Breath of the wild speed runs. Bets.

• Apparently, according to Aonuma, you can tackle the game in ANY order. Then he proceeded to say that if you wanted, you can go straight to the final boss from the get go!

So with that information, does anyone got bets on the fastest speed run 1 week from release?
    I'm gonna say 22:38.
    L&R

• I would say less than 15 minutes... My guess is 14:31.

• When the strats have been nailed down, I reckon people will be able to go sub-9 minutes.

• The fastest speedrun will not be the one where the runner goes straight to the final boss because in all likelihood they will not get the correct ending. With all the dungeons, Master Sword, and other necessary prerequisites? I'm gonna say 7ish hours.

And for the record, we've known about the dungeon order thing since E3 2014.

• The game better have some superslide glitch in it or else all the walking will be quite the annoyance.

My bet is that there's a wrong warp to the credits after like 5 minutes and 32 seconds.

• @Haru17 usual form of speedruns is any%, so "bad" ending or anything among those lines count. But as for must do x before finish or get all key items or good ending runs are another story altogether.

• @jipostus Well, speedruns that rush straight to the final boss in a game like this would be stupid and worthless. So there's that :/

• @Haru17 I think speedruns in general are somewhat stupid. When I am playing, I like to take my time (whenever I can) to enjoy the environment, and look around every corner and whatnot.

But regardless, it was stated that in Breath of the Wild, you can go straight to the Final Boss from the beginning if you so desire, and technically finish the game in about 15 minutes.

• @jipostus said in Breath of the wild speed runs. Bets.:

@Haru17 I think speedruns in general are somewhat stupid. When I am playing, I like to take my time (whenever I can) to enjoy the environment, and look around every corner and whatnot.

Yeah, but just in terms of speedruns as a show it's pointless to do the first open world Zelda without doing the dungeons.

• @Haru17 I'm pretty sure I've seen a speedrun of Pokemon where a glitch allowed the player to beat the game before even getting a starter.

• Commenting on a thread about speedruns and calling them stupid seems... disrespectful, don't ya think? I'm no wrestling fan but I'm not going to attempt to curb any of their enthusiasm in said thread.

There's obviously a speedrun community that loves the concept, so much so that AGDQ is becoming seemingly more popular every year. Just because it's not the way you'd play a game doesn't make it stupid and worthless. Play how you want to play, simple as that.

That being said, 3 minutes flat. I want all the werehogs.

• @SabotageTheTruth I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings, or make anyone feel stupid. It's just my opinion on speedruns. It's clear that I'm not into speedrunning, but I'm weirded out by the concept of not enjoying the game as is, instead, cutting corners as much as possible, find & abuse glitches to bypass story just to get to end screen as fast as possible. But I do admit, some of those runs are just amazing to look at, but doing that myself... Nah, I rather take my time and enjoy the game as much as possible.

• @jipostus Don't get me wrong, it's also not my bag. I do think speedrunning is a little more involved though and I almost guarantee everyone who does so on a "professional" level has completed the game thoroughly. Just listening to Huber get hyped up about potentially speedrunning Resident Evil 2 was fun to watch, I hope he goes through with it.

• I don't think it's really fair to call speedruns stupid when they raise millions for charities

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/15/14278222/awesome-games-done-quick-12017-fundraising-2-million

• It'll be done in just under 3 hours.

• @dramaticslowmo That's the community based around it, not the act itself. But regardless, this is why I respect the speedrunners and the community. That said, to me, speedrunning doesn't fit at all, and still, it feels stupid to me.

• Seeing lots of bets in here that would make sense for years after the game's release, but Charlie stated one week from release as the cut off for this. I doubt anyone is going to find anything as crazy as a wrongwarp in that time, and even if people run straight to Ganon they probably stand no chance of actually beating him without prepping a little or at least gathering weapons and recovery items first. So basically, your bets should at least account for rudimentary preparation, travel time to the castle, potential cutscenes if they aren't skipable, fight time under subpar conditions, etc. One week isn't enough for proper routing, and wildcards like physics and the temples required to unlock abilities is also something to think about.

• You underestimate people's lack of a life.

• Not to mention, anything under 20 minutes is laughable because Link literally can't travel to and through each of the Great Plateau's four shrines in that time, let along getting to Hyrule Castle, evading guardians, climbing the mountain-sized dungeon itself, and the inevitably multi-phase boss fight with Calamity Ganon.

• Skyward Sword (the most story heavy of the bunch) was done in a little over 5 hours.
    Twilight Princess was around 3 hours.
    Wind Waker was roughly 4 hours.

So it's not crazy to assume one could beat a Zelda game that allows you to access the Final Boss almost immediately in roughly the same amount of time.

I'm sticking with 3 hours.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.