Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

• Banned

So much talking to uninteresting npc's in this game. The robot dinosaurs take a backseat to everything.

Where's the gameplay, Guerrilla Games?!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• So EZA's review is up:

Youtube Video

Also for any Danny O'Dwyer fans, here are his thoughts on it:

Youtube Video

I'm gonna read a couple of reviews as well, but so far it seems pretty sweet. Just the kind of game I need after playing through Hitman Season 1 and RE7.

• Looks like Horizon is getting pretty good reviews. I think it'll definitely be a game I'll pick up in the future.. though the usual repetitive sounding open world and lackluster writing will keep it from being a day one purchase for me. There's just something about the Ubisoft style that doesn't always work for me

My single Q1 purchase is now between Mass Effect and Nioh

• @Faaip Mass Effect will have repetitive gameplay and lackluster storytelling as well though :P

• @Exist-2-Inspire Heh you're probably right. I'm just getting nostalgic and remembering how amazing ME1 and 2 were.. I'm still holding out hope!

• Great review by Jones, he explained everything good about the game and why he liked it while still informing me exactly why I personally would hate it

@Exist-2-Inspire said in Horizon Zero Dawn - (PS4):

@Faaip Mass Effect will have repetitive gameplay and lackluster storytelling as well though :P

I'll be getting Nier instead, I think it's much more my kinda thing in terms of story/gameplay/design

• So far reviews are pretty good. Congrats to GG for making the game you wanted to make!

• I never really expected Guerrilla Games to deliver an amazing story. It's not what the Killzone games are known for. Having said that, the review helped me conclude that this will be worth giving a try.

• Colin Moriarty loves this game so much he might marry it. Says it's the best ps4 exclusive, over bloodborne and UC4. Says it's the 2nd best Sony exclusive of all time after TLOU.

• Global Moderator

Can I just fleak in and say that the EZA review of this game made me super hyped about this again! It does really sound like a game right up my alley! HYPE!

• The reviews have mostly confirmed that this is not for me, may look into it in some years if I it's cheap enough.

• @TokyoSlim To be fair, I wouldn't take what he says on Bloodborne too seriously. He's only played so much of it and really liked it but he didn't exactly play a huge amount of it.

I doubt PS4 will get a better exclusive than Bloodborne.

• @tokeeffe9 I'm not making any statements regarding his judgment, only pointing out his specific critical praise surprised me. I mean, I only played 12 hours of bloodborne, and i haven't played UC4 at all. I recognize they are quality though. TLOU is probably my favorite Sony exclusive.

The fact that multiple well known, legitimate review outlets are giving this game perfect marks, and that some people seem over the top enamored for this game is pretty cool though. I'm excited to get into it.

• I'm just worried that this'd be too much like Rise of the Tomb Raider which I just played a month ago. A female protagonist in an open world with a bow and arrow taking enemies down either stealthily or head on while gathering and collecting all kinds of resources and upgrading all the equipment. Of course, there's the difference of giant freaking robot dinosaurs, but I don't know. Too similar too quickly again? Maybe I should wait despite the really good reviews. It'd be cheaper as well later. But still: I'd want something new to play... :/

• Very good reviews all around! I just can't quite justify it to myself when the switch + Zelda is out two days later. Have a feeling Horizon would be end up being left unplayed (my own priorities....not a knock on the quality of the game).

Will probably go for it later on in the year when I have more time to properly dig in.

• @Sentinel-Beach Yakuza 0, man. It's an excellent palette cleanser.

• @Sentinel-Beach I was also getting some Tomb Raider vibes from the gameplay I've seen. I just finished Rise recently too

• The game has been in the spotlight in the last few days, getting great reviews and high praise for all elements that are incorporated within the title. Congrats to GG for the success (not in sales yet but most likely it'll do great there too).

Are you guys still going to be getting it day 1. Will you wait?. Or are you still not interested in the title.

I feel like the game plot, narrative and world puts me to sleep. What I do like about the game is the shear attention to detail and graphics. Its technically sound and runs great.

However I still don't feel like I would want to play the game.

Share your thoughts

• @MSBi said in Horizon Zero Dawn - (PS4):

Are you guys still going to be getting it day 1. Will you wait?. Or are you still not interested in the title.

Probably. I'm in the mood for an adventure game and I don't have any interest in getting a launch Switch and Zelda.

I feel like the game plot, narrative and world puts me to sleep.

I rarely feel that the overall story of games engages or impresses me. They're usually just servicable. It doesn't help that likeable characters are pretty important for my enjoyment of the story.
    So generally I play games for the gameplay, which Horizon seems to do well.

For example, the only games from 2016 that come to mind when I think of stories I really enjoyed are Uncharted 4, Mafia 3, Witcher 3 DLC.