Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

• I am definitely digging the game. Its good to hear reviews have been overall pretty positive. I played a demo at PSX and enjoyed the little taste I got. I personally want to hunt robot dinosaurs.
    Alas, it comes out too close to Zelda which I have been patiently waiting on for much longer. I really want to play Horizon but I have a feeling it will fall off to next year for me, much like how I really want to play Uncharted 4, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, and Watchdogs 2.

• Digital Foundry tech analysis of ps4 vs PS4 Pro mild location spoilers

Youtube Video

Summary: Decima kicks a lot of ass.
    Very stable 30 fps in both 1080p and 4k Checkerboard with only minor drops in full multiple enemy combat with destructions and particle effects. On both versions. Except mysteriously inside one house that just looks like someone forgot to optimize.

Frame pacing looks good and smooth.

• @Tragosaurus I think I'm in the opposite camp. Zelda and Horizon both come out around the same time, but I'm vastly more excited for Horizon.
    I think Im just soured on the big Z after the last few entries were so lackluster (with Skyward Sword being downright abysmal imho) so I'm a bit apprehensive to buy into the hype.

• I'm still trying to wrap up Yakuza 0 before Horizon hits. I've also got Mass Effect, Nier:Automata and P5 preordered. It's been an insane Q1 for gaming this year.

• @El-Shmiablo I can definitely understand that. I'm personally not so down on the past [console] entries. I remember (its been a while) not liking Wind Waker at all, loving Twilight Princess, and thinking Skyward Sword was alright. From what I've seen of Breath of the Wild I have numerous concerns but at the same time I think it looks great. We'll see how I feel about it after playing it for a bit. On the other hand I think Horizon looks so fresh/fun and I can't think of anything that is dampening my excitement for it. It was a day one purchase for me until it got matched up with my nostalgic love for Zelda unfortunately. Then with the games that are being released later in the spring/summer Horizon is sadly going to have to wait.

• Banned

@TokyoSlim It's easy to maintain a good fps when half the game is covered in fog.

Enter photo mode and the fog mysteriously disappears.

• @Art it's literally the best looking game on any console upon its release. :)

I kind of doubt that it's that "easy" or everyone else would be doing the same thing, and there aren't many games that look like this that perform as well. The Witcher ran like trash for 3 months and several patches. Still dips in swamps.

Even Horizon fog looks good.

• @MSBi said in Horizon Zero Dawn - (PS4):

I barely find any NPC interesting in the game tbh.

Here's the thing I don't get. You talk as if you've already experienced the story and sidequests, so have you been watching streams or something? How do you know you don't like any NPC in the game without playing it?

If you have been watching streams, then maybe that was a mistake, some games are much more enjoyable when being played rather than watched.

• I can't wait to get to this game. I may even disregard my massive backlog and push this straight to the front. I've only listened to video reviews since I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as I can but everything about this appeals to me. I looks like Guerrilla Games have a winner with their Decimal engine which only bodes well for future PS4 games.

• I can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a game. Horizon looks to me like it could be Sonys next great franchise. I hope it will be everything i'm expecting I love RPG.

• @Axel

Your right. I was meant to say it way my first impression. I will definately be playing the game throughly before i can give my actual impression.

This game does deserve attention as I was convinced earliar.

Having said that no one on this forum has played the game so everyones opinion is based on trailers, gameplay and reviews so we dont know if I or you would like the story and world in its entirety until we dig deep. I think thats a fair point. Don't you?

• @MSBi Yeah of course, I personally find the game world appealing but I can't speak for the quality of the writing or side-quests, and based on the few reviews I've read they're definitely not ground-breaking in any way. I was just asking because it sounded like you had seen a lot of the game already.

• It's Zero Dawn, North America!

• Banned

Been playing for a few hours.

Gameplay - Fun/10
    Environment - Beautiful/10
    Robot Dinosaur Designs - Kickass/10
    Dialog Wheel - Brain/10
    Human Character Designs - Hideous/10
    Voice Acting - Cringe/10
    Story - Mod Edited Out My Original Post/10

Overall - Get better writers for the sequel/10

• I have been playing for a few hours too. Just turned it off to come here and share my thoughts.

I don't know what to say. I like the graphics, the combat is fine not as revolutionary as i though it was. I am playing on the hardest difficulty and still the enemy fall like flies. Its way easy but that maybe because I just came from Nioh.

I would have to agree with everything Art said above. I am so glad I didn't preorder the game. I am playing my brothers copy. I feel like pasing judgement on games before they are released is becoming easy for me as games are exactly how I think they are going to be before playing them.

I still promised tokyslim above that I would give it a chance and play through to the end and I will but there is nothing revolutionary here. Its a very basic RPG.

If I had to rate it right now after playing for a few hours I would give it a 7/10

• I've been playing for 4 hours. Still in the tutorial area. Game is legit, not sure what you are all complaining about. :)

• @MSBi said in Horizon Zero Dawn - (PS4):

I still promised tokyslim above that I would give it a chance

That's kinda a weird thing to put on me. Don't "give it a chance" because you feel like you owe it to me, give it a chance because you like video games and it's a video game.

Passing judgement on games before you play them is not something to be proud of, by the way. I'm not sure why you'd think it was. You ever heard the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover?"

• alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• Played tutorial and done first mission and 2 or 3 side missions/errands. I have to say i'm in love with it so far. Aloy is making the game for me I love her character and the world.

• @TokyoSlim

I guess you took my comment the wrong way the reason why i said i made a promise is not to put stuff on you but because i know you really believe in this game and you love it and you changed my mind about it. Before you convinced me i didnt even want to touch the game so yeah. Thank you

Well Ofcourse no one should be proud of passing judgement to anything or anyone before experiencing it but what i was implying is that this gen I have been very successfull at knowing what I want and like beforehand and i am suprised. I guess you didnt take it that way. Its fine. I wasnt very clear about it the way i worded it.

On the plus side I do want to finish the game and do all the side stuff and max out my gear because now i feel I am invested as with many games. I cant leave a game unfinished

Ratings from journalists and websites dont mean much to me but a 7/10 just basically tells me what i feel and where i am at with the game. You can that rating however you want to

I have encountered many people on GameFAQs forums and forums all over the internet who are cynical, unhappy and quite frankly just want to troll and cause a ruckus. I on the other hand am not good in conveying how i feel in writing hence i am misunderstood. I love video games and will always hence if you love something you increase your expectation to some extent because you regard it highly. I can assure you and all the allies I have no business coming here and causing ill. I just want to be honest and voice my opinion. This last bit is not a response to you directly but a message to all allies.

I am here to appreciate and love others ideas and passion about video games and I dont hate video games. I am just a very harsh critique