Rate the Song Thread

• @Dragonhunter Glad to see this thread revitalized! I love the way this song exploits dynamics. By starting in the midrange with strings and then moving the melody down to the bass to build power it is able to maintain a sense of momentum, and I like that the same instrument group was used in both cases to make it flow together nicely. The shift in percussion used was cool too, with the moving from the resonant bell to the thudding bass sound and then to the gong hit and the suspended cymbal roll to bring up the tension. The climax, pause, and ending with the piano was also well done because the in the climax the melody moves to the brass section which gives it a lot of power, the pause lets the loud sound ring out, and the move to the piano brings us back to the high-mid register that we started with. If I had one criticism, it's that it feels fairly formulaic at times. It's well executed and tightly constructed, but the way the song develops--while tried and true--feels a little tired to me. It's great at doing what it does, but there's nothing that makes it feel especially unique. 4/5.

Here's mine! Joywave -- Bad Dreams.

• not sure what exactly that is supposed to be, but I think it is ok, probably wouldn't be able to make it through an entire album of that though.

I guess I'll just post what I was listening to

deustche metal ist best metal!!!

• @bard91 I'm suprised, usually when foreigners talk about german metal it's always Rammstein, and I really don't like Rammstein. This one is alright, as the weeb I am I personally prefer when a female japanese singing voice is mixed into the screaming, like this one
    Destruction - Foreground Eclipse

• @Musou-Tensei I have very little respect for Rammstein, specially when compared to all of the fantastic metal bands Germany has produced.

I actually thought you were posting a weeb version of a Destruction song that I didn't know about (the german thrash band).

Anyhow I tend to like weeb music as well, but that one didn't really do it for me.

I'll keep the german love going

I had a blast seeing these guys live, and seeing all the germans in the crowd getting pumped was pretty awesome.

• 6.8/10

Good rhythm and production, but not very memorable.

Might as well keep the German thing going...

Wumpscut - Bunkertor 7

• @Oscillator Like the instrumental! Not a giant fan of how the singer sounds. I may not personally enjoy it, but I can realize that it doesn't suck.

6/10

Sticking with Germany, here is a song from the worlds best power metal band.

BLIND GUARDIAN - Twilight of The Gods

• @parasitepaladin I totally love the vocal style, blending the operatic clean high vocal with traces of grittier vocal tones is really cool and fits with the epic style of the song. Also definitely a fan of the rhythms in the guitar, there's some really cool songwriting happening in the solos. Interestingly, there's a huge amount of classical influence in the chord progressions (this is true in metal in general, since the heavily dissonant instruments need consonant songwriting to prevent the whole thing from falling apart, but it's even more apparent here with the classical-style vocals). There's a moment between the first and second choruses where it feels like there's a lack of momentum, but the solo after the second chorus where it goes into the triplets does a great job of pushing the song forward. I liked it overall and added this to my YouTube favorites. 9/10.

Peeling away from German metal, here's a chill-out track that makes cool use of audio splitting. Listening recommendation: listen to this with your eyes closed and through headphones. Chrome Sparks: Marijuana.

• @alexwhiteplays said in Rate the Song Thread:

Peeling away from German metal, here's a chill-out track that makes cool use of audio splitting. Listening recommendation: listen to this with your eyes closed and through headphones. Chrome Sparks: Marijuana.

5.9/10

Drug music is supposedly to be hypnotic and mind-opening, but this is too loud and noisy.

Have some real drug music:

Stomu Yamash'ta - As Expanding As

• @Oscillator
    Sry not my kind of thing 3/10

Just started listening to some french music a few days ago Indila - Tourner Dans Le Vide

• @Dragonhunter 8/10 I really enjoyed it! I didn't totally understand the music video though. Only 8 out of 10 because I got this feeling that it was almost but not quite a jam. It'll probably grow on me more with a few more listens.

Here's a song that's really captured me lately. Kim Lip (Of Loona) - Eclipse

• @michemagius This track is interesting to me because it's one of the few examples of a song that manages to bring together delicate RnB-style vocals with a heavily 90s dance-influenced synth and drum samples and have the result sound good. There's not a lot of buildup in the song, but it's still a good jam song. My biggest problem with it is the way that it ends, it feels abrupt because it cuts off in the middle of a repeated phrase and I wish they had just brought it to a solid conclusion. Overall, though, I found myself grooving to it almost immediately. 9/10.

Spent a lot of time trying to decide on a track worthy of sharing before I realized I was overthinking it. Here's a thing I like. It's called Let's Paint Our Teeth Green, and it's by Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.

• @alexwhiteplays Let's revive this thread people!

Ok. This song isn't what I wouldn't typically listen to. I'm more of a funk person then a rock person. But, I did enjoy the vocals, I think the singer's voice had a nice color and the backing vocals were repetitive in a way that gave the song a good consistency. It has a similar vibe to my favorite rock song, Sacrilege by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It didn't have the same building of tension, but it reminded me of the sort of out of body feeling that that song invokes in earlier portions. I'll give it an 8/10, a nice listen.

Here's the song I'll be recommending. It just came out today, and I think it's one of my favorite releases this year. "DDD" (Dul Dul Dul) by EXID. (Epilepsy Warning on the Video)

• @michemagius said in Rate the Song Thread:

Here's the song I'll be recommending. It just came out today, and I think it's one of my favorite releases this year. "DDD" (Dul Dul Dul) by EXID. (Epilepsy Warning on the Video)

3/10. Sounds like every bland, overproduced modern pop song ever.

My pick, some classic analog synth:

Youtube Video

• @Oscillator
    Woah it's been a while. Sounds really nice, I love synths 8/10

Youtube Video

• Banned

This post is deleted!