Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread

• So, another great podcast! :) I was visiting my family over the weekend, and I saw it when I got the chance. I watched it and I wanted to respond, but I couldn't. I will do that now.

RE: Nintendo being credited in being "responsible" for Pokemon Go; Well, they own some stake in "The Pokemon Company." That's one part, but here's something to consider (and for reference, here's the link), The Pokemon Company is a consortium of Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures.

Definition for the word "Consortium" are as follows...

• a combination of financial institutions, capitalists, etc., for carrying into effect some financial operation requiring large resources of capital.
    • any association, partnership, or union.
    • Law. the legal right of partners in a marriage to companionship and conjugal intercourse with each other

So, in other words, a sort of merge of sorts, except it's not. Few examples I can think off the bat: Hulu is a consortium of of Disney–ABC Television Group (The Walt Disney Company), Fox Broadcasting Company (21st Century Fox), and NBCUniversal Television Group (Comcast). Activision Blizzard is a consortium of both Activision and Blizzard. Bandai Namco is a consortium of Bandai and Namco. Sega Sammy is a consortium of SEGA and Sammy.

Nintendo is getting the credit for the app because Nintendo is the big company of the three, is the one with a war chest bigger than either GameFreaks or Creatures, or even Niantic. Investors look at this as a good thing for Nintendo because they 'get it' (like Brandon Jones said) in the sense that they let it happen. They didn't interfere, or anything. They didn't even market this thing, they just let the fans speak for them. And it's exploding like crazy. You can't miss it. It's on TV, it's on Newspapers, it's on magazines, its on news sites, it's on blogs, it's on forums, it's ...it's everywhere! Investors look at that, the first thing that should come out of their mouth is "holy. fucking. shit!" Investors get it, that it makes money; it made 14 million dollars in a week.

RE: How long will this "hot potato" last?

Loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnng. LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG.

This is an APP. It can be updated frequently, or infrequently, however they want this to go. Pokemon alone, on it's own has THOUSANDS of Pokemons. THOUSANDS. Not hundreds. THOUSANDS. If you have a catalogue of characters or monsters that big, ANYTHING can happen. This whole thing just opens opportunities for Niantic to keep people engaged. You want to retain your userbase for as long as you want if you want to make money.

RE: Nintendo going mobile?

I don't like the idea. They don't have anything that's inherently - expansive. Pokemon is Nintendo's peak. It will just drop, and drop and drop until people forgets the whole thing. Nintendo is chasing a fad. Get over it. It's going to be a fad. Stick with what you know, Nintendo. Goddamnit. Just, stop fucking up, and get on with your shit. Release NX, and maintain that with good, good, and I mean GOOD games. And relax your publishing "rules," so you become inviting to fans, consumers, casuals, and DEVELOPERS. PUBLISHERS. You know the people that make GAMES for you? The people that pay you MONEY? Yeah, that.

If you can't do any of that... Then for the love of god. GO. THIRD. FREAKIN' PARTY. DAMNIT.

They don't really have anything on the horizon that will spark this kind of media storm other than Animal Crossing. Their competition, like the panel brought up: FarmVille.

RE: Sponsored Videos.

Hey, FTC! Yeah, I'm talking to you: Warner Bros. isn't the only company doing this. You're chasing the wrong horse.

And no, this isn't an isolated incident. In fact, this is going on more frequently than you think. What I think contributed to Warner Bros. getting a slap on the hand for this is because some troll went up to someone high up in the chain that has the power to make decision to do this.

(This same troll wanted more money from Warner Bros. This is probably a revenge on the part of the troll.)

I thought that Mordor was well-received? What's this shit anyway? I don't know why FTC is going after Warner Bros. for this...? Honestly, it's not really a big deal.

Activision recently did this to Tmartn...

Youtube Video

EA recently did this at EA Play, but are being coy about it. Like, who cares?

I just think this is a ridiculous situation.

• Wow almost all of the Rise of the Tomb Raider wishes are actually in the PS4 version:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/07/lara_crofts_tomb_raider_rises_on_ps4_with_new_story_modes_and_playstation_vr

• @TheHashtag0nist @Sentinel-Beach Yeah they needed to justify that full price. This is the smartest way to do it because new gameplay is what draws people in.

But it is actually a Sony rule (or Microsoft's if the situation is the other way around) that a game must have new content that makes it different from the release version if it is a timed exclusive. Castle Crashers was MS timed exclusive and came out on PlayStation with new modes and stuff.

