Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

• Day one. Hunting robot dinosaurs in a post apocalyptic world puts you guys to sleep? What does it take to wake you up?

• @TokyoSlim

Obviously you have a different opinion to myself. I hope my opinion hasn't angered you. The writing is very generic I feel. My bro has it pre-ordered so I will definitely give it a go but I just know what to expect from the story. With the lack of meaningful side-quests which make up majority of a an open world game. I barely find any NPC interesting in the game tbh. The robot mechanics and gameplay looks cool but I don't feel invested in open world if the story and character seem unimportant. I could be wrong but thats what I've heard and witnessed from gameplay vids.

I heard a lot of praise for the last of us where every site gave it 10's and to this day I feel the game is overrated. The multiplayer was fun though.

• Lol no, I'm not mad at all. The game is getting massive praise for the exact things you're dismissing though? The surprising and engrossing nature of the world and story, writing, the sidequests, etc.

I repeat my earlier question, if HORIZON is generic, what the hell are you playing that excites you?

• @TokyoSlim

The reviews are basically saying the story just keep you focused long enough until the end where the eventually there is some kind of resolution. I am not here to start fights. I enjoy video game and I am not privy to just take 9.5's or 10's as something I will like instantly. I judge for myself. I really think the main character is dull.

I think the game is gonna use its sound and graphics to awe people. I do feel that the gameplay is varied but could get repetitive in the long run. I felt the voice acting was fine but writing is nothing special. The fact that I love Sony and its exclusives, the fact that I loved GG and Killzones just makes me more critical of all the exclusives and I am not fixated. I am very flexible and if after trying out the game I find that it warrants having a full playthrough then i will but being honest about something is what I value and not just taking opinions without a pinch of grain or salt.

I guess what i am saying I hope it changes my mind but I am very in tune with my feeling about video games and know what I want and would like.

Most of the time when I fall into the hype and end up getting and playing the game after having board the hype train i end up more disappointed then blown away. So I am very skeptic.

• @MSBi said in Horizon Zero Dawn - (PS4):

The reviews are basically saying the story just keep you focused long enough until the end where the eventually there is some kind of resolution. I am not here to start fights.

Then you aren't reading the same reviews as me. Nobody is fighting, we are discussing a game.

GiantBomb:
    The overall story is solid, but the moment-to-moment dialogue is also quite good. Even some of the smaller quests get their own fascinating twists and turns, and characters often defy expectations in welcome ways. Aloy is well-voiced as a character caught between worlds, someone who has to try to explain advanced technology to a bunch of religious zealots who think she's either the second coming or a demon herself. It all makes for a really refreshing experience that zigged when I assumed it would definitely zag on a few different occasions. That said, it's worth noting that a lot of the lip-syncing in cutscenes is remarkably off. In a game with such fantastic visual design, one that pays such close attention to tiny details, this sticks out more than it would otherwise.

Polygon:

• It's a cast whose progress through the story I was eager to witness, and the political maneuvering of the world of Horizon weaves myriad opportunities for intrigue both in this game and the future. Horizon Zero Dawn answers the vast majority of the questions it presents. It leaves characters with arcs that feel completed but also a bear sense of continuity, of possible direction for the future. It builds in the potential for sequels and spinoffs, but in a smart, natural way, without the need for frustrating cliffhangers or unresolved plot threads.

(OK, there's one tiny thread left over in the post-credits stinger, but I found the game's handling of this tease more clever than cynical.)*

Jimquisition:
    When not out hunting machines there’s a ton of other stuff to do, and while some of the distractions veer into cheap collect-a-thon territory, there are enough well-written and interesting side quests, enough weird distractions to get into, that the occasional bit of padding is so much less egregious than it is in, say, Far Cry 4.

RPGsite:
    *I’ve always been a bit skeptical about open world games.

I’ve always been wary of the possibility of looking at beautiful views but finding that there is little depth to them. I’ve never thought of linearity as a bad thing, especially if an open world turns out to exist at the expense of a solid story.

