Anime Winter Season 2017: first impressions/discussion

• To preface (again), I'm not going to try and hide it, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to anime; a snob to my own developed tastes, but a snob nonetheless, which is why I wanted to post here and see what everyone else was feeling (those that keep up with the seasons).

I'll blow through my "watching list", then hit the impressions after.

Series that have my attention

• Fuuka (current)
    • Little Witch Academia (about to watch episode 2)
    • Scum's Wish (current)
    • Onihei (current)
    • Interviews with Monster Girls (haven't watched newest episode)
    • Saga of Tanya the Evil (current)
    • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (current)

First Impressions

• Fuuka ~ Full disclosure, I didn't read the manga, and I won't, so I had no idea about Fuuka and it has me hooked and locked. As a musician, I am a SUCKER for series like this (Kids on the Slope is a favorite of recent years and Your Lie In April is my favorite "short" series of all time); series about music, but also about what music IS, how music feels, or the power that music can have. Fuuka starts off incredibly generic, but its the characters' character that let it breathe and expand into its own thing. This series is going to rip me apart and build me up so many times, and I'm so looking forward to it.

• Little Witch Academia ~ I loved the two Little Witch Academia films, and was ecstatic when I heard that Trigger would be making an actual series out of the franchise. Personally, I think they knock it out of the park. The animation is obviously going to be mildly dialed back from its feature film sisters, but I barely noticed. I love that it's basically retelling part of what the first film told, since now we get an even more fleshed out cast of characters and story. I really really hope that this series performs well, because I want more.

• Scum's Wish ~ Oh man, I feel like Scum's Wish is going to be my new go-to when I want to watch people squirm. I picked it up due to ANN's review scores all being high while at the same time saying "THIS IS NOT OKAY". This series looks to be brutal, crushing, and unsettling, all solely portrayed through human interaction. I love it, and I love the idea of it.

• Onihei ~ This is kind of my toss up, could stick with or drop who knows. I like the premise, I like the main character, but I can already see how it may get really stale really fast, but we'll see. I really like what I've seen so far though, and there will always be a soft spot in my heart for fight scenes with jazz background music.

• Interviews with Monster Girls ~ I don't like straight up cutesy slice of life anime. The closest I usually get to that genre is Daily Lives of High School Boys (hilarious). But man, there's something about this one and the last on the list that just have me for some stupid reason. I don't know what it is, but I really dig this so far. It just feels very pure, and the young high school girls are seemingly off-limits, which is a nice change of pace.

• Saga of Tanya the Evil ~ I feel like this is going to be the polarizing series of the season. I'm still adjusting to the art style and the main character's voice, but after episode 2, this series has me really interested, primarily because of how bizarre and borderline unnecessary it is. I like how in episode 1, it seemed like the studio was trying to have you root for literal evil, but with episode 2, you learn that it's less about who you root for, and more about watching a journey. Episode 2 locked me in where episode 1 just had me interested.

• Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid ~ Oddly enough, I feel less weird about enjoying this series than I do about 'Interviews'. I just find it hilarious. It's dumb, it's simple, but it's got a bit of heart to it, and so I'll give it a shot.

HONORABLE MENTION

• Hand Shakers

I'm going to go back and actually try to make it through the entire first episode, but my god, I haven't seen an anime this technically bad in a long time. Does anyone know if this is some sort of experiment or satire?

Anyway

What about everyone else? What Winter series are you guys watching, and what are your first impressions? I'm really interested to hear if I've skipped out on something that I shouldn't have, or if I've dodged some bullets. I skipped out on a lot of sequel series because I didn't watch their predecessors.

I hope the format for this post isn't obnoxious and annoying. I tried to keep the impressions short and not review-like. Any feedback would be appreciated as well, because I'd like to start doing this for every new anime season.

Godspeed!

• I don't really feel that this Winter season has much for me, but I'm gonna give these shows a shot:
    ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
    Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen
    Chain Chronicle: Haecceitas no Hikari
    Onihei
    Little Witch Academia

Spring season on the other hand looks incredible.

• So far only two series have really grabbed me. ACCA and the second season of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, but both look excellent. I love the art style of ACCA and I was absolutely enthralled with season one of SGRS. I'm hoping to find some more shows to watch though.

Edit: I totally forgot Koro Sensei Quest! If you love Assassination Classroom as much as I do (or even just liked it) this show is a must watch! It's basically a retelling of the events of the original show but in the universe of a JRPG.

• Chain Chronicles is a must watch for me. I tried some other shows and couldn't get through a few first episodes but right now everything else is up in the air for me. I'll probably end up dropping most like always but Youjo Senki is somewhat interesting with a very different art style. Hand shakers also has a very intriguing art style but we'll see where it goes. I want eidlive to be good since i loved the hitman reborn series but its just not doing it for me. I might try onihei again but im not usually interested in historical type anime and i dropped the first ep abruptly.

• Damn. Just how anime do you watch each season?

• Tried Interviews with Monster Girls, didnt really like it. The character designs are incredible bland and boring. What's the point of a monster girl anime if they're basically 99.999999999% human?

Gonna try the maid dragon one next, hopefully that's more my kinda thing

• I'm watching Interviews With Monster Girls and Masamune-kun's Revenge since I've been confined to Crunchyroll unfortunately.

Monster Girls is great once you get over the whole "the teacher has a harem of students what the fuck Japan" so that's nice. Masamune though isn't living up to what the premise is: it's a story about a fat kid who got rejected by a really mean girl so he's made himself super sexy so he can get her to fall for him and then break her heart. Comedy goldmine surely, but so far there's been less quality gags than panty shots and I'm really not a panty shot kind of guy (sorry food wars).

• @Mr-M I dropped Masamune-kun's Revenge and Seiren both after the first episode after realizing they were going to be "those" kind of shows.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.