Nintendo learnt nothing - Overview of the announcement

• So there hasn't been a thread to discuss Nintendo's latest blunder. But the more I think about it the more shocked I am, what were they thinking? Did they learn nothing in the last 4 years? Did they consider their previous strategy to be a success?

Lets start with what they announced:

• Nintendo Switch is a $300 console that is 720p and 1080p when docked, with 32GB of space
    • Graphics basically slightly better than the WII U? Zelda runs at 900p when docked. A WII U game cannot run at 1080p on this.
    • Online is now paid BUT here is the catch, YOU CANNOT voice chat from the console. Instead you must download an app to voice chat with your friends from you smartphone oh and this WONT be available till
    • You get a free RENTAL of ONE NES/SNES game a month with added online play per month. So you only have access to the game for that month.
    • Paid online will only be available in USA, Canada and Mexico at launch. Thats right voice chat will not be there at launch (FALL 2017) for other countries.
    • OH and these online features Voice Chat, Party Chat, will not be available at launch (March 03). ON launch you will only be able to play online
    • Exorbitant prices for their accessories: JoyCon Set - $80, Pro Controller - $70, Dock - $90, Single JoyCon - $50

Launch Lineup:

• Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions) $59.99/$99.99/$129.99
    • 1, 2, Switch $49.99 (Really?)
    • I Am Setsuna
    • Has Been Heroes
    • Just Dance 2017
    • Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! $19.99
    • Super Bomberman R

Thats right at launch there is going to be ONE AAA game (although it is Zelda, but its also on WII U and its almost exactly the same). And their other big game? 1, 2 Switch a FIFTY DOLLAR collection of minigames worse than Nintendoland. Games where you can count balls, and pretend to milk a cow or eat a sandwich...

3rd party support seems even worse than the WiiU right now, especially western support.

And after that its also pretty barren: (copied from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333390)

North American Switch Lineup according to Nintendo: http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide?pv=true#filter/switch
    April 28, 2017
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $59.99

Spring 2017
    Arms $59.99
    Lego City Undercover
    Sonic Mania

Summer 2017
    Splatoon 2

Fall 2017
    Skyrim
    NBA 2k18 (September)

Holiday 2017
    Super Mario Odyssey

Project Sonic 2017

TBD
    Arcade Archives
    FIFA
    Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (This costs $40 by that way lol)
    Disgaea 5 Complete
    Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2
    Farming Simulator
    Fast RMX (that F-zero lookalike from the sizzle)
    Fire Emblem Warriors
    Minecraft Story Mode The complete adventure
    Minecraft
    Puyopuyo Tetris
    Rayman Legends Definitive edition
    Rime
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Skylanders Imaginators
    Siberia 3
    Steep

Nothing about the system interface, online was even talked about in the presentation. Even the WIIU ports are not making launch. Apparently switch was delayed from 2016 to now so it can have a good games line up. Not they have 1 games instead of 0. How is 1,2 Switch not a free packin game?

Do they think people want to sit around and pretend to milk a cow?

And worst of all their online is still not figured out. YOU NEED A SMARTPHONE APP to do anything, and even from their other videos it looks like you'll be using your phone to do a lot of functionality (like that parental controls video), although i hope that is not the case. And on top of that they have the want to charge for online now? Come on. Why would i just not use discord...

Why is everything priced so high? Do they think they are Apple? Why is 1,2 switch $50 dollars? Why is a dock (which only has usb ports and hdmi pass through) $90.

But worst of all from the presentation its clear they learned nothing. Same old song and dance from the WII U launch.

Share your thoughts, I wanted to gather all the info in one place but it ended up being a rant lol.

• I generally agree, but I honestly don't care enough about Nintendo to stress about it. I'm probably not getting a Switch any time soon.

If their goal was to sell me a console, they failed to do so. I do think a couple of the games looked cool though.

• I'm generally trying to be less negative in my life these days. I don't enjoy shitting on things when I can just ignore it if it doesn't appeal to me. I do have to say that I'm not too thrilled about the Switch though. And the reason that I'm even talking about it at all is because... there's actually a lot of things about it that get me excited.

I think the biggest problem I have with the Switch is that everything about it seems to be rushed or underdeveloped. It's like they made the console in a few months and didn't give any developers a heads up. It doesn't seem ready to launch by March at all. There's less than ten launch titles. A simple port like Skyrim won't be ready until the end of the year. A big publisher like EA is giving Nintendo... Fifa? They're charging for online now but that won't begin until the end of the year as well? That doesn't sound like a free trial. It sounds like their entire online system just isn't ready to go yet. Nothing about the Switch instills any confidence in me.

