Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread

• Bosman missed my corrections. ;_;

I think they should build on that Metroid idea. Have Samus intro on some random mission, then gets an Evil Metroid stuck on her head, controlling her brain. Then Samus goes to whatever human world, murders civilians and children, her Bounty Hunter organization. Then she leaves.

Her brother, a retired veteran Bounty Hunter, comes out of solitude to end her sister's brainwashed misery. Goes through a 2d metroidvania adventure only to ~plot twist~ find out the Evil Metroid is a reborn Mother Brain, and fighting Samus is the last boss...?

I just realized that this totally sounds like Symphony of the Night.

• @Whoaness said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

Bosman missed my corrections. ;_;

I think they should build on that Metroid idea. Have Samus intro on some random mission, then gets an Evil Metroid stuck on her head, controlling her brain. Then Samus goes to whatever human world, murders civilians and children, her Bounty Hunter organization. Then she leaves.

Her brother, a retired veteran Bounty Hunter, comes out of solitude to end her sister's brainwashed misery. Goes through a 2d metroidvania adventure only to ~plot twist~ find out the Evil Metroid is a reborn Mother Brain, and fighting Samus is the last boss...?

I just realized that this totally sounds like Symphony of the Night.

Perhaps there's different endings where Samus' body is destroyed but her consciousness survives in the Evil Metroid. And depending on your time, she either overpowers Mother Brain and takes over the Evil Metroid and becomes Metroid Samus, OR Mother Brain and Samus' personalities fuse creating an ambiguous "is Samus really herself?" type ending. Either way, Maximus' next task is to find a new body for his sister...

• I just remembered, is it weird we're talking about the podcast that is only for $5 patreons? Kinda spoiling, but whatever.

Anyway, about Rare and Sea of Thieves, when I saw it, I didn't think it was going to be that special at its announcement, and now, I still don't think it's special. Currently, it's like 4v4v4 where you get to hangout doing a few fluff pirate activities, and most of the gameplay is the ship fighting. I've played those games recently. Guns of Icarus has been around for a while even though its airships, but Blackwake is the naval version and is really fun. It's currently only available for kickstarter backers, but it's coming out this year.

Unless Sea of Thieves is more than what I think it is, which is all they shown, it just feels like I've played this game already. Sea of Thieves needs to be some insane MMO-lite, like DayZ open world with 50+ player cap, where you can just roleplay and hang out. Otherwise this 4v4v4 just feels lacking.

• @Whoaness
    Glad I read that, MMO-lite was what I was hoping for, bitterly disappointed to see that 4v4v4 stuff.

• KAH KAAHHH!!! what is this score? like what?... what happened since the downfall of GT and the rise of EZA? are we in the evil alternate universe? xD
    alt text

• I must be the only one who misses the Beastie Boys starting game!

• @Churchy said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

I must be the only one who misses the Beastie Boys starting game!

You are :D

• @kevboard said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

KAH KAAHHH!!! what is this score? like what?... what happened since the downfall of GT and the rise of EZA? are we in the evil alternate universe? xD
    alt text

Yeah, this is kind of insane. Having only 2 teams really doesn't let the points spread out. Even though Brandon would be winning, it wouldn't be the complete domination it is now.

• @Churchy nah I enjoyed it too.

• Hmm this ep is a bit weird, probably because of Damiani trolling, but the pacing felt off. It felt short, but it was almost an hour and a half.

Anyway, it would have been nice if Bosman put in the nominees for the Game Awards for better context. Would have made it obvious that said Nintendo game is not even on E3 critic's radar. They have so many weird rules though.

About the CS:GO stuff. Super shady. Valve doesn't care about it. They actually benefit greatly from the gambling scheme because the more times an item transfers hands, they more money they get because they take a cut.

I despise a lot of games, I couldn't even remember all the games I despise without having to think hard.

Console wars is great. Heck, I was in the console wars before Sega was around. I was a PC Engine fanboy against Nintendo.
    I think the fans directly impact the performance of the console companies. If they don't give us what we want, or give us something we don't care about, they are deaf to their fans. Sony didn't win E3 because their execs wanted some time with celebrities, they won because they listened to their fans about what they want to see.

• I really loved this episode. Thinking about Spore really was a deep cut, and the Yup or Nope game was fantastic. Really good Love & Respect questions as well. I do have to agree with Whoaness though, the pacing was a little strange, but I do kind of attribute that to Damiani as he made the show screech to a halt pretty regularly. Still 5 stars though.

