my highest praise was, "Oh, that's cool." Although it's the first three-dimensional Zelda, everything in it still feels two-dimensional. What I mean by that is the characters, story, and combat just end up falling flat more often than not. It came out at a time when 3D was still having its kinks ironed out and this shows heavily in the controls and camera. The worst part about this game doesn't lie within the cartridge itself - it exists within the fan base, constantly stating it's a perfect masterpiece and anyone with any real critiques is wrong/doesn't know what they're talking about. It impedes any actual discussion about the game and means you must either praise it or not talk about it, there is no grey area.

Whew, now that that example is out of the way, let's make sure to not be too cynical here, keep in mind you may be talking about someone's favorite game and it's never fun to see one of your favorite things ripped to shreds.

• While I haven't played the game yet, mine is probably: No man's sky. I am so hyped for that game, but realistically, I doubt that it will reach my expectations, because they are extremely high. Sure I'll like it, but i don't think it will revolutionise my entire life.

Two popular examples could be Watchdogs, but I loved it, so it doesn't count for me, and Star Wars: Battlefront, that was extremely hyped but fell off really quickly.

• @Nillend My viewpoint on No Man's Sky has always been, "This game is going to be entirely disappointing... but I'm going to buy it anyway."

• I totally understand where your coming from. I cant say if its ever happened to me, really trying to think. I'm usually good at telling if ill like game pretty fast, so Ive very rarely ever bought a game I didn't like.

When it comes to Oot I don't blame you for your response, love the game but I grew up with it. Way different if you play early 3d games now, we are use to the look and controls. I might not be the best example, I learn to master most any controllers and controls really fast.

ALTTP is still my favorite Zelda, I beat the game almost yearly. But Oot ive not gone through it in a long time. I am very much a 2D lover and was pretty mad during the N64 times, just all 3d no awesome sprite art. Thats how I got into the PlayStation, use to hate back then as weird as that is to me now.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in When the Hype Becomes Too Real:

@Nillend My viewpoint on No Man's Sky has always been, "This game is going to be entirely disappointing... but I'm going to buy it anyway."

Yup, I've had dreams of a game like this. Whatever may come of it, I have to see it through.

• Banned

WOW! A new RPG by Level-5! I loved Dark Cloud 2. This White Knight Chronicles game looks great too!

Lemme just pop this sucker in an-- oh...... ohhhhhhh.....

• For me it has to be Penumbra 3: Requiem.
    The Penumbra series was developed by the makers of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and it offered some of the scariest atmospheric horror there had ever been at that point.

The second installment is one of the scariest games I've ever played, and it has quite an open ending, so a third installment was more than welcome!

However, Frictional Games chose to make it kind of an abstract puzzle game with no horror elements or mechanics. I feel it's totally fine to try new things, but I was a bit disappointed with the series ending with a character rolling giant balls around mazes.

I can totally recommend Penumbra: Black Plague to anyone reading this though! One of the greatest horror games I think alt text

• I might be starting to sound like a broken record with this but Fallout 3. I was fan of the orginals and while I hadn't played Elder Scrolls games myself I had an impression that Bethesda could make good RPG:s. I was disappointed that it wouldn't be in isometric view since it also ment changing the combat. I didn't want Fallout to become a shooter, it wasn't what it was about. Played it on PS3 and it was (still is) probably the buggiest game I had ever played, it had game breaking bugs. The world was really boring to explore for me, those damn metro tunnels. Outside wasn't really any better.

I also regret buying season pass to Division. I don't regret buying the game and spending 150 hours on it with my friends, we had a blast. But I really don't want to go back to it. But I guess I kinda have to atleast try the DLC, since Steam didn't let me refund the season pass. The first DLC being metro tunnels, oh boy! I bought the season pass because I thought that "exclusive content" would be more than scarfs and weapon skins.

• @Budi Oof, Fallout 3 is a game I hold in very high regards haha, although all the flaws you point out certainly are valid. I'm really wondering if the DLC for The Division is enough to bring people back because as far as I know, most people have stopped playing it already.

