The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2016!

• This post is deleted!

• A really great game that I would like to see higher, but it just shows that so many great games came out in 2016.

• The first game from my list to appear, I'll keep this post truncated because A.) I feel what's been said and B.) I'm repeating myself from the most recent Community Comments:

While fun, the campaign felt purely average. The characters, except for BT and MAYBE one antagonist were bland, and the length was meh. The time mechanic was awesome, and I wish it was further utilized. Excellent level design and great final mission.

Multiplayer is mulitplayer. Not necessarily bad, as it is tightly designed, just not my cup of tea.

• Hitman

#18. Hitman - 12 points

Votes

#1: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    #2: 1 (ACardAttack)
    #3: 1 (TheHashtag0nist)
    #4: 0
    #5: 0

Information

Release date: March 11 [US/EU]
    Developer: IO Interactive
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action-adventure, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Hey, it's my GOTY!

• I regret not jumping on board with Hitman, I've heard so much good about it. Plus I know myself and that I enjoyed the previous games, so yeah, stupid me. Now there's the disc version that was just released this week, so I'll be sure to pick it up.

• I left Hitman out of my picks because at the time I had only played the first episode. I'm currently assassinating my way through the rest of them and it truly is an amazing game.

The multitude of paths and approaches to missions. The sheer variety of ways you can kill your target. The darkly comic sense of humour that permeates throughout the whole game. It is all perfectly crafted.

Then there are all the additional modes that add an arcade like feeling to the game. I know if I have 20mins or so free I can do a quick contract. Then if I have more time and there is one available I can try to take down an Elusive Target or a set of Escalation Missions which strike a perfect balance between risk and reward.

Io's episodic plan was worrying in the run up to initial launch but with such a good final product it has set a really high bar for any future episodic games.

• This post is deleted!

• Despite the many positives for Hitman, I'm a little turned off by it. The group stream the Allies had didn't really sell me on the game (even though they were intentionally playing in a way that wasn't "serious."). However, I recognize that it has overcome pre-launch skepticism and deserves a mention for GOTY talk.

• @Musou-Tensei You don't need to make a comment about things you haven't played and don't care about. It adds nothing to the conversation. All you're doing is making people scroll more.

• @Sentinel-Beach I picked it up like 2 months ago on sale. It's not too late!

My very first game on the list is my #1 game. I think half my list is pretty much of the board now.

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

#16. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (bard91)
    #2: 2 (Musou Tensei, FutureCorpse)
    #3: 0

Information

Release date: January 29 [EU]
    Developer: Nihon Falcom
    Publisher: NIS America, XSEED Games
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

Street Fighter V

#16. Street Fighter V - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Kaminski)
    #2: 2 (DMCMaster, Tearju Engi)
    #3: 0

Information

Release date: February 16 [US/EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Fighting
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• A perfect tie between The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and Street Fighter V, they got the exact same votes. Therefore they are both #16.

• If I would have played Trails of Cold Steel earlier, it would have made my list, therefore boosting it higher but... ah well! Still good to see it on the list. I'd also like to see a Cold Steel x Street Fighter crossover game.

• And here I am not knowing anything about Trails of Cold Steel. Wow.

• Street fighter seems a bit high on considering everything negative that was said when it released. I know nothing about Trails, so good job to both.

• @Nillend
    You do know you can pick up a retail copy of SF5 for like $20, swear every other week I see it drop that low on Amazon and Gamestop.

• Would have voted cold steel but, it was a 2015 game in North America.

• #18. Hitman

A wonderful return to form for the series, although I don't appreciate the episodic nature of it personally. It made my top 10, but not my top 5.

#16. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

This was beat out by Fatal Frame V as my GOTY last year, but I happily put it as second. An amazing JRPG really. Despite living in the UK, I imported this from the US due to the fact that I had been pining for it for quite some time (EU was getting it months later) and also the fact that the US had a collectors edition. I got both this and its sequel on the Vita; sucks that the third is PS4 only. (The sequel is on my top 5 list.)

• I really gotta thank this forum for for being partially responsible of convincing me into jumping into the Trails games, I probably won't play the whole series, but I'll likely play any future releases that are standalone for the most part, or at not least not directly tied to one of the previous games.

it is sad to see that such a good series is really underappreciated, but hey word of mouth got me to look into it, and I''m pretty sure I'm not the only one, so hopefully we can get more people to jump in.