switch question

• does the switch being a hybrid system or portable and home console leave nintendo open for lets say 2019 release a next gen dedicated home console?

• No. They're treating it like a home console, and even if it fails to take off like the Wii U we will have at least four years with it, excusing a possible iteration like the New Nintendo Switch that still plays the same games as the one we know about now. There's a higher chance of them releasing a DS/3DS successor next than a new home console next.

• if they advertise it the opposite way though i think it'll sell better and be better recieved

• I think you underestimate Nvidia, in 2020 they will announce the next switch update is coming in maybe 2021, and I believe it will look exactly the same, it will work with all the old joycons(just like how wiiU could use wii remotes) it also works with the old dock, but it will have a 1080p screen, and the new Nvidia chips will be on par with ps4pro. All old switch games will work, and only new games that need the new power will hit on it.

Basically it will be like ipad's, where you can play your old games, but the new hardware is needed for new games, like 3ds and new 3ds where you need the new one for smash brothers and Xenoblade. Since it's all on the same hardware it could be 100% possible, if they were smart and planed ahead that like PC the games you had before will be upscale on the new system to 1440p 60fps docked, and 1080 in portable which would not be hard to do since the switch can do 1080 already on tv. How cool would that be to pop in breath of the wild and it's already optimized for more power.

I was watching something online where the WiiU emulator can pull high resolution textures in Xenoblade, so it shows the textures are dormant in that game. It would not be hard to plan ahead, bumb the specs like on pc to high.

• @Drifter so more or less nintendos gonna be the next apple? we may even get nintendo brand phones

• This being it is the best part of the switch. They should hammer home the message that you get a home console AND handheld combo when they're selling it. That's the pitch you use for this console.

"Hey, do you want to play cool games like Fire Emblem and Pokémon, but you don't want to play on a tiny screen that makes it look like a game for the PS1? Make the switch! Play it like a real console, and then take it on the go like a handheld. Don't ever stop playing, walk into traffic, and go to gamer heaven!"

• @Drifter Minor Correction: You in no way need a N3DS for Smash Brothers. N3DS doesn't fix what's wrong with Smash Bros. on handheld, and the game can play on old 3DS pretty much the same without framerate dips. Pokemon Sun/Moon and Hyrule Warriors are a mess on old 3DS, because even though the system lets you boot those games, they weren't designed to run on it and suffer hugely. Monster Hunter on old 3DS is difficult, because the extra nub the N3DS has is pretty crucial for camera control in that game. As for games that won't boot at all on old 3DS, you mentioned Xenoblade Chronicles, but more importantly than that the entire SNES Virtual Console is unavailable. Most of the other stuff that won't even boot is pretty small and unimportant right now, but if Nintendo decides to keep cranking stuff out for the handheld we might actually see the list grow.

• @Mbun Ah sorry, I do not own a 3ds was just talking out of a minor understanding. end corrections music

• @FF7Cloud Yeah I guess a bit like apple, but we can only hope they would have a steam library of sorts(the dream). Nintendo going paid online sounds like this might finally happen.

If Nintendo makes a phone with controller capability, and their own walled garden to keep out micro transaction trash mobile games, It may work who knows. it might even have 3D Rumble. :D

• @Drifter I think they'll try to make the next "upgrade' from the switch an upgrade to 1440p or 2160p. That depends on a lot of battery and display technology. They'll still be the standard generation behind.

• @Stormcrownn I hope so, I still believe it will be VR capable and maybe that will be shown at e3. Which would make the new higher resolution screen a huge bonus, also if it can slot into your current vr headset you already own from the switch - even better.

I don't think a generation behind is a bad thing anymore, when it's portable. Since Ps4 and Xbone are shooting for 4k, I don't see any value in 4k. All I want is 1080p 60fps. Would rather the power being used to make the games look beautiful at that resolution. Add in better lighting effects, more content, better draw distance, Crisper textures are way more important to me then going into a larger resolution.

I really feel like sony shot them self in the foot with ps4pro. Worst thing they could have done, now I have to debate when ps5 hits, should I invest now or get screwed later with ps5pro and then all the ps5 games from the e3 that got delayed are finally starting to come out around the same time. lol just realized I am going to be getting a ps5pro and skipping ps5, so maybe it's not all that bad.

