Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread

• Easy Ally

@Carpainter I actually do the final check for comments for Love and Respect before I leave for Jones', which is usually around 4:15PM PT, so today it was up for just over six hours, which means you probably got screwed. Maybe I can post these late Monday nights

• @Bosman I'd definitely like it if you did Kyle!

• @Bosman Thanks for responding! That'd be great if you could manage it, but I understand that your life doesn't purely consist of Allies stuff so don't feel like you have to.
    Grateful enough for the fact the podcast even exists! :joy:

• Oh man, Bosman. You and me, bro!
    My podcast question was exactly what was talked about, though I was pretty sure it was going to be the topic.

I am so mad that people are praising Nintendo instead of Niantic. The people who work the hardest should deserve respect, and everyone is being so disrespectful to Niantic. I really hope more journalists set this record straight because even popular game media are putting Pokemon GO centric articles around Nintendo.

Edit: About the L&R for dads, Stardew Valley is waaaaay mechanically difficult for dads who don't play games.

It needs to be something really easy to understand, which all those simple mobile games do perfectly.

• Argh, Would have loved if the Love and Respect segment would have gone into why or why not they think each game was in development or not.
    The last of us 2 is definitively in development, I can feel it.

• @seppo91 Nope, they are working on Unkarted: Drake's Championship and the unannounced real Crash Bandicoot sequel.

• I am surprised the Demon Souls one was all no's when there has been some smoke to it

• @Lexad Well Miyazaki said recently that Demon Souls Remaster could happen if another studio does it, so it's most likely not in any state of development.

• @Whoaness said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

@Lexad Well Miyazaki said recently that Demon Souls Remaster could happen if another studio does it, so it's most likely not in any state of development.

Sony owns the ip so I don't think they necessarily have to notify him if they start

• @Lexad Hmm I suppose so, but From Software developed it. Sony aren't the type to do these things without some sort of collaboration or letting devs know that they're porting games. Every Sony port I know about had the original devs working with the porting devs.

• @Whoaness I was sad to see the Demon's Souls connections cut from Bloodborne, and wonder how many others were trimmed. Given that Dark Souls 3 carries so much fanservice from the first game, an interesting dichotomy in that regard.

On a From tip, i'm excited for what Yui Tanimura does next. I think the man's a genius, and Scholar Of The First Sin means the world to me.

• the streak won't end
    alt text

• Good episode, I especially liked the picks in L&R and what conversion there was around those subjects.

Two questions/suggestions for the podcast in general:

1. Kyle, I know we all have our lives and things can happen and so on, but about this Friday's podcast release. I mean, it's listed in your schedule here on your site, that it will be up at noon there / at 10 PM here (Finland). And from what I've understood, you only need to make it public on Fridays, not upload it anymore or something like this. Yet, it's been around 50/50 of the times that I've waited for an hour or two, maybe more, that it would come up, and then finally gave up and watched it on Saturday morning.

And that's fine, it's not that big of a deal. I'd just wish that if you're not able to publish the podcast on time someone else could be. That you wouldn't necessarily be the only one responsible for it. Or, that the time on the schedule would be changed to a later time, or maybe even just more vague. Today it was an hour late, last week I think pretty much right on time.

A little bit more consistency is the thing I'm after, I guess. L&R

1. With the bets. I'd love it if you could do some more game-related, and maybe not that much focusing on reviews. I mean the best has been the one with the Starfox game, from where we even got that video material. If that could happen more every once in a while (once a month?), it'd be really sweet. Loved that short bonus video vibe.

Thanks for a great podcast, wouldn't miss it even once!

• So, another great podcast! :) I was visiting my family over the weekend, and I saw it when I got the chance. I watched it and I wanted to respond, but I couldn't. I will do that now.

RE: Nintendo being credited in being "responsible" for Pokemon Go; Well, they own some stake in "The Pokemon Company." That's one part, but here's something to consider (and for reference, here's the link), The Pokemon Company is a consortium of Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures.

Definition for the word "Consortium" are as follows...

