Comic book fans

• @BatViking Can second both of these. SAGA might be my all time favorite comic, and Fables is just such a rich world. BKV's second series, Paper Girls, is picking up well too.

• @gaarathedancingpanda Fables is a great example of a series that perhaps should have ended earlier then it did. Granted, while I was reading it I would never have wanted it to end.
    It has some of my favourite characters. Boy Blue and Bigby are amazing.

• To my previous list of comics I'm reading I'd now like to add Sex Criminals and Renato Jones. Between those along with Saga and Outcast, Image has been hitting it out of the park lately. I also recently picked up Snotgirl and I'm hoping that will be another great series.

• @TheChrisGriffin If you like those Image comics I would also suggest Revival, Black Science and Wicked and the Divine.

I would also suggest Unwritten from Vertigo. It's an interesting look at fiction and how it impacts us. Along with Fables, also has some of the best covers.

• @Inustar said in Comic book fans:

@TheChrisGriffin If you like those Image comics I would also suggest Revival, Black Science and Wicked and the Divine.

I would also suggest Unwritten from Vertigo. It's an interesting look at fiction and how it impacts us. Along with Fables, also has some of the best covers.

I'll look into them! I've been curious about Revival and Wicked and The Divine for awhile so this gives me incentive to do so. LOVE the covers I've been seeing for them.

Looked up Unwritten, sounds doubly interesting and something right up my alley. I'll put all these on my list to check out. Thanks for the suggestions!

• I have been slowly easing into comics in the last few years. Marvel Unlimited has been fantastic for this. I started with the X-23 origin stories and the first run of Runaways. Then moved to Astonishing X-men because the Joss Whedon authored comics were highly recommended to me. I then read the Ultimates 1 and 2 and enjoyed them very much. I am now reading actively.

• Darth Vader
    • Thor
    • Spider-Gwen
    • All-New Wolverine
    • Howard the Duck

I keep meaning to go back and read the big Marvel events; Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas, Age of Apocalypse, Civil War, House of M, etc etc etc. I never get around to it though.

DC/Vertigo/Other side I read all of Sandman in College and enjoyed it a lot. I have Killing Joke and Watchmen and they were both enjoyable. Though I didn't absolutely love either. I read Harley Quinn Vol 1 from new 52 and had problems with it honestly. Nothing from DC or new 52 has really called to me as a must read though I haven't given them much of a chance either.

• Signed up for Marvel Unlimited a couple months ago and I've just been easing into comics. There's some really good suggestions on here, not sure if all of the recommendations will be on there, from what I understand they have stuff that's ~6 months old. Which is perfectly fine for me right now.

Mostly following this guide, seemed like a fun idea to go back and read some of the older stuff = )

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/knights-until-avengers-disassembled/

but will definitely check out some of the stuff mentioned on here.

• @Churchy said in Comic book fans:

Definitely a fan of the medium, but I'm not huge into Superheroes (except for a few). Some of my favourites include:

• Preacher
    • The Walking Dead
    • Punisher MAX (Garth Ennis's run on this was glorious)
    • Chew
    • Revival
    • Watchmen
    • Batman

There's a lot I like from Batman but my all time favourite is Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth. It's gloriously fucked up in terms of its narrative and psychological approach to Batman and Dave McKean's artwork is simply wonderful. Although having said that, I have immensely enjoyed Scott Synder's run on Batman too.

So apparently I have the same taste in comics as Churchy. Haven't read Revival though. Sad to see no love for Warren Ellis in this thread: Transmetropolitan and Planetary are amazing. Hitman by Ennis and McCrea is also a masterpiece. No one writes likable characters like Ennis does.

What's your stance on Manga here? In my experience Comic and Manga fans can't seem to get along, although both are essentially just pictures and word balloons. That segregation seems really weird to me.

• @JohnnyWombat said in Comic book fans:

What's your stance on Manga here? In my experience Comic and Manga fans can't seem to get along, although both are essentially just pictures and word balloons. That segregation seems really weird to me.

Comics = Manga and Manga = Comics

The pointless divide comes from audience affinity for certain types of storytelling and a unhealthy dose of seeing the opposite side's art and stories as inherently childish.

Personally I love both!

• Catching up on Southern Bastards and Saga right now, two amazing titles.
    Manga wise I'm just trying to stay up to date on bleach(oh, the horror), Billy Bat and Berserk. Which isn't that hard.

• Spawn
    The Walking Dead
    Huck
    Saga
    American Monster
    Lucifer
    Sheriff of Babylon
    Symmetry
    Unfollow
    Manifest Destiny

Marvel:
    Reading from Marvel Unlimited:
    The Amazing Spider-man (1st)
    Uncanny X-men (1st)

• Pull List:
    DC

• Batman (King)
    • Detective Comics
    • Wonder Woman (Rucka/Scott & Sharpe)
    • All-Star Batman (Snyder & JR Jr.)
    • Superman (Tomasi & Gleason)

Marvel

• Vision (King & Walta)
    • Black Widow (Waid & Samnee)

Tom King's work is absolutely amazing. His work on Omega Men really fleshed out Kyle Rayner (a character that always felt pretty flat to me). His current run on Vision is existential, thought-provoking, and heart-wrenching. His approach on Batman (so far) is inventive and fresh. The first issue of Snyder's All-Star Batman looks promising. Both Rucka & Tomasi are doing yeoman's work clearing the continuity decks of Wonder Woman & Superman respectively.

• Has anyone heard Brandon or Huber ever mention All-Star Superman? They love Batman so much but I wanted to possibly get them the best comic ever written, let alone the best Superman comic.

I'm sure the suicide girl panels would make Ian tear up if he read it.