Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread

• Looking forward to watching this week, hope couch returns next week! Also i still miss the GT Time theme.

Youtube Video

• Every week I look forward to sitting down and listening the allies talk about current events. They always have varying opinions which keeps it really interesting and it's great to have so many perspectives. So pumped for the first post E3 podcast :D Bosman is such a great host too, he's going to go far if he keeps at it :)

• @Kasper said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

[...] when there's something big on the horizon like E3 it makes sense to beef it up, and when there's nothing interesting to talk about it's fine if the podcast is just an hour long.

@Lexad said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

What I meant to say is that don't stop it at 1:15 if the discussion flow is going great. If nothing is going on, then 45 min is great

Podcast length is something that was important when there was the possibility that some of the shows where going to be shown on SPIKE TV. With today's way of watching shows on demand the length of a show is less a factor; And honestly I don't know why you would limit yourself to a running-time. Like many here already said it makes more sense to have a longer podcast for when you have something to talk about (during E3 & Christmas) and a short one when there is nothing happening. Like I always want to hear more Love&Respect, but because that is the last segment it always feels rushed. Kyle often skips questions and I myself have to wonder what patrons wanted to know. Use your best judgment which questions you ask. I generally wouldn't cut of a discussion even if you talked about that topic for 20min already.

TL;DR: If there's nothing new make the show 30min. If the Gaming-World is on fire make the podcast 5hours long. Same goes for FrameTrap BTW.

• 5 reviews so far. PSU, IGN, Sixthaxis, Destructoid, Godisageek.

3 disappoint so far. I feel like Red Eagles are getting another.

• alt text

KAH KAAAH!!!

• I'll be amazed if that trophy bet moves past 0.1%. It doesn't seem like it would be something that's obvious to do in game unless you were specifically going for the plat.

• I wanted to further emphasize on Brad's comment on showing release dates in trailers. He said, "Things change in development all the time. They're obviously shooting for that date, so if things go wrong, I know that."

Having had experience in the industry, release dates are very bad for developers. Everyone knows crunch is evil and unhealthy, so having release dates looking like a hangman's noose just makes it worse. I absolutely agree that release dates should not be shown until close to release, and I even had some aspiration, if I was a company head honcho, to reveal an AAA game a month before its release as an experiment just to see if it'll work and spark a new kind of strategy. Unfortunately, that won't happen, so let me go into a few details about release dates.

It's not well-known that changing release dates get penalized, mostly from the store vendors. Stores prepare flyers, marketing plans, planned shelf space, expect inventory on that certain date, and if a delay announcement occurs too late, Walmart or whatever will ding the dev/publisher a hefty penalty in terms of money to accommodate the change. It's especially worse if the game is going to be shown in a lot different vendors and stores. The cost can pile up. Then there is the console manufacturers who certify your product and print your discs. This part isn't a big deal if you give Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo enough leeway to accommodate the delay. If the game hasn't gone into any certification process or starting printing on disc (thank God for patching), then it shouldn't have any penalty at all. Certification is expensive, so delaying because the game failed at certification is not something devs want. There is also the case where devs will pay console makers to prioritize their games for disc printing just to make deadlines, and that can also be expensive.

In summary, it is expensive and stressful to delay a game, and hard deadlines really hurt the devs and the game. I hope more publishers will ease off the release dates for the sake of the industry.

Also, Bosman is just salty that TLG at E3 2015 didn't get a specific date because he lost the bet (even though he would have lost anyways).

• Where do we enter Corrections for the next Podcast? I need to correct something Ben said.

The Warcraft Movie is not the most successful game franchise movie, in fact, it is currently a failure.

The Warcraft Movie has made $382 million worldwide with a production budget of $160 million before marketing (which could go from $50 to $200 million; Angry Birds spent $100 million on marketing). Knowing that theatres take nearly half of the ticket revenue, The Hollywood Reporter estimates the Warcraft Movie needs to make $450 million in order to break even.

