Settle It or Fun Game Monday: Skyward Sword?

• So since Breath of the Wild is coming out in less than 2 months I was thinking about the latest Zelda, Skyward Sword. Any chance of Kyle playing this game on either a Settle It stream with Damiani or on Fun Game Monday? Since it's a pretty disliked game nowadays (even though everyone loved it at launch) I'm just really curious why Kyle feels the way he does about it and I think many of the Allies are too. One big drawback is that it's a very long game, but maybe he doesn't have to play all of it.

(First time posting on these forums so I'm sorry if I made any mistakes or if this has been talked about before.)

• I think Kyle prefers to play games he's never played before on Fun Game Monday, and for a Settle It it might indeed be too long, especially since the beginning of the game drags on so much, that really wouldn't help its case.

Personally I loved that game and it's pretty much my favorite 3D Zelda. I had trouble getting into it at the beginning, the controls didn't gel with me, but eventually something clicked and I couldn't put the game down for a few weeks. I actually enjoyed the more rigid nature of the world, broken down in areas that felt like traditional levels. And the way these areas are revamped throughout the game to offer brand new challenges the second time around, I know lots of people hated that, I just thought it was very creative!

And Lanayru Desert... wow!

• Global Moderator

Also just want to add as my favourite Zelda game. I do want to play Majora's Mask though as that sounds great to me.

• @tokeeffe9 Which is your favorite Zelda?

Anyway, it's ssssssssooooooo loooooonnggg! Even to people who loved that game, it's pretty impossible to deny the methodical pacing. That would have to be many several full playthrough Friday-length streams, and at least 40-50 hours to see credits. Plus we know Kyle would zoom in on all the bushes and find all the secrets to make jokes to Damiani.

I would just like Ben to finish his Twilight Princess full playthrough, with or without Brad. Or for Brad to do it without Ben. The tease, man, the tease of that first stream. (Twilight Princess is, like, my favorite game that yet exists bar none.)

• I never played Skyward Sword, but Kyle has streamed the beginning of it before - and I wish he would continue this playthrough as I really enjoyed what I saw. I just have no desire to track down a copy and play through it myself at the moment. Always hold out hope, OP.

• @MiserablePerson I forget how amazing of a troll that was. I only bothered to watch through the beginning and end, but Kyle Bosman has raised trolling to an entirely new bar. We need more of these kind of bets, but less grumpy episodes of Settle It.

And honestly, with how angry Bosman and Damiani were throughout A Link to the Past, I don't even want to imagine what it would take for Ian and Huber(?) to get through something like The Last of Us.

• @crey said in Settle It or Fun Game Monday: Skyward Sword?:

So since Breath of the Wild is coming out in less than 2 months I was thinking about the latest Zelda, Skyward Sword. Any chance of Kyle playing this game on either a Settle It stream with Damiani or on Fun Game Monday? Since it's a pretty disliked game nowadays (even though everyone loved it at launch) I'm just really curious why Kyle feels the way he does about it and I think many of the Allies are too. One big drawback is that it's a very long game, but maybe he doesn't have to play all of it.

(First time posting on these forums so I'm sorry if I made any mistakes or if this has been talked about before.)

As far I know Kyle loved the game because it was one of the games he played when he was going through some hardships in his life and he loved that game during those times, perhaps much like how he loved bubsy 3d when he first got his PS 1.

• I can't stand Skyward Sword at all (and I liked the controls) so I'd love to see both sides discuss it in a Settle it.

The game might be too long but they could play a bit of the beginning and then jump to a different save around the middle of the game maybe? (perhaps when you have to fight the same 2 bosses 3 times each :P)

• Global Moderator

@Haru17 sorry, worded that badly. Skyward Sword is my favourite currently.

• @MiserablePerson Damn forgot about that little gem, thanks for reminding me. Just rewatched it and he does say that the reasons why he loves it comes later in the game unfortunately. Imma try to catch one of his solo streams and ask him directly. It's kinda hard though since he always streams so late for us here in EU.

• If Kyle streams it, I'm definitely playing along with him. It's my least liked Zelda but I think after all this time it deserves a second chance. It's still a very good game after all, just an average Zelda.

