Fire Emblem Direct

• So, I wanted to talk about the Fire Emblem-themed Nintendo Direct I just watched. Spoiler Warning: If you haven't seen the video and wish to be surprised by any of the content therein, back out now!

It's crazy to think that the series almost ended with Awakening, since it is now on track to become one of Nintendo's flagship series. We didn't get much information about Warriors, and the mobile title was more or less what I expected (e.g. not very exciting to me, but whatever). However, I am thrilled about the remake of FE: Gaiden coming in only 5 months! Also, as an incredibly huge fan of their console titles (best games in the series, in my opinion), I am absolutely delighted to hear that they are beginning development on a Switch title. It's just great to see the series get some much-deserved love. While there are things in Fates that didn't make it my favorite entry, I still loved it and I am still super excited about the future of this incredible franchise.

• That was a good Direct!

We got the 2 expected games, plus 2 surprises.

Fire Emblem Heroes, the mobile game, looks gorgeous, I'm really digging the art style. Gameplay looks very light but that's the point. Nintendo mobile games are supposed to be appetizers to make you interested in the full experiences on their dedicated consoles. But of course, if they can make money with them directly, they won't say no. Trying their hand at the CCG / gacha style of game can be scary from a gamer point of view, but hey, can't blame them when you see how much money those games make. The key aspect for me will be whether the game is still enjoyable and interesting without paying.

Not much info on Fire Emblem Warriors, but I was very surprised by the release date, 2017! If they stick to it, that's another major game for the Switch's first year! Can't wait!

And that new 3DS game, wow! I did not see that coming! I never played the original Gaiden game, but what they've shown of it looks awesome. It's sort of like a traditional JRPG with dungeon crawling and all, but with Fire Emblem-style combat. Just when I thought I had bought my last ever 3DS game, this one just jumped to the top of my wishlist!

• Can't say I'm ever super excited for newer FE releases as I haven't really liked the last few after the franchise left GBA BUT I'm really looking forward to the remake of Gaiden, I've replayed that game so many times and would love to see a legit translation with updated graphics.

And FE Musou is an instant lock for me, Dragon Quest Musou was one of the best games I played in 2015 (sequel is out in a few months too!) so these crossovers to me as a guy who buys anything musou are totally awesome! I just hope they expand upon it more than Hyrule Warriors....I found it quite boring compared to other Musou games, and then the BS they pulled when they ported it to 3DS concerning DLC with the Wii-U version completely ruined it for me.

The mobile title looks neat, other games have already done similar things like Final Fantasy Exvius, but my interest will depend on pricing. If it's free I expect a fair amount of money grabbing, however if it's a paid title then I don't want to see ANY microtransactions. It'll at least be nice that they aren't making Android owners wait any longer than iOS this time around as well since we STILL don't have Super Mario Run (It releases AFTER fire emblem).

• I just wish that in this sea of Fire Emblem games Nintendo could release a new Advance Wars. Just one.

• @suplextrain said in Fire Emblem Direct:

I just wish that in this sea of Fire Emblem games Nintendo could release a new Advance Wars. Just one.

Same, just as long as it's not like Battalion Wars.

• @suplextrain I completed all four and even the two Battalion Wars games, so I would absolutely love that. Such a challenging and well-constructed series absolutely bursting with charm.

@ZyloWolfBane I'm pretty positive they already said it was a free-to-play title. They showed microtransactions in the video, but it looks like you can also earn that currency through gameplay.

And I liked Battalion Wars, though I agree I'd prefer AW.

• @Billy said in Fire Emblem Direct:

@suplextrain I completed all four and even the two Battalion Wars games, so I would absolutely love that. Such a challenging and well-constructed series absolutely bursting with charm.

@ZyloWolfBane I'm pretty positive they already said it was a free-to-play title. They showed microtransactions in the video, but it looks like you can also earn that currency through gameplay.

Yeah, long as it's free I don't mind that pricing structure. I play at least 2 games regularly on my phone that I've never spent a dime on and am fairly decent competitively.

Here's hoping they don't have any arbitrary barriers to play like energy, etc.

• I need to put more time into Awakening, but I can't help but be interested in Fire Emblem, simply because the core gameplay mechanics appeal so much to me, specially if it is one that I don't have to play on a handheld.

I'm also interested in the Warriors game, I liked DQ Heroes, but I won't be playing the second one, in great part because DQ as a whole is not that appealing to me, so I'm hoping that they manage to make it more compelling with Fire Emblem.

• was a great direct

is it just me or has koei tecmo been every where the last 2 or 3 years

• I'm definitely pumped! I don't usually play mobile games, but I'll have to try Heroes, and Echoes looks great. I don't know enough about the other two games to have much of an opinion but I'm optimistic nonetheless.

