The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2016!

• Ah! I forgot to include the one game I put on my list: #4 Dishonored 2. I had such a great time with it in its story, level design, and athestic.

I AM surprised it did not even place. AT ALL. It's a really great game not even hitting #25 is a disappointment. But that's how things go.

@SabotageTheTruth To your point about FFXV, I have that feeling as well. I would also add it being the most polarizing: Those who love it, LOVE it (hence its place), but the more detailed and articulated thoughts I've seen back up your statement. Which is a bummer, because despite what I posted about it, there's a lot of good there. Just not enough.

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is the better Dishonored 2 :D

• @Exist-2-Inspire Respectfully disagree ;-)

• @SabotageTheTruth I dont like saying I regret Final Fantask XV. I loved the game, and more importantly for me I actually finished it, which is a big thing for me. The problem is just that I was finishing it up when I made my list.
    Now, after some time has passed, I would still place it on my list, just probably at 4 instead. Trails now would be #2. I'd probably knock off Stardew Valley to 6, and Overcooked would cling to 5th since its fun to play with the bf. Overwatch would remain number one, since it has to be. I still play it regularly.

I think lists like these are almost better to do a month or two after the year is over, so people aren't riding the zeitgeist of new releases.

• Not remotely surprised that VA-11 HALL-A and Senran Kagura: Estival Versus didn't make the cut. I love them but I know they're kinda niche. A little disappointed that Furi wasn't in there somewhere though.

• I think all my games made the list, I only had 4 or so games I played that came out last year...and I have absolutely no interest in the top two games. I do see the appeal of Dark Souls 3, its not really my thing though. Never understood the appeal of Uncharted, it does everything good, but never considered the games (at least 1-3) to be great

• @DeweyDTruman I had a tough time deciding between Furi and Inside for my list. I loved that game though.. I haven't felt the sense of achievement from from finishing Furi in anything else, even Souls. It seems like it didn't make a big splash and I find it pretty tough to explain to people.. maybe its just one of those games you need to try for yourself and either are into or not.

• As I mentioned, Severed is the only game that didn't make the list for me and I'm not too surprised by that.

If you do own a vita (or a 3DS/WiiU now I believe) it's totally worth playing.

I'd also like to give a little shout out to Furi which was a great game. I'd a load of fun with it, the soundtrack is so good and I saw recently that there will be some DLC coming out in March for it.

• My list:

1. Dark souls 3: WOOOO! 2nd place! probably best game I ever played, not my favorite ever though.
    2. Oxenfree: Thanks @ffff0 for also voting for it. What a great game.
    3. Valley: i'm a bit sad that this one didn't get more exposure. I apsolutely loved it.
    4. Titanfall 2: In the year of shooters, one was bound to end on my list. Titanfall two represents a perfect package of fun multiplayer and quality campaign. I really enjoyed other shooters, but this one takes it.
    5. No man's sky: probably the game I played most this year. Yes it had rough launch, but together with foundation update it's worth mentioning yet, especially after putting over 100 hours into it and not regretting it.

• I had so much fun putting this together, it was really exciting to see the ranking unfold and evolve with every list I received.

Some observations and fun facts:

• Uncharted 4 was #1 the entire time, from the very first list I counted to the end!
    • As I mentioned before, the Top 4 was way above the rest, and the games ranked #2-#4 kept swapping places.
    • Given some of your comments, Final Fantasy XV should have been fourth ;) It's also interesting to see that it only got 2 GOTY nominations, as opposed to 5 for Overwatch and 6 for Dark Souls III.
    • INSIDE was not even in the Top 25 until the very last few lists I got, which saw it get 2 GOTY nominations and skyrocket to the #11 spot. As it should.
    • Digimon and the two Trails of Cold Steel games are the Cinderella stories of this list, I personally never expected them to receive so many votes, and that's the beauty of this community. We enjoy the mainstream stuff, but we're also connoisseurs!
    • One Wii U exclusive game made the list (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE).
    • Zero Xbox One exclusive. Ouch.
    • Speaking of which, some big names completely missed out. Battlefield 1 got a mere 6 points.
    • Dishonored 2, Fire Emblem Fates, The Division, 4 points.
    • Watch Dogs 2, 3 points.
    • No Man's Sky, Gears of War 4, 2 points.
    • Quantum Break, 1 point.

