Worst "lost my save" moment you've had

• This happened to me a lot when I was playing Skyrim on PC. The game only auto-saves when you enter/exit a building, temple, or city. Otherwise you have to keep a finger on that quicksave button and press it every 5 minutes or so. In my 100+ hours of playing that game, I never truly learned to do this so I probably lost 10-15 cumulative hours of progress.

• The first time No Mercy reset I can still feel that one to this day.

• Far Cry 3. I loved that game immensely and was super into it, fully upgraded my equipment and got tons of skills in the tree. I had 100% (or nearly) the first island and just got to the second. I ran through enemy territory and climbed all the towers (which was a bitch since I intentionally didn't do any outposts so if I died at any point I had a long trek back to the next tower). Finally, I got them all, unlocked the last tower gun and logged off for the night. When I went back the next day, my save was gone. I promptly said "Fuck this" and quit. Still have never beaten the game.

• I guess this really doesn't count but the closest I can think of is the rebooted Tomb Raider (first one) where I was on the last level and the level started to glitch a bit but I managed to get to the final goal - only instead of triggering the cut scene the game booted me back into the level and I was stuck running around with no way to progress. I went to reload a save but the game had already auto saved into this glitched area so I couldn't finish the game properly...

I watched the last of it on Youtube and I only missed a quick time event and the ending cutscene but it still annoyed me, from then on I always made sure to have at least 2 save files going for any game I play.

• Due to a save corruption bug I've literally played through Telltale's The Walking dead: Season One three times! I still love the game, but going through those kinds of games several times making the same choices is super tedious haha
    alt text

• @ZeusBurger said in Worst "lost my save" moment you've had:

I guess this really doesn't count but the closest I can think of is the rebooted Tomb Raider (first one) where I was on the last level and the level started to glitch a bit but I managed to get to the final goal - only instead of triggering the cut scene the game booted me back into the level and I was stuck running around with no way to progress. I went to reload a save but the game had already auto saved into this glitched area so I couldn't finish the game properly...

I watched the last of it on Youtube and I only missed a quick time event and the ending cutscene but it still annoyed me, from then on I always made sure to have at least 2 save files going for any game I play.

The exact thing happened to me in the 2008 Prince of Persia game (I believe it was that one). I remember climbing a tower to get to the final boss, but was stopped in a room to kill some enemies. Once the enemies were dead the gates opened and I could progress to the top of the tower. As I got to the top the game glitched and booted me back to the room where I had to kill the bad guys...but there were no bad guys and the gates were still locked.

• Banned

Can't say I've had a lot of those moments, the one that comes to mind is Tales From the Borderlands. I finished the first 3 episodes and then I formatted my PC thinking the game used cloud saves but it didn't. Haven't played it since.

• I NEVER played through Resident Evil 2, because my brother chose to delete my file because he needed a free slot for one of his ridiculous sports games...to this day RE2 is the only mainline Resident Evil game in existence (RE6 is nonexistent) that I haven't finished...
    I'm a broken man, damned to relive this tragedy until my dying day.

Is there no hope? Are we all damned?

alt text

• @Luepp25 there is hope. Resident evil 2 remake?

There is always hope.

Personally I would go back and play 2 again anyway. It's awesome. Probably my favourite one in the franchise.

• @Ellis yeah...i really should :) probably gonna play it leading up to the release of 2REmake.

• Xenoblade Chronicles
    180 odd hours all gone. ALL was lost!
    I had no motivation to go back to it but did eventually and completed it skipping almost all side content.

• Gamecube "white high capacity" card crash.

While every game was corrupted my Skies of Arcadia save was toast with being within 1 hour from the final boss.

• My friend's brother once saved over my Monster Rancher 3 file. I lost everything and never played it again.

• As child I was very invested in Secret of Mana on SNES, at one evening I failed my 1st try to beat the final boss (I didn't understand Yin and Yang magic at that point) and had to go to bed, when I came home from school the next day and wanted to try again, the save was gone.

Another a bit more recent one, I was playing Mystical Ninja 2 on N64 for a Let's Play, wanted to start recording my playthrough of the last world but the save got corrupted. I used an Action Replay to get to that point of the game with all Passes I had till then as fast as possible, but a delay in uploads was inevitable.

• I overwrote my Sly Cooper 4 save when I was about 80% through the game. It did annoy me, but not for long.

• I once had a high capacity PSX card lose two high level Diablo saves (my buddy and I played hours and hours of co-op).

The kicker? It also fried the controller and memory card ports of the machine. I had to send it in for repair because of card freaking out and burning things up.

• Mine actually happened recently.

My save file got corrupted some 150 hours in during a run of Crusader Kings II where I was aiming for a specific achievement. Kind of a pain in the ass, but I suppose I will survive.

• Had a big memory card for my Gamecube with all my game saves on it. One day it came up a message about it being corrupted or something and told me to do something. Without knowing what it meant, I was just like "Erm... Okay" and then I found out it completely wiped my card. I was devastated. x)

• The worst one I can think of was when I tried to beat Max Payne on hard boiled and near the end my save file became corrupted and had to start over from the beginning.

• When EA brought ME3 to Origins and not on steam, and I couldn't use multiple save files to load into the game that I had built up over the last 6 years. That was the worst. Still haven't ever played ME3, or any other EA game for that matter.