Games you feel compelled to go back and replay?

• Just a simple question, what games you love to return to and replay? Maybe it's because they are your favorites, or it's sort of a comfort for you to play a lot. It can be once a year, once every few years, maybe more than once a year if you simply must do so.

For me, I must replay most of The Legend of Zelda games once a year, because it's my favorite series, and I find them so re-playable. Same goes for the main series Pokemon games, since I can use different teams, make up challenges, etc. There are others, but those two are top choices of mine.

• It seems like I start a new game on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion every year. Usually I beat the Dark Brotherhood quest line and put it back on the shelf for next year.

I also love replaying Final Fantasy XII. I always get to Mt Bur-Omisace and stop. That's the point where FFXII becomes a big time commitment, and I figure I should hold off until the HD version. After all these years of waiting, it might finally come out.

• Mass Effect. It's the only game I replay over and over again.
    It's like a fave book or movie, I just want to experience the characters and story over again.

• Link's Awakening. It was the first game I ever played, and I know that game like the back of my hand. It brings me more nostalgia than anything, and I feel like I have to pick it up play it again at some point about every year.

• There are tons of games I'd love to go back and replay (Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2, The Last of Us, pretty much the whole Ratchet and Clank series, Silent Hill 1 thru 3), but with so many great new games coming out so regularly, who has the time? I've made some valiant attempts to replay most of those, but I rarely finish them a second time. Most recently is Valkyria Chronicles, but now I've gotten distracted at not quite halfway. Yeah, I should get back to that one.

It ends up that the things I always come back to are classic arcade games and Crash Bandicoot (Huber levels of hype for the remakes). The reason is that there's so little commitment. If I have 20 minutes to kill, a little Gyruss or Robotron, maybe a level or two of Crash is perfect. There's no finishing to worry about, and no worry that I'll forget what's going on in the story by the next time I play. Just great, short burst gameplay.

• Yu-Gi-Oh!: Power Of Chaos - Joey The Passion.

It's not the most advanced or content saturated game in the series, but it's a good stress reliever & an easy fix. I play it every other day nowadays.

• @Smartzke I recently replayed Link's Awakening, and I am the same way with it. I know it so well, I can beat it to 100% completion in about 7 hours, (I got the time from the 3DS activity log) but it still feels like a big adventure to me.

• I have a ton of games I feel like going back to but I don't have the time or I still remember how to do almost everything so am putting them off for now.

The ones I can think of right now are:
    -Shadowrun (snes), the keywords system and npc tricks in-game blew me away when I was a kid. Played through it a year or 2 ago (4th time) so it will be awhile before I play it again
    -Metal Warrior, loved trying to beat this when I was younger. Didn't realize I had gotten to the last level till I beat it years later
    -Beyond good and evil, played it to death before I lost my copy
    -The World Ends With You, will be playing this again later this year
    -Hybrid Heaven, putting it off because I don't think it held up that well and lost my copy

I want to replay almost ever game I enjoyed years ago just to see if they are still good now lol.

• If I'm just bored and want a quick play through: Ace Combat (0, 4, 5, or 6). Just hop in a mission and go, no stress.

Otherwise the compulsion to go back and replay something is usually because I'll see, or hear, something that reminds me of an old favorite.
    Did a bunch of Zelda games a couple of months back. All the Mass Effect talk in the forums lately has me itching to replay it.

• I want to play through Persona 4 again but it's a 60+ hour endeavour and I have other games that need my attention.

• The World Ends With You. The story, combat and music always beckons me back. It's easily my favorite handheld RPG of all time which always makes me sad that Square never attempted a sequel but maybe that is for the best.

Resident Evil 5. The co-op gameplay is perfect in this game and it also doesn't hurt that Wesker is a total badass in it.

• admin

I'm on my third play through of Dark Souls 3 in a row. When I beat it, I look at the other games I have (including Uncharted 4), and feel I'd rather just make a new character and see what that's like.

• Megaman X. I never plan to replay it but if I ever pick up that game I get sucked right in. That game is perfect for me. Stylish, fun, with great level design. I picked up new things through subsequent play through I never noticed before. Beating some levels affects the environments of others! That game is beautifully crafted. Modern game designers should take note. Screw handholding tutorials. The best moment I will remember forever is learning that Megaman X can wall jump because you get dropped into a pit and it's all self discovery. Magic

• Ori and the Blind forrest. Especially now with the Definitive Edition. Beatiful and fun game with an amazing Soundtrack.

• I replay Star Fox 64 almost every year, as well as Super Mario 64, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Vectorman, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Mario 3, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

• I always pick up Persona 3 Portable again. Once a year I try to hit Space Channel 5, Super Paper Mario, and Super Mario Galaxy. And I play Pokemon year round.

• till this day the only Zelda game I finished more than once is Skyward Sword and I'm planing to go back and finish it again on hero mode later, those controls are just so good.

• I don't know why but I keep replaying Pokemon Ruby. It just feels like a much simpler time for Pokemon.

• I've been itching to play Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 recently. The former because I have yet to finish the game on its highest difficulty (halfway done with that playthrough).

• Deadspace, Final fantasy VI and Tales of Vesperia are the ones I return to most just due to fond memories while playing them.