Hope it turns out great and I may still pick one up down the line. But I just don't see the value in what they've announced so far. Especially when Zelda is also available on the Wii U and that's THE game for the first six months of the Switch.

• personally I think the launch line up isn't that bad, compare it to the playstation 4(Angry Birds Star Wars, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Blacklight: Retribution, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Contrast, DC Universe Online, FIFA 14, Flower, Injustice: Gods, Among Us - Ultimate Edition, Just Dance 2014, Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Madden NFL 25, NBA 2K14, Need for Speed Rivals, Resogun, Skylanders: Swap Force, Sound Shapes, Super Motherload, The Playroom, Trine 2: Complete Story, Warframe) and xbox one(Angry Birds Star Wars, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, FIFA 14, Fighter Within, Forza Motorsport 5, Just Dance 2014, Killer Instinct, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, LocoCycle, Madden NFL 25, NBA 2K14, NBA Live 14, Need for Speed Rivals, Powerstar Golf, Ryse: Son of Rome, Skylanders: Swap Force, Zoo Tycoon, Zumba Fitness: World Party) and those weren't great line ups either and both didn't have anything like Zelda Breath of the Wild in them.
    the reality is that with modern triple A game development times it is very hard to have the kind of line up like in the past. Whether we like it or not in the past even triple A games took only 6 months to a year to be made and that hasn't been the case for years, xbox 360 and ps3 also didn't have amazing line ups it is a reality of modern game industry. also 60$ for a controller is just as expensive or even cheaper then the xbox one controllers only sony seems to still sell controllers at 60$ and the online charging is something that I hate and there is no argument for it in my mind but you could have expected it after sony went pay for online,(anyone who argues for it based on online functionality, sales, "free games" you pay for them so no they aren't free. you get all these things on steam and gog and other pc services without paying anything and they still have much better servers with better download speeds and you already pay for internet to your ISP so the online part isn't even a service) sorry had to get that of my chest

• Yeah, it's even worse in europe, the console will be 330€ which is around $350, normally they would just take the US price and put a € behind it, which is still more expensive than the US price (300€ are ca, $320), but this increase is simply unreasonable for what you are getting, wtf?

• @psy9o said in Nintendo learnt nothing - Overview of the announcement:

didn't have anything like Zelda Breath of the Wild

Is BOTW a known quantity already? Or is this just assuming it's going to be great because it is Nintendo?

• @Musou-Tensei said in Nintendo learnt nothing - Overview of the announcement:

Yeah, it's even worse in europe, the console will be 330€ which is around $350, normally they would just take the US price and put a € behind it, which is still more expensive than the US price (300€ are ca, $320), but this increase is simply unreasonable for what you are getting, wtf?

Yeah, no way I'm getting almost 400E machine (including Zelda's price) here to mainly just play Zelda and then have to worry if it becomes another Wii U. Maybe I would pay 250E for the console if there was some kind of light showing in the end of the tunnel games wise but judging from that conference I'm not seeing any.

• I definitely have very mixed opinions on the Switch right now... That Mario game looks like great, fun game and Zelda might very well be GOTY contender IF (emphasis on if) it is up to snuff. But other than that, there isn't much to it for now. Yes, I can take my switch and play it wherever (for 5-6 hours) but so far, but I'm not going to make the switch this year. Maybe next year IF there are good games AND the system is still viable at that time. That said, I'm looking forward what they are going to bring up at E3.

• It's funny to me to see gamers be so thirsty for games release as if they really need more games.

"Man, my backlog is totally empty and i have played/beaten every single game i own or wanted to play! If only this company could release more games! I have nothing to play right now!" Said no gamer, ever.

Just chill out and enjoy what is out there people.

• @Stephleref Tell me honestly, was I like that on GT when I was a fanboy?

• Maybe Wii (ha, get it) did not learn anything. Did anyone overhype the Switch presentation? I did! And at the end of the night I realized, when things were good they were great. When it was bad, it was awkward (like Milk). 1,2 switch reminds me of Wii Sports. Concept mini games that can show what those joycons are capable of. They are party games at best.

No one is forcing you to buy them. To take a page out of Ian, this thing is what it is. Don't like it, don't buy it. And I know it is frustrating because we know Nintendo can be awesome. For me, past this lineup the Switch is going to be an interesting console. I have stuff to play on it like Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Sonic Mania. I'm not getting this thing at launch but will hopefully later this year. Even if this presentation was "Hey here is all the Wii U games we're portingLet's not act like good things did not happen over" I would have been excited for that because I skipped the Wii U cycle.

