Resident Evil 7 (PC/PS4/XB1)

• Global Moderator

Little bit surprised that there isn't a topic for this.

I won't be able to play until later in the year but I'm really curious to hear about impressions, in particular for VR. The game itself has received excellent reviews and the neogaf thread on the VR is really positive.

Anyone here have any opinions on it?

Update: EZA Review

Youtube Video

• I won't say much, but the game is very tense. Through the 7 hours i have played so far, i have been on edge the whole time. The sound is amazing in the game, and to me, it has the feel of the older RE games, because it is all basically one big area, and not all these difference locations you go to. One complaint would be the inventory, it is very clunky and could be better.

• I'm waiting for a full version retail release, if at all, wasn't impressed by the demo.

• Only put about 2 hours in so far, but the atmosphere is seriously intense, especially with a good headset on. Extremely afraid to try my second playthru in VR, If I can manage to get a VR headset

• Global Moderator

Ya I think I might hold off on this anyway until I can get a VR headset

• Played the first 100 minutes or so earlier.

I'm very impressed with it, I really wish I hadn't of played the Beginning Hour demo though as that pretty much ruined the surprise of the first hour of the game for me after you reach the house (guess the clue was in the name but I stupidly listened to some Journo's say it's not related at all to the game...), few different bits and pieces though and I liked the continuation of certain elements like finding the bolt cutters and fuse I wasn't able to find in the demo made things feel a bit different.

Absolutely adore the atmosphere already, it's just dripping with dread, what I wasn't expecting though is just how Resi it would feel, you walk along a corridor, see the flashing of lightning streaming in and rain pouring down the windows and you can't help but think of the Spencer Mansion from the original, even the animations when you pick up and examine an object remind me of that so much, I like the little touches like the wrist watch and the items too, all very Resi.

The bit where you reach the foyer in the main house, two stair cases going up either side, I was like this IS a new Spencer Mansion, this IS Resi, it's back! Felt great to just be in there.

The gameplay itself is cool, I'm getting a definite Outlast/Alien:Isolation kind of vibe with it, but it still manages to feel distinct enough and Resi enough for me personally to differentiate from those titles, it definitely isn't scary though, I just don't feel threatened at all by the Bakers really, you get a brief 'Ahh, gotta run' when they get in close but if they catch me I just jankily leg it away from them, no idea if I'm meant to be shooting or running most of the time either. The graphics and lighting effects are incredible too (although the character models are a tad ropey at times), it can be a gorgeous game when you're walking through a dimly lit corridor or something, evokes the Train from RE0 a bit and of course the Spencer Mansion in the original (I know I've mentioned this a lot).

The bit with Jack(?) Baker with the car was a bit weird really, I quite liked it actually but it definitely felt slightly out of place and a bit ropey when you were handling the car, I think there's probably more of those moments to come as I go through the game as well

Someone from the development team definitely saw the first season of True Detective as well, there's even a shot in the beginning cutscene which is pretty much ripped straight from that, love the whole deep South swamp vibe to it.

So yeah, I'm impressed, probably more impressed than I thought I'd be and can't wait to play more, hopefully put some more time in at the weekend.

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• I absolutely loved the game. While not 100% what I would have liked as a "return to its roots", it was still much more appealing to me than anything following RE0.

I have run the game six times now. Five runs got me the platinum and then I did one "proper" speedrun attempt. (4 hours for the trophy seems to lenient to count it)

alt text

• I adored RE7 on so many levels. My favorite thing about it is that you can play it from front to back in VR, but not one time did I feel like I was getting an inferior experience because I wasn't using the headset. It made me want to buy a PSVR to play it again, but I didn't enjoy the game any less because of that.

It looks like the game is selling well, and Capcom deserves all the praise they get for a couple of reasons.

-7 months from announcement to release.
    -Noticing a hunger for a game like this. They successfully adapted a known franchise to move the series forward, while generally maintaining the things that made RE great.
    -Support for a platform (PSVR) whos user base is hungry for long form AAA games, without alienating people that are unable to play it that way.

My only criticism of the game is that once you learn the rules of the game, the tension falls of a little bit. That's probably more on me for playing so many games that I am able to identify these rules more easily, but its noticeable.

I hope they learned from the way this game was made and the things they are being praised for and apply it to their other franchises.

• @ReeseRed
    Too be fair that kinda applies to most horror games, kinda like RE4, it's easier to lure enemies into a bottleneck, headshot one of them, kick, then knife, repeat.
    Same thing applies to 7, except it's luring a enemy into a room and closing the door.

• @DMCMaster I also adore the short timespan between announcement and release. I still have flashbacks from RE5 where we had to wait 4 years after the first teaser.

RE7 is great. It aint perfect but I couldnt come up in a way to improve it.

I am torn of the second half of the game where you

run around the ship as Mia. This Game reminds me to much of revelations 1. In fact all the monster where picked directly from the revelation games.