Upon my first moment of seeing Horizon Zero Dawn's E3 trailer several years ago, I was awed by the stunning visuals and its concept captivated me. I worried that despite its beauty, it would fall short narratively and end up as a game remembered only for its image.

That's why I was pleased to find out that this worry is an unfounded one. Horizon Zero Dawn is deeply rich in both image and substance. It's expansive and filled with tasks to do and places to explore. On top of that it also contains an enthralling story that eagerly pulls you into this mysterious, often haunting, and endlessly gorgeous world.*

PushSquare:
    But for as good as the title is at ticking boxes, it also has plenty to say for itself. Indeed, those who chastised Guerrilla Games for failing to flesh out the Helghast's story may be surprised by just how much lore is crammed into this 50 or so hour epic: bickering tribes tussle over differing religious beliefs while splinter factions wage bitter civil wars against monarchs who seek to heal the split between societies. And this all runs concurrently alongside the tale of the Old World, the civilization that existed before extinction ended life as we know it today and allowed the Earth to be inhabited by enormous robotic machines.

Trustedreviews:
    It kept me invested because this is a story unlike any other in video games. There are clear inspirations – Zero Dawn’s map structure is reminiscent of Game of Thrones, except with robots instead of White Walkers and incestuous royalty. The Nora – Aloy’s adoptive people – represent the Northern tribe, and as such are treated as savages. As the story slowly peels itself away, you’ll only become desperate to find out more. It is why my attempts to play for just 30 minutes often led to several hours of solid gameplay. The extended sessions were aided by an incredibly satisfying combat system, too.
    Read more at http://trustedreviews.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review#FTu5hCQds8zYbOHW.99

Gameinformer:
    Unlike most open-world games, I looked forward to finding new audio logs and emails that detail the old world's collapse, and the modern-day conflicts between the isolationist Nora tribe, sun-worshipping Carja, and combative Oseram give Aloy's quest more meaning and complexity. Most importantly, Horizon isn't afraid to delve deep into heady sci-fi topics, and the myriad mysteries it sets up are all answered in a marathon of revelations and explanations toward the end of the game. Despite its flaws and foibles, Horizon's story unexpectedly became one of the major driving forces of the game for me.

I could find fifty more of these.

• Banned

@MSBi said in Horizon Zero Dawn - (PS4):

@TokyoSlim

I heard a lot of praise for the last of us where every site gave it 10's and to this day I feel the game is overrated.

I feel the same way. There are tons of games that have gotten numerous 9's/10's and awards that I thought were boring trash.

I guess you really can't trust anyone's option except for your own.

• @Art I'm not saying that it's for everyone, I'm just pointing out that if 9/10 people say the story is good, pre-judging the story to be trash and saying you'll probably find it boring is rather jaded.

I think Brandon might have been the harshest on the story that I've come across, and he wasn't even that down on it.

• @TokyoSlim Your quote collection there might have turned me around, to be honest. This is sounding really interesting again, as my mood continues to sail. I hadn't read that many reviews before.

• @Sentinel-Beach I'm not trying to prove the story is good, I'm just pointing out that enough people are specifically taking the time to praise the story and alleviate fears that the sidequests are mostly pointless collectable hunts that it's not where I feel like this game will fall down.

Combat vs human AI, lip synching, and jumping mechanics during platforming and traversal are the gripes I'm watching out for. And even then, people are saying these are mostly minor issues.

• @TokyoSlim

I agree with you and ofcourse I can't dispute what the reviews are collectively agreeing on. I'll definitely give it a go and I hope it turns me around completely and really gives me the open world feeling I am looking for. But eaahhhh!. There is something putting me off dammit. There is gotta be people like me that feel the same. I can't be totally wrong.

• I take it back, the USGamer review is the harshest I've read. It's the lowest review on MC at 5/10 and is the obvious statistical outlier.