• evil parallel universe confirmed!
    alt text

• The one thing the allies didn't really know is that CS:GO Skins are very easily transferred to cash. There's plenty of websites that you can instantly sell skins for non-steam $$$. I won't name them here, but they exist, and streamers have openly used it. Including TMART/Etc.

@kevboard Awesome picture! You should tweet that at Brandon/Kyle if you made it!

• I think it's hypocritical to preach love & respect on the one hand but then say console wars and superiority complexes are healthy. Competition between companies should be honourable, and the hostility between owners of a certain piece of equipment over another is unnecessary.

• @TOPHATANT123 Debate is healthy and can be done in a respectful manner. They were saying how practicing debate through console wars is good in order to help articulate thoughts into words before getting into real-life issues like politics.

Honestly, no one gets hurt from console wars. Plenty of people are being hurt or killed on the issue of guns, racism, and war because they don't talk before acting.

• @Stormcrownn The whole CSGO thing (and TF2 before it, I actually stopped playing because I was so tired of everything just being about "the economy") just makes me think of Pachinko. It's not a game at that point it's just a way to make money in a weird and probably-legally grey way.

• I think Kyle needs a new game at the beginning of the podcast. No-one used the word in this podcast.

• @gospvg You're right. I didn't even notice.

Normally, someone will use the word, but it was totally forgotten about in this episode.

@TOPHATANT123 Debate is healthy and can be done in a respectful manner. They were saying how practicing debate through console wars is good in order to help articulate thoughts into words before getting into real-life issues like politics.

Honestly, no one gets hurt from console wars. Plenty of people are being hurt or killed on the issue of guns, racism, and war because they don't talk before acting.

Yeah, that conversation went down a path I had expected at all with that argument. I hadn't really thought of it that way.

Hmm this ep is a bit weird, probably because of Damiani trolling, but the pacing felt off. It felt short, but it was almost an hour and a half.

Anyway, it would have been nice if Bosman put in the nominees for the Game Awards for better context. Would have made it obvious that said Nintendo game is not even on E3 critic's radar. They have so many weird rules though.

About the CS:GO stuff. Super shady. Valve doesn't care about it. They actually benefit greatly from the gambling scheme because the more times an item transfers hands, they more money they get because they take a cut.

I despise a lot of games, I couldn't even remember all the games I despise without having to think hard.

Console wars is great. Heck, I was in the console wars before Sega was around. I was a PC Engine fanboy against Nintendo.
    I think the fans directly impact the performance of the console companies. If they don't give us what we want, or give us something we don't care about, they are deaf to their fans. Sony didn't win E3 because their execs wanted some time with celebrities, they won because they listened to their fans about what they want to see.

Damiani wasn't really trolling, but he didn't really seem interested in partaking in the podcast. Which is a bit of a shame, because he does podcasts very well. Problem is, he's not always prepared for a podcast, but when he is, he sounds like an educated gamer.

I mean, the only time he was trolling was when Bosman was polling for "despised" games. (I couldn't hear what he said, though. Someone tell me what despised games are from everyone in the podcast?)

Journalists (ahem, critics) should equally be excited for games as we are. If you're not a gamer, then what's the point of you being a journalist? I watch the podcast, and I hear the panel saying that most of the announcements at E3 "don't matter" to journalists/critics/editors, but that's wrong. Because you're not able to communicate back to your readers or viewers about what the reception of a new game or new title in the franchise is like over there at E3.

Case in point: The whole point of the critics awards discussion is to bring forth patterns in journalists' reaction to BIG games. For example: Fallout 3/4 reveals for a lot people would have been a resounding "yup." But it sounds like journalists don't care about Fallout franchise as everyone else. I'm not interested in Fallout, but the general public is; it even became the best selling video game of 2015 after Call of Duty.

I would like to see Console Wars come back, too. It really was a good thing for the industry, everyone benefits from it. Same is true for 3rd party developers. This would have increased discussions on Twitter, facebook, google+, and whatever avenues there is. Forums would have thrived, as a result, too.

Why companies aren't taking the "My console is better than yours" stance these days, I don't know. But competition is good for everyone. It resulted in better commercials, convincing commercials, killer apps, quality games, more diverse IP's, new IP's, and so on and on and on. The possibilities are endless. Nintendo vs SEGA will just go down in history as the best Console War of all time.

And I agree, Sony winning E3 is because Sony listened to their fans. I agree that fans impact the performance of the console companies. That includes 3rd party companies.