• Heroes has me on the fence. I've played many similar mobile games to this and you eventually hit a pretty hard wall unless you pay up. The only exception I found to this was Galaxy of Heroes but the grind in that game became insane after awhile as well. Considering the microtransaction window was shown in the direct (ranging from $2 up to $75), I can't help but feel it will follow suit but I imagine the initial download will be free, so I'll try it out before passing further judgement. Tharja popping up in the trailer definitely made me pay more attention.

That remake looks great and I'm all in. Warriors... I will play but I wish they wouldn't show the smallest bites of it. The Switch presentation basically shows a logo and someone grabbing a sword, this showed... maybe 15 new seconds? If that truly is coming out this year, they should have more to show, which hopefully will be fixed in the following months.

Either way, Fire Emblem is a great franchise with legs to grow and I'm glad Nintendo is showing it some love. Now if we could just get a Mother direct...

• @SabotageTheTruth i believe their having a online services direct in feburary

• Echoes was the biggest surprise for me. I had not even considered that they would be developing another Fire Emblem in 3DS. The most exciting announcement was a new Switch Fire Emblem. Also glad it's not just an HD port of Fates.

It seems like Nintendo is looking to make Fire Emblem an annual franchise, which is crazy considering the state of the series just 5 years ago. But also potentially worrying.

• @Cypher As it stands now, I'm not overly worried. Remember that Fates was a 2015 release initially in Japan, so Echoes is two years afterwards. Even though they are completely overhauling Gaiden, I imagine it's easier having a framework and story already in place somewhat. The real test will be their transition to the Switch, and although it's a long ways away, I am so excited by the prospect of another console Fire Emblem.

• I've never played a Fire Emblem game but the stuff in the direct has got me interested. I love me a good Musou game so I will be picking up Fire Emblem Warriors and deep diving into the series with that.

I also have Awakenings installed on my 3DS but unplayed (I'm a terrible human being I know) so I might play that someday soon to have a taste of what the main series is like.

The mobile game is easily the most blatantly exploitative one Nintendo have come out with so far although gameplay-wise it does look interesting. So I'll give that a stab when it hits iOS.

• I'm happy to see most of us are in agreement here. The Direct was done amazingly. Very good decision to have Yuri do the narration.

Blown away by Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia...not as much this dude. (A Shenmue Huber level reaction).

I love that its not just another Fire Emblem 3DS game, while we all would've loved it, a remake of an original with mechanics no other game has used really gets me hyped. Promoting any unit to any class will be fun as hell. Release date of May was surprising, this game has likely been long in development.

Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch - I'm surprised they announced it this early. Perhaps this will be one of the major games they will tease before E3, and be one of the major games that we want more information about, perhaps dropping a Q1 or Q2 2018 release date as well. (Other than the "one more thing..." that might hold Metroid/Mother 3).

Warriors, as Ben said, its what we expected. I look forward to it but I don't have a whole lot of hype yet. It needs to have something original that gives a nod to the series, until I see that there isn't much excitement from me.

Fire Emblem Heroes looks pretty good, but I'm not sure how they will balance having 1 Star -> 5 Star heroes. I'm struggling to picture a reality where you don't hit that wall where you suddenly have to spend hundreds of hours grinding. Basically, how much time am I saving with real life money? If I'm saving so much money that my time spent playing the game feels pointless, then the game will be a disappointment.

I'll certainly play it until I hit that wall, probably spend $5 to see how it all plays out, but the second I hit that wall I'll ditch it.

• @thenerdtheword Haha, how wild to potentially start a long-running SRPG series with a Musou game! Awakening is the most accessible starting point into the series, in my opinion, so that would be your best bet to experience gameplay more indicative of the series.

• @Billy said in Fire Emblem Direct:

@thenerdtheword Haha, how wild to potentially start a long-running SRPG series with a Musou game! Awakening is the most accessible starting point into the series, in my opinion, so that would be your best bet to experience gameplay more indicative of the series.

That's how I roll!

I'll try and give Awakenings a shot but my 3DS is a Pokemon machine at the moment. My current task is to complete Pokemon Sun before I get my Switch because I want to be distraction free for Zelda. Maybe once there is a lull in Switch games in a few months I'll have the time to give it a go.

• Seconding the love for Awakenings here. Fates wasn't bad by any means but everything just clicked so well in Awakenings. To me, better characters, better stories, better objectives in combat.

• Best announcement was the 3DS game IMO, which is surprising considering Nintendo's launching the Switch in a month and a few days. I wonder how long it was in development.