• a combination of financial institutions, capitalists, etc., for carrying into effect some financial operation requiring large resources of capital.
    • any association, partnership, or union.
    • Law. the legal right of partners in a marriage to companionship and conjugal intercourse with each other

So, in other words, a sort of merge of sorts, except it's not. Few examples I can think off the bat: Hulu is a consortium of of Disney–ABC Television Group (The Walt Disney Company), Fox Broadcasting Company (21st Century Fox), and NBCUniversal Television Group (Comcast). Activision Blizzard is a consortium of both Activision and Blizzard. Bandai Namco is a consortium of Bandai and Namco. Sega Sammy is a consortium of SEGA and Sammy.

Nintendo is getting the credit for the app because Nintendo is the big company of the three, is the one with a war chest bigger than either GameFreaks or Creatures, or even Niantic. Investors look at this as a good thing for Nintendo because they 'get it' (like Brandon Jones said) in the sense that they let it happen. They didn't interfere, or anything. They didn't even market this thing, they just let the fans speak for them. And it's exploding like crazy. You can't miss it. It's on TV, it's on Newspapers, it's on magazines, its on news sites, it's on blogs, it's on forums, it's ...it's everywhere! Investors look at that, the first thing that should come out of their mouth is "holy. fucking. shit!" Investors get it, that it makes money; it made 14 million dollars in a week.

RE: How long will this "hot potato" last?

Loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnng. LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG.

This is an APP. It can be updated frequently, or infrequently, however they want this to go. Pokemon alone, on it's own has THOUSANDS of Pokemons. THOUSANDS. Not hundreds. THOUSANDS. If you have a catalogue of characters or monsters that big, ANYTHING can happen. This whole thing just opens opportunities for Niantic to keep people engaged. You want to retain your userbase for as long as you want if you want to make money.

RE: Nintendo going mobile?

I don't like the idea. They don't have anything that's inherently - expansive. Pokemon is Nintendo's peak. It will just drop, and drop and drop until people forgets the whole thing. Nintendo is chasing a fad. Get over it. It's going to be a fad. Stick with what you know, Nintendo. Goddamnit. Just, stop fucking up, and get on with your shit. Release NX, and maintain that with good, good, and I mean GOOD games. And relax your publishing "rules," so you become inviting to fans, consumers, casuals, and DEVELOPERS. PUBLISHERS. You know the people that make GAMES for you? The people that pay you MONEY? Yeah, that.

If you can't do any of that... Then for the love of god. GO. THIRD. FREAKIN' PARTY. DAMNIT.

They don't really have anything on the horizon that will spark this kind of media storm other than Animal Crossing. Their competition, like the panel brought up: FarmVille.

RE: Sponsored Videos.

Hey, FTC! Yeah, I'm talking to you: Warner Bros. isn't the only company doing this. You're chasing the wrong horse.

And no, this isn't an isolated incident. In fact, this is going on more frequently than you think. What I think contributed to Warner Bros. getting a slap on the hand for this is because some troll went up to someone high up in the chain that has the power to make decision to do this.

(This same troll wanted more money from Warner Bros. This is probably a revenge on the part of the troll.)

I thought that Mordor was well-received? What's this shit anyway? I don't know why FTC is going after Warner Bros. for this...? Honestly, it's not really a big deal.

Activision recently did this to Tmartn...

Youtube Video

EA recently did this at EA Play, but are being coy about it. Like, who cares?

I just think this is a ridiculous situation.

• Wow almost all of the Rise of the Tomb Raider wishes are actually in the PS4 version:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/07/lara_crofts_tomb_raider_rises_on_ps4_with_new_story_modes_and_playstation_vr

• @TheHashtag0nist @Sentinel-Beach Yeah they needed to justify that full price. This is the smartest way to do it because new gameplay is what draws people in.

But it is actually a Sony rule (or Microsoft's if the situation is the other way around) that a game must have new content that makes it different from the release version if it is a timed exclusive. Castle Crashers was MS timed exclusive and came out on PlayStation with new modes and stuff.

One more thing, I wonder if the Xbox version will have this new stuff.

Edit: looks like they will

• Got my question in nice and early yesterday, cheers for posting it so much further in advance, Kyle!

• Dat drawing tho

alt text

• @Krauser Hah, the build up for that reveal. "Seems like he's written a lot." Don's a delight!

Argh, Huber bashing mono Beatles... I'm not a crazy Beatles fan but presuming that the remastered mixes are better because stereo is better than mono is a little ignorant. Like I said, I'm not a die hard fan, but easily noticed that some of the stereo mixes are dreadful and completely butchered. Great analogy by Blood though.