Worst "lost my save" moment you've had

• @SEEGAAAA
    Known that lesson for a long time, sadly my dad thought otherwise, I remember we got a different Pelican controller each week because a simple round of Melee or Soul Calibur 2 was enough to destroy them. Finally after 5 or 6 he figured it was better to spend the $40-50 for a official gamecube controller

• @Qiou94 ah yes, something similar happened to me recently. Was playing The Witness and my guy glitched out o the boat mid transit. I was stuck on the wrong side of the invisible wall. The last checkpoint was made after I fell in so I was stuck. My only option was to go back to an earlier save point costing me to redo an hour or two worth of puzzles. I get more upset at recent game save loss than old ones. I tend to forget what old saves consisted of and dont mind replaying things I haven't played in a long time.

Playing somewhere I'm the middle of Shenmue 2 for an hour and having the game crash due to a scratched disc hurts. You have no choice but to relive that hour with the same conversations.

• I've had a few of this during the PSX days. I was playing an RPG, and my memory card was full, I lost ALL of my XP, my progress in this RPG, and I lost my $#!^ and decided to get a new Memory Card, which I also lost, too. Two memory cards, goddamn. I wish I was more careful that time... either way,. nothing hurts more than progressing in a huge RPG, only to lose all the save due to some unforeseen crap.

• When I was really young, my older brother came into my room when I was playing Pokemon Blue. I had all 150 pokemon and I pretty much had only played this game for months on end. He laughs and says "you and your damn pokemon" and rips the cart out of the Gameboy while it's on. RIP my entire file and all those hours. He felt so bad and actually helped me recapture all 150 again.

• Skyrim. I usually save like crazy but I was just super relaxed one day, chilling with hours of fun skyrim gameplay....then the game crashed...and I realized my last save was from at least 5 hours before...I ended up not touching the game again for almost a full year.

• In the age before Gametags and dedicated log-ins, Knights of the Old Republic on original XBox. I'd spent hours on Taris, the tutorial planet, and finally gotten to the point where you have your own ship and the game opens up, and you can travel to planets freely. Then I trade off to my friend to take a break and let him catch up (since he had to play it at my house)...and he saved over my file with his new game.
    That, and MissingNo. killed my Poke'mon Blue.

• I made it to the final boss of FF7 and decided to revisit the beginning of the game. What happened next was pretty much conditioned behavior: there was a save point, so I saved. This was fifteen years ago and I still haven't beaten the game.

There was also that one time my brother let his friend start a new game on my copy of Pokemon Sapphire. I miss my Wailord so much.

• Batman Arkham Asylum, I had it on my 360 and got averything, 1000/1000 game points and all that jazz, RROD and part of the "repair" destroyed all my saves (HDD format). I still had all the achievements at least...

Sale on steam, Arkham Asylum GOTY only 5€, time to complete it again! 2 weeks after the 100% GFWL updates strikes again and I loose everything, didn't touch it again until they converted the game to steamworks.
    100% all the achievements for the third time (in record time by now) and now my saves are in double backup + steam cloud save.

I just love that game.

• Global Moderator

Need For Speed: Blacklist on PS2.

Had such a good run! got most cars from the blacklist people, my Mazda ate everything in its way.

Coming home from school one day, only having 2 people left... "Memory card corrupted". I never touched that game since =(

• Didn't happen to me, but my Dad. He had been playing Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (which is an underrated game, it has flaws but it's pretty great anyway), and my younger brother deleted his file near the end of the game. That ended up being the last time my Dad ever played a video game. I don't think it was the sole reason, but I think it contributed.

• This happened to me a lot when I was playing Skyrim on PC. The game only auto-saves when you enter/exit a building, temple, or city. Otherwise you have to keep a finger on that quicksave button and press it every 5 minutes or so. In my 100+ hours of playing that game, I never truly learned to do this so I probably lost 10-15 cumulative hours of progress.

• The first time No Mercy reset I can still feel that one to this day.

• Far Cry 3. I loved that game immensely and was super into it, fully upgraded my equipment and got tons of skills in the tree. I had 100% (or nearly) the first island and just got to the second. I ran through enemy territory and climbed all the towers (which was a bitch since I intentionally didn't do any outposts so if I died at any point I had a long trek back to the next tower). Finally, I got them all, unlocked the last tower gun and logged off for the night. When I went back the next day, my save was gone. I promptly said "Fuck this" and quit. Still have never beaten the game.

• I guess this really doesn't count but the closest I can think of is the rebooted Tomb Raider (first one) where I was on the last level and the level started to glitch a bit but I managed to get to the final goal - only instead of triggering the cut scene the game booted me back into the level and I was stuck running around with no way to progress. I went to reload a save but the game had already auto saved into this glitched area so I couldn't finish the game properly...

I watched the last of it on Youtube and I only missed a quick time event and the ending cutscene but it still annoyed me, from then on I always made sure to have at least 2 save files going for any game I play.

• Due to a save corruption bug I've literally played through Telltale's The Walking dead: Season One three times! I still love the game, but going through those kinds of games several times making the same choices is super tedious haha
    alt text

• @ZeusBurger said in Worst "lost my save" moment you've had:

I guess this really doesn't count but the closest I can think of is the rebooted Tomb Raider (first one) where I was on the last level and the level started to glitch a bit but I managed to get to the final goal - only instead of triggering the cut scene the game booted me back into the level and I was stuck running around with no way to progress. I went to reload a save but the game had already auto saved into this glitched area so I couldn't finish the game properly...

I watched the last of it on Youtube and I only missed a quick time event and the ending cutscene but it still annoyed me, from then on I always made sure to have at least 2 save files going for any game I play.

The exact thing happened to me in the 2008 Prince of Persia game (I believe it was that one). I remember climbing a tower to get to the final boss, but was stopped in a room to kill some enemies. Once the enemies were dead the gates opened and I could progress to the top of the tower. As I got to the top the game glitched and booted me back to the room where I had to kill the bad guys...but there were no bad guys and the gates were still locked.

• Banned

Can't say I've had a lot of those moments, the one that comes to mind is Tales From the Borderlands. I finished the first 3 episodes and then I formatted my PC thinking the game used cloud saves but it didn't. Haven't played it since.

• I NEVER played through Resident Evil 2, because my brother chose to delete my file because he needed a free slot for one of his ridiculous sports games...to this day RE2 is the only mainline Resident Evil game in existence (RE6 is nonexistent) that I haven't finished...
    I'm a broken man, damned to relive this tragedy until my dying day.

Is there no hope? Are we all damned?

alt text

• @Luepp25 there is hope. Resident evil 2 remake?

There is always hope.

Personally I would go back and play 2 again anyway. It's awesome. Probably my favourite one in the franchise.

• @Ellis yeah...i really should :) probably gonna play it leading up to the release of 2REmake.