So currently, the Warcraft is in the red and needs about $70 million to break even.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=warcraft.htm
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/legendary-sells-warcraft-china-online-902975

• @Whoaness said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

Where do we enter Corrections for the next Podcast? I need to correct something Ben said.

The Warcraft Movie is not the most successful game franchise movie, in fact, it is currently a failure.

The Warcraft Movie has made $381 million worldwide with a production budget of $160 million before marketing (which could go from $50 to $200 million; Angry Birds spent $100 million on marketing). Knowing that theatres take nearly half of the ticket revenue, The Hollywood Reporter estimates the Warcraft Movie needs to make $450 million in order to break even.

So currently, the Warcraft is in the red and needs about $70 million to break even.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=warcraft.htm
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/legendary-sells-warcraft-china-online-902975

Well he did say he read that somewhere, and since I did as well he was technically correct that he READ it was the most successful.

I wonder what they deem successful taking into account future dvd sales, and merchandise.

• @Inustar Oh, Ben tweeted a reply with an IGN article. IGN just got it wrong.

• Easy Allies forum community full of nice people - confirmed

• @hansm said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

@Kasper said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

[...] when there's something big on the horizon like E3 it makes sense to beef it up, and when there's nothing interesting to talk about it's fine if the podcast is just an hour long.

@Lexad said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

What I meant to say is that don't stop it at 1:15 if the discussion flow is going great. If nothing is going on, then 45 min is great

Podcast length is something that was important when there was the possibility that some of the shows where going to be shown on SPIKE TV. With today's way of watching shows on demand the length of a show is less a factor; And honestly I don't know why you would limit yourself to a running-time. Like many here already said it makes more sense to have a longer podcast for when you have something to talk about (during E3 & Christmas) and a short one when there is nothing happening. Like I always want to hear more Love&Respect, but because that is the last segment it always feels rushed. Kyle often skips questions and I myself have to wonder what patrons wanted to know. Use your best judgment which questions you ask. I generally wouldn't cut of a discussion even if you talked about that topic for 20min already.

TL;DR: If there's nothing new make the show 30min. If the Gaming-World is on fire make the podcast 5hours long. Same goes for FrameTrap BTW.

alt text

• Updated the OP with this week's episode!

• I love this podcast, it's probably the only one I listen to regularly.

I feel that Easy Allies in general could benefit from at least one person with some Microsoft love.

Microsoft's console announcements and play anywhere announcements are solid for gaming. They seem to be positioning Xbox as a Steam type service rather than strictly a console. Having tiered entry points (Xbox Slim, Scorpio, PC) moving forward looks like a very solid strategy as technology lifespans decrease.

• I am a playstation fan so it doesn't bother me as much, but it is a little skewed in favor of Playstation and PC, with the occasional Nintendo love.

I think it was Brad who said it best now, Microsoft's message is "buy a PC" with play anywhere.

• @Lexad I don't think that their message was "buy a PC", while it is perfectly reasonable if you understand it like that. I think it's more like Ben said that they don't mind if you're either on console or PC.
    I mean, they've opened and closed their conference with a console announcement and had a custom controller trailer in between. They definitely have a lot of plans for Xbox left.

• @Nillend While it is not the message Microsoft intended, it is one that I, and several others in the industry, noticed. I don't need an Xbox to play their games. The guys touched on this initially when it came out that Quantum Break was announced to be on PC. If I had bought an Xbox with the intent of the exclusives, but also have a PC, I would be miffed

• @Lexad
    Yeah, the message was really badly presented. But I'm PC main so I'm perfectly happy with the announcement.
    Oh, you should be completely outraged, not just miffed, if you would've recently bought an Xbox for exclusive and had a PC.

• In some parallel dimension, things have taken a very bad turn...

Spoilers ahead (if you haven't seen the June 29th yet, don't click, I'm serious):

http://i.imgur.com/05ymYQT.jpg

• I so want Nintendo to do what Jones pitched for the price announcement now.

Also waiting for the bet to be made when Rufus his battery will die.