Let's not act like good things did not happen.

• @Stephleref I would hope my backlog was burdened by many Wii U games.

There has to be bigger justification for buying a system than just a great game or two and vague promises for the future that honesty seems to be repeating it self.

• Or maybe they're just learning from Sony and leveraging all of their marketing to beat them at their own E3 game and going into the holidays.

You all do realize that what they've shown so far is far from Nintendo's full production capacity, right?

• @SCfrenzy7 Works both ways though, it's also not fair to act like bad things did not happen. I haven't seen anything too hyperbolic on here - just people expressing some frustration at Nintendo being Nintendo. More power to you if you're excited but this console is bound to be divisive. It was mentioned in another thread but Ben Moore's comment, "The Switch is not competing in a vacuum," speaks absolute volumes. The excuse that Nintendo just does things differently doesn't work when they've had several generations to learn from mistakes, instead they choose to blissfully ignore them. Will Mario and Zelda be good games? The smart money is on yes. Will anything else on the console be of considerable quality? That's a question no one can answer and that's where the worry and frustration come in.

• Maybe if they put all their software resources to Switch after Wii U started to flop. If not then this is exactly what their production capacity has been for years.

• @Stephleref said in Nintendo learnt nothing - Overview of the announcement:

It's funny to me to see gamers be so thirsty for games release as if they really need more games.

"Man, my backlog is totally empty and i have played/beaten every single game i own or wanted to play! If only this company could release more games! I have nothing to play right now!" Said no gamer, ever.

Just chill out and enjoy what is out there people.

but I AM enjoying what's out there, it's not a problem for me, it's a problem for Nintendo, there are literally more must have games coming out in one day in january for PS4 than Switch for 2017 for me.

I think they HAVE listened in some ways, region free is a good step but it's only just bringing them up to par in some areas

I want nintendo to do well, I want everyone to do well, I want a thriving industry where everyone can succeed. I just dont understand what Nintendo is doing. Wii had little first party software in its later years, so you'd assume they were saving stuff for Wii U, then Wii U still had very little so maybe you'd hope the held stuff back for Switch and still so little.

I want a new Advance Wars with online play, maybe add a little Pokemon GO to it, you have to go places irl and jump up and down there to claim the location, it'd be funny

I want a new Camelot RPG, if they'd announced Golden Sun switch or something that'd be amazing but no, Nintendo will just have them make some filler tennis game or some nonsense

There's so much Nintendo could be doing and I dont know why they're doing so little and the fact that other companies are doing so much more doesnt really help nintendo

• @Sieghardt said in Nintendo learnt nothing - Overview of the announcement:

I want a new Camelot RPG, if they'd announced Golden Sun switch or something that'd be amazing but no, Nintendo will just have them make some filler tennis game or some nonsense

Yeah that will be probably the case.

• @SabotageTheTruth Ok, I agree with that last statement. I hope its good. No one can know for sure and I get that is where the frustrations comes in. Now I am reminded when Kyle would impersonate Nintendo with an Elephant. "Nope, nope. I do what I want".

• Here's the thing: I think most people here want Nintendo to do well, and succeed. I don't think that anyone here wants Nintendo to fail, and drop out of the console market. Because when Nintendo makes some of their best games, they are DEFINITELY some of the best games ever made. If you look at the list of best platformers, it has plenty of Mario titles (And few Donkey Kong titles) for a very good reason. If you look at the list of best adventure games, Zelda franchise holds many spots on that list. Some of those games hold up in most of best games of all time lists (Just as a example, Ocarina of Time was the EZA community game of all time)

Yes, Nintendo could end up just making games for other platforms, but then again, Nintendo is pretty much last innovator in console market, and taking perhaps unnecessary risks for making progress in the industry. If they stop making consoles, it might be that we will not see as much innovation in gaming outside some Kickstarters, which are sketchy at best usually. Yes, Innovation might not be the smart way to go, but some of those might pay off. Because that is something that most people might not realize. We think we know exactly what we want, but if someone brings us something completely new we didn't even think of before, might just be the thing we actually needed or wanted in the end, we just didn't know that before we got it.

Seeing Nintendo to drop the ball so much, and making nonsensical decisions, hurts us, and that's why we're complaining. Not because any of us HATE Nintendo (I think anyway), but because we CARE. Hopefully things will go well for Nintendo, and we'll see a lot of good things coming in the following months. But as of now, things don't look that promising.

• If the Switch came with a pro controller, I might jump on this, but $300, plus another $70 for the controller I'd actually want to use for something like Zelda is crazy.