The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2016!

• While Stardew Valley doesn't interest me, I have some friends who have become OBSESSED with it, so it getting love here comes as no surprise. I understand the appeal, but not my kind of game. I'm starting to get a sense of excitement that's growing with each unveil, as this list, already full of quality titles, is only going to get better and better.

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II

#13. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - 14 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Musou Tensei, Sheria)
    #2: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    #5: 0

Information

Release date: September 6 [US], November 11 [EU]
    Developer: Nihon Falcom
    Publisher: NIS America, XSEED Games
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• #15. Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

Nice to see this make the list. This was a truly wonderful game. Not exactly what I expected when I first ever heard of the mash up, but it actually turned out to be something I appreciated a lot more. I love the idol theme of the game and Persona's style is constantly shining through.

#13. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II

Also pleasant to see this. I think this means all 5 of mine made it to this list. I echo what I said about the original Cold Steel, although as with all second games in the LoH trilogy's, this game goes in full force as all the 'setting up' has been done in the first.

A thank you to Axel for all his work so far with this list.

• Damn that's a lot of JRPGs that I should really check out! It is a shame I don't really have the time to dedicate to playing through them these days. (Damn you crazy work schedule, baby and life....stuff!) It's taking me long enough to play through Pokemon Sun and Fire Emblem Awakenings. Still I'm hoping to see ports or sequels to some of these on the Switch so I can play them during my commute at somepoint.

Speaking of the Switch, I keep nearly buying Stardew Valley because it looks so good and is the Harvest Moon-but-more game I have been wanting for years. I need to wait for the Switch port though so I will actually play it!

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions is probably my pick for most underrated game of this generation because the game was released on the Wii U's dying days and i know alot of people will miss out on it but it does so many things right.

For one, the game gives a meaningful purpose to killing regular enemies because every single enemy in the game has 2 unique material drop which is used to craft weapons and those weapons have their own unique strength and weakness and equipping them let's you earn xp to unlock 4 spells per weapon, think Final Fantasy 9. Battles are fun since you are always given a good reason to kill enemies, which is what a RPG should do and this game does it beautifully.

Second is it does what Chrono Trigger did extremly well and not that many JRPG's replicated for some reason and that's giving you a reason to play around and switch party members because every character can be better or worst in a certain situation, you have your guy who has bolt spells, one with fire, one with wind and every character has chain attacks so they can all feed off of each other to do combos.

Dungeons are much better than what we got in Persona 4, they feel different and have puzzles in them instead of being a generic maze everytime.

The only thing lacking from that game is the characters and the story which isn't all that interesting, this is no intriging muder mestory ala Persona 4 where you fall in love with Dojima, Nanako and your friends.

• I would love to play the Trails of Cold Steel games but I don't own a Vita or PS3. Hopefully with 3 coming exclusively to the PS4 we can get a compilation disk with 1 and 2 on it for the PS4 as well to catch those of us who haven't played up. I'd buy it.
    Actually I just did some research and found out both are streamable on Playstation Now, so I might finally have a reason to give Now a go.

• Another Trials of Cold Steel game? There were two this year? Wow. Well I have nothing further to add (besides the confusion) because what I said about the other game applies here.

• @Brannox the first came out in late december 2015, and it was agreed that games released very late would qualify, besides it also released in 2016 in Europe. The game themselves released years ago in Japan.

I should be getting ToCS2 by next week, and I really wanna play it soon, but it's gonna have to wait, I'm confident it would have made it high on my list if I had played already.

• @bard91 o come on whats a 100 hours?

• @FF7Cloud The problem is that I can't guarantee I'll be able to put in that much time before April 4th, and I definitively don't want to have to suddenly stop playing while in the middle of the story, that's why it is best for me to wait.

• @bard91 yea that's the thing with persona 5 right around the corner id wait too. There is a nice yakuza like plot summary on the main menu to freshin you up on the first game if you a bit rusty by then.

• @bard91 Thank you very much for the context!

• Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

#12. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - 15 points

Votes

#1: 2 (parasitepaladin, ZyloWolfBane)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (FF7Cloud, Sieghardt)
    #5: 1 (Tearju Engi)

Information

Release date: February 2 [US], February 5 [EU]
    Developer: Media.Vision
    Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• This is all madness.

• So far I have played one game on this list for more than 30 minutes. It was my GOTY, and it made the list at #18

• Cyber Sleuth is pretty great once you look past its handheld origins (Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt it a PSP game, then a expanded version on Vita, which was then ported to PS4), not trying to knock it, although I do wish the visuals had been fined tuned a bit for the PS4 version.

With that said I played the game pretty late into the year (Like Dec 30th) , but I enjoyed it, and it helps ease the pain of P5 being delayed

• Wait, whaaaa? Digimon?

• @Nillend Do not underestimate the game solely by its license, as far as I know, it is a great game, overlooked by many. Haven't played it myself, but I am interested to try it out.

• @jipostus yea its a pretty good smt clone.

• Global Moderator

Digimon?
    alt text

I did NOT expect to see this so high on this list!