I only played 6 out of those 25 games. I'm now planning to play Final Fantasy XV (when it's finished), The Last Guardian, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE and Firewatch. Probably not gonna happen.

I'm already excited to organize the Best of 2017 list, and I have a feeling it's going to be even more contested!

Thanks again to everyone who participated! Y'all have good taste!

• @Axel Great breakdown! I mentioned Dishonored 2 not making it and it hurting, but I COMPLETELY forgot I played Gears 4.

And I'm a die-hard Gears fan.

THAT is not a good sign. AT ALL. Epiphanies are a hell of reality check.

Anyway, I agree with your Cinderella observations and if Inside didn't hop systems just weeks later, it would have been. But it's not surprising when you consider PS4 is the preferred system on average.

Thanks again for putting it together and I'm looking forward to what's next!

• @Axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2016! (Countdown):

I'm already excited to organize the Best of 2017 list, and I have a feeling it's going to be even more contested!

By then I'll have just finished all these 2016 games hehe

• I'm so proud to know I was one of the people who helped give INSIDE that boost! :'D

• Just so there's no witch hunts, I'm (one of?) the person/people that put NMS in at number 5. It was the fifth best game I played that came out last year. Sorry! I still don't have the loathing many others have for the game. I didn't "finish" it though.

My list:

• Hitman
    • Final Fantasy XV
    • Overwatch
    • RIGS
    • No Man's Sky

• Here's my list:

1. Pokemon Sun and Moon
    2. Uncharted 4 A Thief's End
    3. Job Simulator
    4. Firewatch
    5. Pokémon GO

I wonder if anyone else voted for Pokémon GO?

• @Axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2016! (Countdown):

I had so much fun putting this together, it was really exciting to see the ranking unfold and evolve with every list I received.

Some observations and fun facts:

• Uncharted 4 was #1 the entire time, from the very first list I counted to the end!
    • As I mentioned before, the Top 4 was way above the rest, and the games ranked #2-#4 kept swapping places.
    • Given some of your comments, Final Fantasy XV should have been fourth ;) It's also interesting to see that it only got 2 GOTY nominations, as opposed to 5 for Overwatch and 6 for Dark Souls III.
    • INSIDE was not even in the Top 25 until the very last few lists I got, which saw it get 2 GOTY nominations and skyrocket to the #11 spot. As it should.
    • Digimon and the two Trails of Cold Steel games are the Cinderella stories of this list, I personally never expected them to receive so many votes, and that's the beauty of this community. We enjoy the mainstream stuff, but we're also connoisseurs!
    • One Wii U exclusive game made the list (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE).
    • Zero Xbox One exclusive. Ouch.
    • Speaking of which, some big names completely missed out. Battlefield 1 got a mere 6 points.
    • Dishonored 2, Fire Emblem Fates, The Division, 4 points.
    • Watch Dogs 2, 3 points.
    • No Man's Sky, Gears of War 4, 2 points.
    • Quantum Break, 1 point.

I only played 6 out of those 25 games. I'm now planning to play Final Fantasy XV (when it's finished), The Last Guardian, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE and Firewatch. Probably not gonna happen.

Thanks again to everyone who participated! Y'all have good taste!

Was i the only person who voted for Phoenix Wright?

• @TokyoSlim It's alright to like something that pretty much everyone else hates. I actually know one person who actually might go as far as to say NMS would be his GOTY, but that's just him I would say. I think it's the stockholm syndrome that hit him after all that hype and being forced to like the game he just spent his that months budget on...

• Phoenix Wright was my 2016 GOTY until i played Overwatch, made it to 2nd place on my list. Apparently i'm the only Phoenix Wright fan in the entire community. No Dragon Quest VII, 7th Dragon III Code: VFD, Kirby Planetrobobot, SMT IV: Apocalypse. etc. Seems like we have few 3DS fans in general.

• @Stephleref I'm fan of the Ace Attorney/Perfect Prosecutor games, but I don't have 3DS... When I do get one, I'll have plenty of games to catch up to. Unless they all make the Switch, then I'll just get that at some point (I doubt this though).

• @Stephleref I personally love Phoenix Wright, but I had only played the first 2 cases at the time of voting, and it didn't blow me away enough to make my list.

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma was #26 with 7 points, so just missed out. To be fair, there weren't a lot of truly great games last year on 3DS, although I expected Fire Emblem Fates to place higher.