• @Drifter Sony's PS4 Pro wouldn't have been that bad, but Microsoft outplayed them. They launched the Xbox One S, a superior console to the PS4 as far as specs are determined. (Yes, only with 4k Video playback, but its still better). Then announcing a real 4k Game Console. It highlighted how much of a lie the PS4 Pro was.

• @Stormcrownn 100% agree. And it sucks, because they can't take it back. When that Scorpio hits, Sony will feel it. The problem with Microsoft is they have no big exclusives hitting. Or I just care less about the exclusives they have. I also like how they are doing the play anywhere campaign and really hope to get the next halo on PC.

• @Stormcrownn I can't really agree, Microsoft matched Sony's announced by hyping their own 'true 4K' console coming in 2017, but we still don't know what actual specifications it will have and how good it will be, at the moment it just looks good on paper.

The other question is how much the average consumers cares about true native 4k as opposed to the Pro's 4K checker-board up-scaling technique, I would bet it would be very little, as long as it 'does 4k' to the average consumer they'll be happy enough.

Also, even though Scorpio could be a hit for Microsoft they're already massively far behind in the console race and don't really have many enticing games coming out this year, and a console is only as good as the games that are on it, with Crackdown 3 being the 'showpiece' of Scorpio (I presume) I just can't see people getting too excited for it.

• @DisturbedSwan I don't why you even compare the Scoprio and the PS4 Pro. They are not remotely within the same realm.

• @Stormcrownn How so?

Scorpio will definitely be more powerful if Microsoft stick to the targeted specs it announced last year at E3, and the Pro 2 teraflops less powerful.

But the Pro will match Scorpio's lauded 4K image quality, it just won't run at a native 4K resolution but an upscaled one, which to the average consumer, won't mean diddly squat I'd argue.

• @DisturbedSwan I'm not sure if you understand how significant of a difference there is between the Pro and the Scorpio. Trusted Reviews comparison here. I'm going to pretty much deviate into hardware and some PC conversation as well. Apologies for being a bit off topic.

The most significant is the GPU & Memory Bandwidth;

Xbox Scorpio: 6 TFLOPS, 320GB/s, unknown amount and type.

PS4 Pro: 4.12 TFLOPS, 8GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s.

The memory bandwidth is huge. 320GB/s matches the Nvidia 1080, which uses GDDR5X. The 1070 has 256GB/s. Just to illustrate what sort of difference this indicates.

I acknowledge that the PS4 Pro was a measurable increase in itself, but games were already struggling pathetically on consoles. Failing to maintain even 30 fps with an insane amount of options disabled. The PS4 had 176 GB/s, which is why games performance measurably better than the Xbox One with 68GB/s.

Xbox One uses something called ESRAM that could increase that bandwidth to 240GB/s, but requires specific optimization to utilize. Optimization isn't the path developers will take when you can just lower the resolution or texture quality.

I grant that things don't all come down to memory bandwidth, but it is certainly the most powerful bandwidth to all GPU technology right now. It's the channel that all of the processing on the graphics card can be utilized by the motherboard. Raw power, not needing utilization like the Xbox One, which means more games will see improvement.

This is why I'm insistent that Scorpio isn't the same thing as the PS4 Pro. Because it's almost literally a generation older than the PS4 Pro. Like if the PS4/Ps4 Pro/Scorpio were the GTX 1060/1070/1080.

• @Stormcrownn I get what your saying and I wholeheartedly agree that if the finished Scorpio matches Microsoft's marketing spec's it'll definitely be more powerful than the Pro. I just don't believe they'll be in different leagues is all, Scorpio will be a step up but it won't be whole worlds apart in my view. One will do upscaled 4K at 30fps, one will do native 4K at 30fps.

I just don't know why consumers are necessarily going to care about having the more powerful console without any enticing games to run on it is all. Will the average consumer actually know or care enough to pay an extra $50-$100 more for a Scorpio over a Pro without any meaningful games to entice them in?

• @DisturbedSwan I'm psyched for Crackdown 3! Though I'll get it on pc and not Xbox

• I doubt it, seems they're going all in with the Switch. Hope they'll actually benefit from having a single game library all on one system. I think they could go on with first party and second party exclusives only.