I think Capcom managed to do a great compromise to satisfy fans of the old and new games. This makes me both excited and worried about the RE2 remaster, because it might going to look much more different than what the RE1 Remaster looked like.

• Global Moderator

Adding Huber's review to the OP

• @Rico
    Do remember that Capcom hired the guy behind that fan made RE2 remake, also considering RE2's legacy, I have a feeling it will be made with multiple camera systems to appeal to the 3 groups of RE fans, that being the fixed camera, over the shoulder, and the newly added First person.

• @DMCMaster that would be cool but I can't realy imagine this going to happen. It would be a lot of work.

• @Rico
    True especially when it comes to balancing advantages and disadvantages of each style.

• I had only previously played 5, although I watched Huber stream just about every other entry - and I really enjoyed 7. Some will say they didn't think it was scary, but I felt an enormous amount of tension throughout most of the game. Even some things I knew were going to happen still had me creeped out. A really nice atmosphere. I liked the return of puzzles, but a few of them were too simple and would like to see the difficulty regarding them ramped up a bit in 8. As for the story, I thought it was done pretty well. 6 was such an over the top spectacle that it left the series in a state where a semi-reboot was almost necessary. My only issues were surrounding the graphics really (Xbox); as enjoyed the True Detective Season 1 aesthetic and art direction. But it seems for those who got to enjoy it in PSVR, it was worth the hit in the overall graphics department to deliver on that front. There are ties to the past, interesting questions about the future, and given its success there's no reason to call for the end of the series just yet, Looking forward to what's next, and definitely REmake 2.

As for spoiler stuff....

I got the bad ending, although I felt letting Mia probably die was the best course of action at that point. The ending boss battle was pretty lackluster, wanted a little more but then Redfield makes an appearance... Personally I'm going to say they just want us to think it's Chris - and more likely its a clone, an unknown evil relative of Chris, or Hunk! (I really like the idea of it being him from what I've seen of his backstory, and having him morph into the premier villain for the next few games.) Lots of possibilities. Also a shout out to the Happy Birthday! tape - You knew that wasn't going to end well, and there was some intense dread for me leading up to it.

• Wanted to give my thoughts on playing it in VR. What Huber said during the full playthrough is true. You did feel motion sickness after a small session in the beginning (40-60 minutes). But after a few sessions became 80-100 minutes. By the end of the game I did a 4 hour 1 sitting. I was constantly sprinting and wasn't bothered by it. The settings I had was the default settings of 40 degrees and slow movement. Any questions feel free to ask.

• Finished the game on Normal ( PS4).

Enjoyed the game overall. I didn't find it surprising or 'creative' .

Possible spoilers *:
    The final boss was very disappointing .
    Kyle said at some point that the faces are not looking good.He is right they do take me out of the game .
    The pacing of the game is pretty good.
    the enemies design is okay.Liked the 'Nemesis' elements in the game.

• Banned

I can't play horror games.

I'm too big of a pussy.

Horror movies. I'm fine.
    Horror games. Fucking terrified.

• After watching huber playthrough it I feel the same way about it now that I did when it was first shown, it's interesting on it's own had they just not named it resident evil or tried to tie it into the lore whatsoever (Or worse, create a new storyline with existing franchise characters. Or retcon anything).

But as an RE title? As a fan of RE4, nope. Not interested in buying it. It's also far less of a game than the price provides value on IMO. I'll change that opinion if the free DLC actually makes it a complete package but it's still a bit.....sneaky in my eyes, the game needs to sell or they'll stop supporting it with free updates and they'll switch to paid DLC.

Normally I wouldn't be that suspicious but capcom has made a pretty vivid history of late releasing incomplete games for full price and then wonder why people aren't biting, or just outright bad games that they loan their licenses out for like Umbrella corps.

All other taste issues and business practices withheld, I'm just not a fan of the gameplay. It's too slow for my taste, the majority of the combat is in really tight spaces while being slow.

Granted VR would make that easier, but you shouldn't NEED that in order for the gameplay to function properly otherwise it should've been a VR exclusive.

All in all however I'm not the target audience, I'm not a huge RE fan. Whether it changed into this or stayed like RE5 and 6 I still wouldn't have been very excited about it. So my opinion matters very little lol.

• I'm not a Resident Evil fan by any stretch of the imagination. First and foremost I don't do scary. I don't watch scary movies and I sure as hell don't play scary games. The scariest I've gone is Bioshock, or handing my friend the controller while he played PT and Outlast while I half paid attention. I tried playing the HD remake for RE1 since it was free with PS+ but I hated it. Just not my style of game. I have played RE5 a while ago and remember enjoying it enough as a one off. All that being said the franchise does interest me and I've ready up on all of the plots and lore, watched the coop stream of the terrible RE6, and plan on slowly watching the RE7 stream. I've only seem the prologue of the game through the EZA stream but holy crap was that intense and unsettling. I definitely want to finish watching it.