The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2016!

• I will play Inside soon... I promise.

• I did play Inside... and I didn't like it, I promise.

But hey, cool to see a puzzle game get ranked, although I have a feeling The Witness still might show up.

• Inside is that one game that everyone seem to love and I can't stand it. But at least I finished it.

• Well I did play Inside, and I found it amazing.

Visually, it manages to be so evocative and atmospheric, and the animations are among the best I've ever seen. The world it presents is eerie, repulsive and intriguing all at the same time, and even though you're left with more questions than answers at the end, it doesn't really matter. It still manages to make you think and reflect on this journey you've been through.

Gameplay-wise, it doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before, but it's extremely clever in the way it introduces new mechanics only to subvert your expectations right afterwards. You'll never do the exact same thing twice, every new puzzle adds its own twist. On top of that, some of the enemies are scarier than most of what you'll encounter in actual horror games.

It's easy to be cynical about it, and it's a short experience, but one I'll have fonder memories of than many 50-hour long soulless open-world drags.

Perfect craftsmanship.

• yeaaaaah I need to play Inside ...

I'll get to it at some point, it's the kind of thing that I want to just clear a weekend's afternoon for, so I'll have to find a good time for that.

• Obviously I played it since it was my #1 pick but I almost didn't play it before the end of the year.

@Axel Put it perfectly! Nothing more to say.

• I've said enough about Inside in the Community Comments so if (for some bizarre reason. I wouldn't go hunt it down) you want to know a more coherent thought about the game check there. I will say that of the six games I've played that were released in 2016, this was number six. Now we wait on the top ten!!

• Can't say "I will play Inside soon... I promise" because I didn't really like Limbo, sry.
    Was just kinda boring for me.

• I really loved Inside. I may be the only one who thinks of it as a horror game, but blows me away how both Inside and Limbo can create such an oppressive atmosphere with so little. I can sink into those games more than I can in some big budget, open world, etc. games

• The Witness

#10. The Witness - 17 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Sazime, DeweyDecibel)
    #2: 1 (ffff0)
    #3: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #4: 0
    #5: 0

Information

Release date: January 26 [US/EU]
    Developer: Thekla, Inc.
    Publisher: Thekla, Inc.
    Genre: Puzzle
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, iOS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I'm only now playing The Witness, started just this week. Man, not too easy! :) I've only managed to raise two towers so far, but I'm making some progress. Gonna take a while, but what's the rush. Really pretty and almost even magical game world. Can't wait to see how things start to fall in their places as my brain starts to understand everything better.

• I think 10th place is exactly where The Witness deserves to be. Not any lower, but not higher either.

• Global Moderator

I dont know why, but I always think of the witness as it came out 2015... I have no idea why, maybe its because it came out in january that my brain think it still was 2015?

• The Witness is on my backlog. Trying to get through a bunch of short games and once I do it is the next thing I intend to tackle.

• Of all the 2016 games to be released, The Witness is the one I'm on the fence the most about. Up until now, I have not played it, but the more I think about it, the more (however very incrementally it is) appealing it becomes. I love the art style, and I enjoy a good puzzle, but the time sink dedicated to this is staggering for me, especially when this is a game you can't put down for an extended period of time. I'm happy to see it make the top ten. Even though I haven't played, I marvel in its design and intricate complexities.

• The Witness is definitely on my list of games to get to. I'm a little intimidated because I'm not a huge puzzle game fan, but I've heard a lot of good things.

• Global Moderator

The Witness is a fantastic game and a testament to excellent modern day game design.

Blow and his team really outdid themselves in how they teach you the rules of the puzzles. Really love that game.

• Not bad! It was my #1 for the year, but I can see how it's not EVERYONE'S number 1. :)