Manga, power up one panel at a time.

• alt text

Welcome to the EZA manga thread. Also known as Ben's nightcap catchup.

You know the drill: a place to talk about weekly updates, what you've been reading, recommendations and avoiding the temptation to push that one oh so good manga through Mr Moore's backlog letterbox.

As always with the forum, keep it love & respect, try to avoid linking to dodgy scan sites, buy when you can and champion those mangaka!

To kick off here's Takemitsu Zamurai:

alt text

Utterly beguiling manga illustrated by the wonderful Taiyo Matsumoto. A total delight, the art in particular.

• Feeling down? Feeling blue? Then this strange little kid will make it all better for you! Yotsuba&! is by Kiyohiko Azuma-sensei, creator of another comedy classic Azumanga Daioh. Beautifully drawn, genuine, heartfelt and funny, I recommend it to anyone.

• Since people are reccing things right off the bat, Anyone who wants a beautiful rendition of the tale of Miyamoto Musashi should check out Vagabond. on top of great writing it has some of the best art in the biz. Arguably my #2 favorite right behind Steel Ball Run!

• Also Praising the gods that Berserk is making its return this month. The untranslated scans of the new chapter looking good as always. Heres hoping he sticks around for more than 3 months this year

• @Mechanoid
    A rhyming intro? The best slice of life manga ever? D-Dai suki! ~anime blush.~

• @Tommynaut21
    Vagabond is rad, no doubt. The lack of updates is killing me though.

• Crazy that the majority of my favorite mangas have some of the worst update schedules. I'm surprised that HxH has been back for 10 chapters with more on the way. Honestly don't know when Vagabond is coming back, but at least its pretty close to its ending. Its building to the final fight and its really about getting them in the same place for that to happen.

• If I had to recommend a manga that I'm reading at the moment it would have to be Tokyo Ghoul:re. Although I would have to say start with regular Tokyo Ghoul seeing as :re is a sequel manga.

• @MoonScentedHunter :re is finally going places after a pretty slow start. Starting to like it about as much as I like OG Tokyo Ghoul. Shame that most peoples point of reference for the series is the anime, which I think was not a good adaptation in the slightest

• What I'm reading atm.

• Hajime no Ippo is very good, and we're having a nice arc now (after a while)
    • UQ Holder! Had a decent start, then it reminded everybody that it's mangaka was Akamatsu (a lot of lolis and nudeness (?)) now when it was reaching a good pace again, is going into a Hiatus till October I think.
    • Black Lagoon, well it's been years but I'm still waiting for the number 88, Rei Hiroe is really the KING of Hiatus.
    • Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) Very mainstream but it's so gooood!
    • The Memorandum of Kyoko Okitegami is a detectives manga and it's very lighthearted for now.

That's for now, I'm open for suggestions tho.

• @Zatheus I'd honestly recommend any other the works of Naoki Urasawa. 20th Century Boys, Monster, Pluto, and currently Billy Bat. All thrillers and really well written that get you sucked in. I blasted through the entirety of 20th century boys in a couple of days cause I couldn't put it down. Billy Bat has it's ups and downs but its such a cool concept that I give it a pass

• @Tommynaut21 is it on Crunchyroll or should I look somewhere else?

• @Zatheus You can find most if not all of his stuff on Bato.to
    You may have to create an account, but its free so no worries. Just search his name and his stuff should pop up for you! You'll have to type it as Urasawa Naoki though.

• Nothing much on my part. I recently read the newest English volumes of One Punch Man and Attack on Titan. I want to see how the stories will end! And as always, awaiting for the next Berserk volume.

• What's that? You haven't taken a moment to dip your toes into the gentlest end of the world going?

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō

alt text

An optimistic, charmingly naive robot runs an end of the road coffee shop sat in a slowly decaying future Japan. It's a beautiful thing.

• Ready to dive into a crazy sci-fi world where: humans can nourish themselves through photosynthesis, go genderless until the time of their choosing, have a talking bear as a cafeteria worker, fight off shape-shifting tentacle aliens, and enjoy some sweet mecha action? Perhaps Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia) is for you! It's Hideo Kojima approved!

A fun and weird sci-fi story to get lost into.

• Kagerou Daze
    alt text
    You WILL be confused, but damn it's so good.

• @Mechanoid More of a Blame! fan myself but Sidonia still has really interesting art to look at

• For fans of old school mecha, get in on Getter Robo! The story of a powerful robot that can split into 3 and change form on the fly to combat the dinosaur empire who have been waiting to return for thousands of years. Big influence on Gurren Lagann if anyone's a fan of that. Fair warning the story will never be concluded due to the authors unfortunate death and ends on one of the most NASTY cliffhangers I've ever seen. You can read all parts of the series over at Bato.to if you're interested. The series order is
    -Getter Robo
    -Getter Robo G
    -Getter Robo Go
    -Shin Getter Robo
    -Getter Robo Arc

http://imgur.com/bNH77q6

• @Tommynaut21 Yeah the anime adaptation is a joke.