Enter The Negative Zone.

• @eschatological come to Canada friend, Youtube Video

• @Nillend said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

People who dismiss videogames as stupid and not respecting people that love them

This with anime. It's just another entertainment medium. It's not all harems, moeblobs, and shounen.
    @Tommynaut21 said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

-How a majority of developers nowadays are prioritizing story over new game mechanics

@Mortambulist said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

• The general lack of innovation in game design.

I've noticed this since the Wii days, people clamoring for innovation. You know what? I don't care about innovation! There, I said it. Give me a comfy new Dragon Quest with the same series established mechanics I've come to love any day. Not everything needs to be innovated. Sometimes innovation is a very detrimental and terrible thing. Look at how the Paper Mario series is being "innovated" right now. Nobody cares about new paper mechanics. That's not why we love that series. Everything people do love is being stripped out for the sake of "distinguishing it" from the Mario & Luigi series when they were already different enough.

It's not just that one series either, there's tons of series the creators don't want to revisit because "We can't think of anything new to bring to it." Okay, but what about your fans who just want more of the same? Change is scary. Sometimes, like with the new Zelda, it can be good and overdue. This isn't usually the case today though. Things are getting over-innovated, and just because they could, people don't stop to think if they should. You don't always have to reinvent the formula. Just deliver up a solid game, a new entry into the series you know people enjoy. If you can think of new things to introduce to it, sure toss that in and see how it does. If you can't, then don't stress about it and just give us another entry in something we enjoy and love.

@Inustar said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

People who hate a game for no other reason then it being popular to do so.

I hate the opposite, when contrarians try to defend an obviously bad game with a loose argument of "I enjoyed it." or "It wasn't THAT bad." Happens with movies and games, and these people are literally rewarding developers for making bad games by buying them anyways. At least wait for them to go on sale if you think there's really something there despite what everyone else is saying. Also, just because you got burned on a game purchase doesn't mean you have to pretend to have enjoyed it to save face. Don't burn your friends by promoting bad games to try and look less dumb.
    @ChaoticMeltdown said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

Censorship HANG ON HEAR ME OUT!

I'm sick and tired of all the people jumping on the censorship bandwagon saying things like "I won't buy it because it's censored" and "Thanks for ruining a game with your censorship garbage".

Should censorship influence your enjoyment? HECK NO! I'd much rather play an altered game than not play it at all. Honestly I didn't even think Tokyo Mirage would come to the west because it's so heavily steeped in Japanese traditions. So having a chance to play that game has me excited as there are many games like it that will never even see the light of day in the west. Sure XSeed is doing a good job bringing us games to the west that most people wouldn't think we'd ever get but my point is that altering a wedding dress (no matter how dumb the reasoning) is hardly a reason to shun a game. And then going out of your way, rallying more people to not buy it because of those reasons is just mind numbing to me. The less people buy a product the more a company sees that these game's aren't worth bringing to the west. I'm not saying people should just buy games in hopes for more games, I'm saying people should honestly ask themselves if those alterations are worth passing on a game over.

It seems that people are just getting angry for the sake of being angry. As long as the core mechanic isn't changed then I don't see a problem with altering something. Again, sure it sucks but at least we are getting the opportunity to play the games.

People vote with their wallet. Censorship might not completely ruin a game for you or even the people complaining about it, but it doesn't change the fact that people are tired of being treated like children and getting watered down products because some people who don't even play video games are making a huff about this and that in video games. Some things are obviously stupid to complain about, but some things like the example you mentioned were stupid to censor in the first place. Should that affect whether you purchase the product or not? YES! Everything should.

You've talked about being grateful we're even getting some games brought over, and trust me people are. That doesn't mean they can't also be disappointed at the sometimes unnecessary changes made to "not cause a fuss" or more often to just secure a rating that will ensure more sales. Saying the less people who buy a product, the more companies see games aren't worth bringing to the west is missing the point, and to cater to that mentality is detrimental. The point of people making a fuss about censorship specifically is to show those companies that people do in fact care about their games, but they want them as they were originally constructed, the way the developers intended, not watered down or stripped of features to appease people who weren't going to buy the game anyways.

Think of it like cash shop in competitive games. Vanity items only isn't AS harmful as pay to win stuff. Costume censoring isn't AS harmful as stripped dialogue, features, changed story, etc. It might even be necessary from a business standpoint, however every gamer still has a right to vocalize against these things. Some people would rather know everyone with a certain skin earned that skin. Some people would rather know in the game they're playing the character's costume is exactly what they're meant to be wearing, something the developer spent time and thought creating often for specific purpose, be it themes, personality, narrative reasons, reference, etc.

Love and Respect as always, just sharing my two cents for the sake of understanding.

• Troy Baker. His voice makes me cringe so hard also his "I'm way cool" attitude really rubs me the wrong way.

• @Mango Thank you! It means a lot. : )

• @Nillend Accepts : )

• @SabotageTheTruth I haven't played any of the iterations after DS II, but to me the combat in the first two is stiff, and I would go as far as to say the movement/fighting is janky at times. I respect the parts that are difficult because they are simply difficult, but not when I die because of jank. And also I think the stiffness of the fighting is on purpose, but I'm not a big fan of the stiffness. That said, I do like the series so I don't want to be too hard on it.

• How so many people are trying to make a "full" experience out of what was presented in P.T, IE just walking down corridors. Although it is a bit better then all the FNAF clones

• Sequals.