One more thing, I wonder if the Xbox version will have this new stuff.

Edit: looks like they will

• Got my question in nice and early yesterday, cheers for posting it so much further in advance, Kyle!

• Dat drawing tho

alt text

• @Krauser Hah, the build up for that reveal. "Seems like he's written a lot." Don's a delight!

Argh, Huber bashing mono Beatles... I'm not a crazy Beatles fan but presuming that the remastered mixes are better because stereo is better than mono is a little ignorant. Like I said, I'm not a die hard fan, but easily noticed that some of the stereo mixes are dreadful and completely butchered. Great analogy by Blood though.

• Don is a 4.5 star artist

Great episode, fun game with the Nes. And dat don rule

This felt like an old episode of GT time having both Bloodworth and Huber. I definitely miss Bloodworth not being a permanent chair

• Hopefuly Don will be able to get Green lizards back into the game. This domination By Kyle and Jones is ridiculous.

• @matt the mono mixes make their music listenable on headphones.

• I'm surprised there was a pause in the discussion for NES Classic Edition for Ninja Gaiden. First thing out my mouth was "What?" I'm rubbing my face in disbelief in you guys.

Here's a challenge for you, Brandon: Get Ninja Gaiden for NES on the original NES, finish the game from start to finish - I dare you.

As a matter of fact, I fucking challenge you to finish Ninja Gaiden II for NES.

I never beat either games, but they're really good games. I am in total agreement with Huber when he says "HOLDS UP!"

The Ninja Gaiden games for NES was stripped down from the Arcade versions, but that was a miracle mistake. Seriously. This is one of those times where I applaud a company for downgrading the game to fit a console version. Ninja Gaiden is that game.

• I was not prepared for Kyle feeling himself.

• Magnum Opus: Eternal Rebirth or Total Extinction?

This sounds like a JRPG series and a pretty awesome one at that.

• Honestly, that game was confusing as hell. Even the allies were confused at those verbose wordings for something that should be simple to understand.

As for Kyle feeling himself, I'm feeling myself as well. I was so right about Nintendo having nothing to do with Pokemon GO.

• "I can stomach Chrono Trigger" -Michael Damiani

• @Dario In regards to Toriyama's art.

Honestly, I can barely see the DBZ artstyle when playing Chrono Trigger since it's pixel art.

• @Whoaness I know, but it was a fun moment and Brandon worded it that way xD
    I can still see Toriyama's art style in the game though, especially with big enemies and bosses. Not to mention the ports' FMVs.

• @Dario If someone told me Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana had the same artist, I'd believe them. They're not though. It looks the same because it's so pixelated.

The only way you can tell is Chrono Trigger's box cover.

• "Kyle feels himself" was one of the best EZA moments so far. Oh dear lord, did he feel himself or what. :) And together with Brad's reactions this was gold.

Really nice conversations about the NX rumors, and the F/Marry/Kill game was fun to watch. I think it's great that there are these kind of bits in L&R every now and then. Brad's closing words were also superb.

A question to Kyle, though, if he reads this thread. It's about the rotating panel members. Since the podcast #15 a pattern has emerged with the guests, they don't feel sort of random anymore as they did before that. They've been:
    #15: Huber / Blood
    #16: Brad / Damiani
    #17: Ben / Ian
    #18: Huber / Blood
    #19: Brad / Damiani
    --> #20: Ben / Ian?

I really like them all, it's just that things can soon start to feel a bit stagnant, I guess, with these pairings. Mix them up a bit again, if you could. L&R

Oh, and thank you for the last couple of Fridays for being right on time with the free podcasts. Or even a little early, yes! Thanks!

• @Dario said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

"I can stomach Chrono Trigger" -Michael Damiani

Why Damiani? Why? Chrono Trigger is an AWESOME game. AWESOME.

@Whoaness said in Easy Allies Podcast - Official Discussion Thread:

@Dario If someone told me Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana had the same artist, I'd believe them. They're not though. It looks the same because it's so pixelated.

The only way you can tell is Chrono Trigger's box cover.

alt text

Just a reminder to folks, and btw, some scene(s) in the game(s) show the protagonist's face.

However, the art style of both CT and SoM were similar, but tried to stay different. One is dark and the other is light. As if they're polar opposites. That's how I see it.