• I'd be very interested in seeing Kyle do a full playthrough on Skyward Sword in one way or another.

• Not a fan, didn't like the controls, and really haven't liked a zelda game since wind waker...TP was fine and all, but it dragged on and felt and looked too much like OoT, just with wolf link instead

• @Mbun Yeah, I think i'd be perfect right now when hype train is going so strong for Breath of the Wild. I really want to check SS out again, I've been trying to replay it several times this year but I can't seem to get the ball rolling, the controls always turn me off.

• @KenshoD Kyle actually mentioned this in the stream where they built those robots (can't recall the name and can't google right now, Gundam something?). Someone asked if "Settle it" has to be full playthroughs and Kyle said that it absolutely didn't have to be, so maybe your idea would work nicely.

• I honestly effing can't with this game sometimes. Just, like, who thought this was what the next Zelda game should be? It's like Huber with Resident Evil 6: even if it's come and gone, Skyward Sword always going to be there in the art books, on the wiki, and in the series' history.

Fi on Blue Bokoblins: "This is a dangerous form of Bokoblin. My analysis suggests it is many times
    stronger than a Red Bokoblin. Its skin and clothing differ due to its hailing from a different environment, but it still has the same fixation with exotic undergarments.

There are four different Bokoblin descriptions about their leopard-print underwear. It's not even a good underpants joke like in Super Paper Mario! ffs...

alt text

• @Haru17 Heh, yeah. I am actually playing through this game right now and it's surprisingly good (haven't played it since it launched). There's a lot of good stuff in this game that i'd forgotten about, I totally see why some people think it's a 10. That said there are a lot of bad things in this game as well, so I can see the other side too.

Just to name a few:

• Controls are exhausting and unsatisfying.
    • SO MUCH HANDHOLDING. Like seriously, if you've turned off the game, every time you pick something up you get the item pickup animation and sound with the text describing the item, like wtf, who thought that was a good idea? My Wii has been on for over a week because I don't want to deal with this shit. There's just a lot of annoying redundant shit in general that has no use at all but to slow the game down and piss the player off. This includes Fi, though she's not as bad as I remember.
      (I think I'll really appreciate BotW for getting rid of all this.)
    • The sky feels empty and gross. Why is it beige?
    • Dowsing. Why is this a thing?

Some good things I picked up on:

• Groose grows into a fantastic character throughout the game.
    • Link and Zeldas relationship is great.
    • Girahim is great.
    • 10/10 music.
    • Super charming dialogue.
    • Good dungeons with good bosses (for the most part).
    • It has vibes.

PS
    Just a quick update to this thread, I actually got Kyles attention on one of his streams. He gave a "hard no" because he doesn't want to get burned out on the franchise before BotW, which I totally respect. Oh well.

• @crey I agree with most of your points save for a few exceptions. I really hated the art style, writing, and world of this game. It made everything feel cheap. Like, did we really need a Zelda game with a cliche high school love triangle BEFORE Zelda gets kidnapped, in 2011? No, no we did not.

The so-called 'handholding' doesn't bug me as the FFXV-style jarring cuts do. I mean seriously, we get three dream / premonition sequences before Link even wakes up. That's just doubting your audience and over-explaining at that point. I really liked the slow start in Twilight Princess because it had some sick story moments, some classic village puzzles, and it set the scale for the game, starting modestly only to mount and mount. It's kind of hard to do that when you start on a floating island. And I know it sounds like I have nothing but bad things to say about this game.

That's because I do.

I did nothing ever in my life to deserve Ghirahim and Groose. And don't try and take that out of context — I mean it in the negative sense. They are both such utter bad character designs, I cannot comprehend who approved them. Ghirahim is like an artist took Zant and the Twilight's weird floating rectangles and said 'his clothes are white and they're diamonds now.'

And one final point about the world, I think there were fetch quests than in any other 3D Zelda game. They didn't have a real water area and the 'water' area they did have was covered in the same ugly beige as most of the sky. No one comments on the giant cloud dome until you can go there despite it being in plain sight for the entire duration of the game. The areas were constructed in a hurry and all feel and look cheap, with odd polygons that weren't even in the Gamecube games.

And that forest temple is a joke. There, I'm done.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.