• @SabotageTheTruth Yeah I kinda understand why people love it so much, I don't think it's an awful game. Especially if it's their first entry in the franchise. How do you feel about New Vegas? Personally I did like it much more than Fallout 3. Still not a fan of the world and how it looks (and those bugs!), but I think it's much better as a RPG. Better writing and quest design and takes better use of skills like science, repair and especially speech. And optional ways to complete quests besides shooting is one of the most important things for me in RPG:s.

• @Budi I liked New Vegas, it just never ventured into love for me though. The first Bethesda game I ever played was Oblivion and I was blown away by the freedom but fantasy settings aren't my cup of tea so when Fallout 3 came out, I soaked it all up. New Vegas had some great improvements but I guess it wasn't "new" enough to fill me with wonder I guess? It's still a lot more enjoyable than Fallout 4 though, that seemed to lose all of the optional ways of completing quests in lieu of "MURDER EVERYTHING! KILL KILL KILL!".

• "Oh man, Destiny is going to be one of the best games ever." - me while purchasing a white PS4.

I'm so disappointed at myself for that. I bailed ship about a week before the first dlc dropped when I found out you had to purchase it to keep playing the Vanguards strikes and the Nightfall. I came back way later when I was gifted a copy of the Taken King, but holy hell it's still a big mess.

• @Gr4ndM4rsh4ll When Destiny 2 comes out, it's going to be a difficult decision for me. In concept, I love Destiny. In execution.... eh, there's better things out there. I truly hope they can rectify all their mistakes but I'm not sure if they will.

• DC Universe Online.
    Not entirely sure, was anyone else ever hyped for this game? For some reason I super was, even bought the special edition.... after a week or two... yeah it just died quickly.
    I think the trailer was to blame, it was pretty amazing.

• @SabotageTheTruth The things that truly bothers me the most is that just like Taken King, the Lords of Iron dlc is just going to throw away all of that content to put you into an area even smaller than before. It makes sense to do that for Destiny 2 because, hey, it's an entirely new game.

If this game was just a more expansive and intense version of Borderlands, I would probably never leave the game. Instead, they're stuck in this weird pseudo MMO-lite style of progression with no discernible direction, a direction that continues to remove older content instead of just adding on to it. It's overall very worrying.

• @Inustar Definitely was excited for it! I remember my friend bringing his PS3 over to my house and we planned on dedicating an entire day to it. I created Parcheesi Boy, the worst superhero in existence and couldn't wait for all the amazing possibilities that lay ahead of me. Two hours later, we had switched it off.

• @SabotageTheTruth Fallout 4 might be my most recent disappointment. It's not the worst game, and my fiance played it all the way through and enjoyed it, but I stalled at like 8 hours in. It felt... lifeless to me. The lack of real choice killed it for me. I just ended up replaying New Vegas.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in When the Hype Becomes Too Real:

@Inustar Definitely was excited for it! I remember my friend bringing his PS3 over to my house and we planned on dedicating an entire day to it. I created Parcheesi Boy, the worst superhero in existence and couldn't wait for all the amazing possibilities that lay ahead of me. Two hours later, we had switched it off.

The character creation certainly was the best part.

• I felt that way about Super Mario 64 and Pokemon Red/Blue. I mean, I think the issue is that games are always improving, always getting better. Pong was groundbreaking at one point. So while I can appreciate that they were innovative when they were released and that they're important for the history of gaming, they aren't objectively better than later entries in their respective series. All the nostalgia in the world won't change that. (Also for folks complaining that the new Pokemon are stupid, I've got 2 words for you, Grimer and Muk. GRIMER AND MUK!)

• @michemagius I love Grimer and Muk!... but I also think Trubbish is cool too, so I guess I just love trash. I agree though, I'm replaying through Red right now (thanks Brandon and Kyle!) and while I'm having a good time, there's certain frustrations like inventory/box management that I realize become so much simpler in later entries. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.