Even though I love many sequals like the Uncharted series and the Metal Gear Series, I hope there will be more "The Last of Us"'s running around. Thankfully Kojima is making something fresh and I hope Naughty Dog make something new yet again instead of The Last of Us 2. Please developers make more new IPs.

• @Mbun said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

@Inustar said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

People who hate a game for no other reason then it being popular to do so.

I hate the opposite, when contrarians try to defend an obviously bad game with a loose argument of "I enjoyed it." or "It wasn't THAT bad." Happens with movies and games, and these people are literally rewarding developers for making bad games by buying them anyways. At least wait for them to go on sale if you think there's really something there despite what everyone else is saying. Also, just because you got burned on a game purchase doesn't mean you have to pretend to have enjoyed it to save face. Don't burn your friends by promoting bad games to try and look less dumb.

I think we're having two different negative arguments. I agree with yours mostly, though if I enjoyed a game I don't think it's bad. That's a matter of opinion.

My point was specifically aimed at people, some I know and deal with often in my life, who hate a game because the internet says it's bad. Or they have a friend they look up to who says it's bad, so they do too. This came up recently with CoD. These people gave no real reasons why this game, that's not even out, was going to be bad.

• @sam776 yeah early twenties was a weird time for me too. I was transitioning from college times to young professional. So went from spending time with friends it took years to develop to an area where I knew no one. It felt harder the second time around. Not being at the same life stage as others meant I had less common ground with those around me. It was depressing. But it forced me to be comfortable and happy with myself.

It takes time getting used to and there's no use in faking it. Once I figured that out, everything else just fell into place. Making friends and girlfriends was easier because I was less desperate and happier to be around. Just keep doing you and learn to love life for what it is and you'll be fine.

• @ChaoticMeltdown said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

Troy Baker. His voice makes me cringe so hard also his "I'm way cool" attitude really rubs me the wrong way.

I personally like his voice.
    But, I will say I am annoyed with these games using the same handful of voice actors over and over again. It's getting to the point that I get taken out of something because I just go "Hey its Troy and Nolan". There has to be a wide ocean of talent available. I want to hear more variety.
    It does not need to be Troy Baker in everything. Especially now he's doing Batman, after doing Joker. It's a little silly, even if they are different game series.

• @Inustar Yeah I wish he wasn't in everything and that new voice actors get a chance. Also I didn't know that he is now doing Batman as well, I mean sure he was voicing him in the Lego Batman movies but now the games too? I preferred Roger Craig Smith as Batman, he has that gruff voice that fit just right.

• @Inustar said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

I think we're having two different negative arguments. I agree with yours mostly, though if I enjoyed a game I don't think it's bad. That's a matter of opinion.

My point was specifically aimed at people, some I know and deal with often in my life, who hate a game because the internet says it's bad. Or they have a friend they look up to who says it's bad, so they do too. This came up recently with CoD. These people gave no real reasons why this game, that's not even out, was going to be bad.

Nah, I get what you're saying. Was just tacking onto it that I dislike when the opposite happens and an obviously bad game comes out that people feel the need to defend even when it doesn't deserve to be defended either due to them having preordered it and got stuck with a bad game or just the contrarian attitude of going against everyone else to stand out.

I agree with you on disliking seeing games people are excited about needlessly hated on as well. Seeing it lots lately with Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild now that everyone is talking about it. Funnily enough, I was hating on it before what we saw at E3, but Nintendo definitely won me over hard with what they showed. The game definitely looked worse before, yet there's only an outcry of hate against it now that people are actually stoked for it. So many people were posting ResidentSleepers in the Twitch chat during the Tuesday stream when EZA brought it up, and I've never seen people do that even with other trailers that start out slow.

• Souls fans saying that I just don't get the game. No, I understand the game that doesn't mean I have to like it.

• People on other sites who have only watched the anime for something jumping in on threads about the manga and getting mad about spoilers cause the anime is 20 years behind. Can't talk about Diamond Is Unbreakable anywhere until the anime finishes so nobody gets upset it seems

• People who say the mobile port of dragon quest 8 is "perfectly playable"

• Whenever someone compliments the writing in a David Cage game.

• People who write off "Cutesy" games like Ni No Kuni, Kirby or Pokemon

• Bloodborne not being on pc. I will randomly think about how good it would look and play compared to ps4.

• Gran Turismo hasn't been truly great since GT3 and that's really sad imo. I saw GT Sports announcement and trailer and thought to myself "Wow.... PD truly have no idea how to improve this series anymore, maybe they should just make GT3 remastered and call it quits"

• The only modern port of Secret of Mana being on mobile, where virtual controls make it nigh unplayable...

• I really, really hate the recent-ish trend of rebooting franchises under the original name with no subtitle or anything. I feel like recent games such as Tomb Raider, Doom, and Thief draw attention away from their namesakes, which deserve to be remembered and have those names refer to them only. Also, it's really annoying to always have to clarify which game I'm talking about and it makes it really hard to search the internet for them.

• @ChaoticMeltdown said in Enter The Negative Zone.:

Troy Baker. His voice makes me cringe so hard also his "I'm way cool" attitude really rubs me the wrong way.

Love him as a VA, but he does need to take a backseat for awhile. He's the Steve Blum/JYB of the last couple of years.

Only reason I dislike him right now is because he's somehow managed to drag Laura Bailey to seemingly everything he's in, when she wasn't originally cast, and I'm more sick of hearing her >.>

• @ZyloWolfBane
    He, Laura Bailey, and Travis Willingheim (or however you spell his name) are all friends, infact Laura and Travis are married to one another.