Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

• This game is insane! I played for 9 hours today. Just now finished for tonight after three hours went by. I love this more and more. Earlier today I cleared the Nora lands by collecting every one of those things you can buy maps for, and I did all the side missions there, too. (This happened after I had reached Meridian the first time and picked some side missions to go along.) Now I headed to the Carja lands for the second time with so much more levels and weapons and upgrades and everything and it just feels so good! The fighting is way more fun when at one point I realized just to buy practically every weapon you can. Now you have something for everything. Yet still I'm afraid to face some of those monsters, and that's great!

And the beauty of this game. I can't get enough of the Carja lands. The details and the distances and the colours! It's all just so full and dense, you know? Looks simply wonderful.

• @MSBi Really good. Easily the best Wolverine movie, but that might not be saying much. Tied up there with X2 though.

• @Inustar

Just saw it last Sunday. The movie is spectacular. Easily the beat marvel movie Ive seen and probably the best Xmen movie.

The feels and that ending though!

• I got rekt by my first thunderjaw tonight. Those things are crazy!

• So my BF tried to take on a stormbird. He was like level 18 and the bird was 28.
    He saw it and decided he must kill it.
    Did not go well.
    He now has his own arch nemesis.

• Banned

I've been doing so many of those tombs that every new robot I run into is already hackable. :P

• Been taking a break and catching up with tv the past few days, but I'm gonna try to bag my first Thunderjaw this weekend.

• Banned

Good luck, bro.

• I'm highly tempted to put the game into my current circulation with Nier, Zelda and Trails in the Sky FC (mixed with some Fate/Extella every now and then when I just want to slay), I know I can do it, it wouldn't be the 1st time.

• Banned

You really should. It's a fun game.

• I've got something like 45 hrs in now. I simply can't play this less than three hours at one sitting. I've bought all the purple costumes, the Shadow ones, and modded them with fitting purple mods as well. My weapons are also all the same caliber, the rarest ones with the most kick in them, so things are looking good. I'm at lvl 39 now.

• @Sentinel-Beach

Glad you're enjoying it mate. Hope the ending pays off.

• Just beat the game.
    It was a fun ride that I was pleasantly surprised with. I really liked the attention to detail they had where for example characters would comment on (optional) things you did where it would make sense for them to comment on it, that the the side-quests you did made sense in the context of the world, etc.
    While the story was generally servicable I liked some of the characters and Aloy herself was a pretty well written and acted character (unlike say the rebooted Lara). The visuals were amazing and I took tons of screencaps (the PS4 update where you can use screens as wallpapers couldn't have come at a better time) and the combat was a highlight as well. I played the game on hard and I thought the balance was good all the way through and you had to swap between the weapons you used, exploit weaknesses and precision aim to succeed.
    It feels like a great first step if they plan on turning this into a franchise.

Now, onto Nier. Hopefully I can finish that before Mass Effect comes out so I have some time to play RE7, play The Last Guardian and finish Gravity Rush 2.

• I don't think I'm going to be able to beat this thing yet. I've tried like 10 times. This last time, I had it down to like 1/8th of his health and then some stupid bird swooped in and attacked me, and while I was distracted by the bird, I got lasered to death.

• This is the first game in a long while that I took the time to platinum. If Guerrilla is considering turning this into a franchise, I'm totally okay with that.

• I love hearing about all of the love for Horizon. Once I finished Zelda and play a palate cleansers or two I am definitely going to play it.

• 68 hours, and now I'm finished. Platinum trophy and all. My God this was a fantastic game! I would never have thought I'd be SO into this. Guerrilla Games, seriously. How'd you do it? After Killzones you gave us this? This was so polished. So huge. So pretty. So smooth. So well written! I loved the story. Once the main missions started to touch on the backgrounds of everything, the events that transpired long ago, I was sucked into a really cool science fiction story. Very well done. One surprise more, that one.

What a joyrney. Two weeks of intense playing, and I truly loved it all the time. I even had a 10 hour session one day, which hasn't happened in ages. This was something I'd never seen before, everything felt just so new and exciting. Maybe this was finally the thing for me that took the leap into the next gen of games. Current gen, whatever. I've owned PS4 for three years now, but this was something else in technical terms. I just feel it in my gut.

• 60 hours spent on this game. Completed the story of Horizon a few days ago and also platinumed the game just yesterday. Completed every Quest and unlocked nearly every item in the game. When playing the game had noticed a lot of flaws in the game as well as many factors that I adored. Here are my thoughts on the game.

Horizon Zero Dawn had a spectacular intro and was one of the best compared to other video games. This game consisted of an amazing landscape, with its day & night cycle making it seem realistic (Graphics = SPECTACULAR!). There’s variety of options in the ways you hunt machines and enemies. There’s also an array of options when using photo mode and also an option of Quick Save, which is probably one of the fastest save option in video games. The ability to Fast Travel is a great feature, as it reduces stress over traveling further distances in the game. Got to say, the soundtrack is a masterpiece, this was the main thing that sold me on this game.

Conversely, Horizon had an ordinary and weak narrative with a boring end to the game. It had plain acting and unnecessary and cheesy dialogues. The fighting mechanics of some machines were clumsy and not well programmed. There were also a bunch of glitches within the game, which is quite common in an open world game.

My overall summary of this game, is that it’s innovative in the sense that it has futuristic elements such as high-tech machines and technology but also has primitive features such as using bows, arrows etc. But the game itself is a coalition of aspects of other games such as Shadow of Mordor, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Uncharted 4. To be completely honest, I love this game but the story was a big let-down for me, as I believe it wasn't as strong as it could've been. But this game was a big improvement from Killzone: Shadow Fall and I'm glad Guerrilla shifted their team to work on this brilliant new IP as they started to milk the Killzone franchise which I needless.

My Final Verdict: 8.5/10

• I haven't played the game, but I just wanted to note how great it is that the characters are all clean, their clothing is clean, and there's no rough stitching to be found anywhere on their clothing. I'm so sick of this imaginary notion that people of the past, or people who aren't living in civilisation, are all caked in dirt and mud, and their clothing all looks like it was sown by a 5-year-old. People had artisanal skill long before the 20th century.

Might not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but it's one of my pet peeves in film and gaming. This false idea that people in the past were filthy barbarians with no standards.

• I put about 2 hours into Horizon earlier today. Wow is it a beautiful looking game. Haven't messed around with photo mode too much but I can see myself trying it out.

The first 30 minutes or so are a bit of a slog really while they build a premise and hit the tutorial beats. Once you finally get out hunting and exploring it really picks up and I finished off where you fight your first Sawtooth. That thing has a presence! I was seriously impressed by that feeling that I was tackling something kinda daunting and planning out my attack. I just found it really fun.

Looking forward to putting some more time in tomorrow.