What are some essential games to try out?

• Hello Allies,

I haven't played many of the iconic video games you guys might have fond memories of. I was born in Slovakia, only a few years after the fall of Communism and my childhood was spent catching up to western technologies and culture, thus meaning that a lot of iconic video games in the U.S. completely circumvented me. (for example I've never heard of the legend of Zelda until I was 16 and haven't played one until this year). So my question to the panel would be, what are some essential games that I have to try out?

Thank you so much for everything you guys do. You're one of my favorite content creators so please never stop. L&R,
    Chris

• Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Mario 64
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    The Last of Us
    Chrono Trigger
    Resident Evil 4
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Tetris
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Diablo 2
    Deus Ex
    Metal Gear Solid 3 or Metal Gear Solid (1)
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Final Fantasy 6 or 7
    Dark Souls
    Starcraft (1)
    Suikoden 2 (preferably play 1 beforehand)
    Megaman 2 or 4
    Devil May Cry 3
    Secret of Mana

• One great list to check out is the EZA Top 100. Our collective favorite games, you'll find a lot of must-plays in there, and you can read our impressions of each game in the thread.

• Well, if you want this question for the actual EZA crew, you might want to ask this question either via Patreon (once you have donated $1 or more for Cup of Jones Tier, so Brandon might anwers this, $5 or more for the weekly podcast tier or $20 for the Q&A tier (where this might get most likely answered by majority of allies) or try sending your question at askeasyallies@gmail.com so that question may be asked during Frame Trap, their bi-weekly podcast. But now that you asked it here, this question will be answered by us, the EZA community.

That said, here's my recommendations:
    as @Axel said, check out the EZA COMMUNITY TOP 100 videogames of All Time, as that consists of many must play titles, but here's few I would also recommend:
    Bravely Default - Interesting throwback to older RPG's.
    Heroes III of Might & Magic - One of the BEST Turn based Strategy games ever made. If you are actually interested, get it from GOG, and Download HD mod, instead of getting it on Steam. You will get more game with less money.
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Fun game with great story, amazing characters and will make you shout OBJECTION if you spot contradictions in real life... Well, that last thing may not happen, but I still highly recommend this.

• Global Moderator

@Christian-Szokolay First of all, Welcome to the forum! Hope you will enjoy your stay!

As previous mentioned, check the top 100 thread and that should keep you busy for a little while!
    I also like to add a couple of games such as: Journey To Silius on the NES which are a quite hard but awesome sidescrolling shooter game with 6 or 8 levels. Epic music and solid game play - worth testing. As well as Rollercoaster Tycoon. This is often overlooked but still fun! I mean you are building your own theme park! :D

I was also thinking, there will be LOADS of games recommended to you. As you seem to be fairly new to the medium we cant expect you to play it all. So I would recommend going for the top 10 series or something to start with. Then try and figure out which type of games you find most fun to play! I mean playing games just because you feel like you have to will only make it hard for you if you arent enjoying them - so play the categories that you find fun to play

L&R

• Thank you for all the wonderful answers. Really appreciate it! I will check out all those games and as you have pointed out, I should be busy for a while :D

• @Christian-Szokolay said in What are some essential games to try out?:

I should be busy for a while :D

That's an understatement :P