Reading it though, I kinda feel like maybe this guy hates games. It's a little spoilery, so i won't repost here.

He gives two specific sidequest scenarios that he feels are "pointless" and they read to me very similarly to the unfolding of most typical sidequests in TW3, a game praised by most for being some of the best general handling of sidequests in the genre. In a world of "go fetch 10 werehog pelts to exchange for a sword" the sidequests he's describing sound pretty well fleshed out.

Also, people often forget that you don't always need a direct motivation or reward to engage in sidequests. Sometimes you help people out because you feel like helping someone out. Just like in real life. Sometimes you stop to help someone change a flat tire, sometimes you drive on by... there's not always a trophy at the end. :)

So if you're looking for someone seemingly very critical of the game, that's your review.

• @TokyoSlim

But I do get the feeling where you are totally convinced the game is spectacular and anyone saying anything about it are wrong and lost in their heads or rather hate video games. You gotta admit it you are being that way.

• @MSBi I'm not sure where you're getting that. In fact I pointed out several issues that keep coming up in various reviews. The game is not infallible, I just would rather address the problems that are actually being revealed to be in the game rather than ones that are just people's preconceived notions.

It's entirely possible you won't like the game's story, but that doesn't mean the game has a bad story. It's become clear at this point that in context of most people, it doesn't. Assuming you won't like it doesn't get you anywhere as there's no real points of discussion that support that at the moment. You'll notice that I posted a debate I had with the worst review I could find. Namely that things he describe as pointless and repetitive in comparison with other like games seem to be similar to the best of what's currently out there as he's describing them. I'm not saying he doesn't think they suck, but if those are really his standards, there's not any games I can think of that meet them.

It has become clear from reviews and early copy that the human enemy AI in the game is lacking sophistication. That's an actual thing that is not implimented well. Most reviews mention this, even the perfectly scored ones. Most people agree that this isn't a major issue and that this is a very good game despite minor flaws. Very few people seem to think otherwise.

• Let's just say that I expected and was open to this being a good game. I liked the premise.

What's being described in reviews is significantly better than that, and the consistency of the praise cause me to anticipate a better game than I was originally already interested in.

• @TokyoSlim

You are being defensive about the game like its the only game you had been waiting to get and you will go and find anything that justifies how right you are. I am just put off by the world, story and characters and by no mean I think they are badly done. I, me personally haven't found them interesting. Plus I hate the sketch menus which I think are god awe full. If I hated on the game in its entirety then why would I give it a chance and play through it. Obviously I like GG and I want this game to succeed but its not convincing me in my eyes its still a decent game based on my pre conception.

Nier Automata is coming as well as Persona 5 - The masterpieces are still coming. This is just the beginning. How every reviewer unanimously praises the game make me curious whether Sony has paid them which is obviously not the case is it but you never know.

• The only person justifying anything here doesn't seem to be me. You just said you question whether Sony might have paid off reviewers because their reviews don't match your preconceived notions of a game you haven't played yet?

Oook? Good luck to ya, I guess.

• @TokyoSlim

my pre conceived notions are just temporary and I aim for them to be wrong. Thats how I am looking at it as. I'm still getting the game either way and i hope I am speechless playing it. If you had given thought to my earlier post you would comment more wisely. The things I most looking forward to that reviews have praised is the opening and the ending which obviously needs to be strong. It just feels odd to me that every reviews is consistently similar thats all. I can voice my opinion. you can too. doesn't make what you or I say is right. its just what we believe based on the evidence.

• Generally speaking, reviews consistently mention similar things because they are true, or relevant. Not because there's a conspiracy to fool you.

• @TokyoSlim

Your right. I hope you don't feel i'm hating on the game because im not. I haven't played it so Im a little negative towards it which i am as with other titles too. We are all gamers and we play games because we enjoy them. I hope to enjoy this title not until I sit down and get dirty with it. I'll just end it here.

• I hope we both enjoy it! It sounds like an awesome game to me!