I guess I WILL be going to the anniversary meet and greet... (UPDATE)

• Update 2: just cleared US customs, See you guys soon!

Update: I wanted to thank everyone here for their support and PM's. you guys are an awesome community and I'm proud to be a part of it. Turns out that this is no longer an issue and I've booked my flights! See you all there!

Also, I've seen a few people lament about not being able to attend for financial reasons... I just wanted to throw it out there that I'll be getting a hotel room with two twin beds so if anyone wants to bunk in for free I'm totally open to that. I will be there on March 20th and leaving on the 22nd. I am a 34 year old male just in case that matters to any of you who would want to share a hotel room.

cheers!

So I know we don't get political here and I think that's a good call. I just needed to vent a little bit as I was planning on making the trip to the EZA 1st year anniversary meet and greet but based on the latest news it seems like I won't be able to go.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3211632/how-trump-immigration-order-affects-canadians-with-dual-citizenship/?sf53286533=1

I have lived in Canada since I was 6 years old but I was born in Iran and am a dual citizen.

In an ironic twist I also can't go back to Iran to visit any extended family because I'd have to serve military service there (which I obviously do not want to do).

The world is a crazy messed up place sometimes.

I'm very dissapointed in the whole affair but at the same time I'm very thankful for this community. If you're attending the meet and greet in March have a drink for me!

• That sucks incredibly man, and as an American born child of a Green Card holding foreign citizen myself, I'm sorry this is even a thing. As a country, we're pretty f'ed up in a lot of ways right now, and it's only going to get worse for the next few years. Hopefully when this is over, there will be enough pieces left to put back together.
    Have some Poutine for me Mangbro.

On that note,
    I may or may not be going myself. I was planning on it, and have worked my business travel schedule to where I'd be in LA on March 21st, but I just got a job offer I may not be able to turn down and I may be quitting and getting new employment in the next three weeks or so - which likely means I wouldn't be able to come down for the festivities.
    Sads.

• @TokyoSlim thanks for the kind words and congrats on the job offer!

I have never been called Mangbro before but I like it a lot... so thanks for that too

• i just read this but somethings off what does it mean for 90 days does that mean 3 months from now people will be able to travel?

• @FF7Cloud well I think it means that its in place for 90 days but what happens after that is still to be determined

• @Sazime yeah I saw that. Its great for those detained presently, which I just can't imagine the stress they must be going through at a time like this.

• @Mango I won't get into it, but to put it mildly, I'm furious and sad.

• admin

Unfortunately there's been a lot of misinformation about this whole thing, and case in point, the article you linked has been updated with a correction. Seems that if you have a Canadian passport, you should be fine.

• @Bloodworth thanks for pointing that out. I guess I'll have to wait till the dust settles. I apologies for any part my post had in adding to the confusion

Just as a point of reference when Bush was in power I had to apply for a visa (with my Canadian passport I don't have an Iranian passport) to get into the states at the time. I also had to get fingerprinted and photo ID every time I came in and left. So to be banned from entry with a Canadian passport didn't seem that far of a stretch given that history.

Thanks everyone for the support and the updates.

Cheers

• @Mango Mate, this is outrageous. I'm genuinely glad that you might be OK if you have a Canadian passport - but it's all so up-in-the-air, it's crazy that you have no idea where you might stand tomorrow, or next week.

This whole mess is affecting so many people. I have friends with Iranian passports back in Australia (were born in Iran, lived in Aus for last ~10 years), who are having to delay or maybe even cancel jobs in top institutes (RMIT, Stanford) because of this nonsense.

• Global Moderator

I concur with everyone else. I hope this nonsense settles down and your able to attend along with anyone else in a similar issue!

• Thanks guys

@blindly-fumblin I'm kinda embarrassed about my post in retrospect in light of people who's lives are seriously affected by this like your friends and others I've read about in the media. My life is quite good and I have much to be thankful for.

• @Mango Don't be embarrassed man. I'm having a complete "there but for the grace of gosh go I" day today. Good thing I chose to be born white and Christian, eh?

People need to put a face to events like this. The great Mango having their travel permissions thrown into doubt is as good as anything.

• Update: I did not get the job I've been interviewing for - so I will be in LA on the 21st!

I will represent the spirit of Mango at Easy Allies in Concert by lighting a candle or something.

• @TokyoSlim lol thanks dude. sorry to hear about the job. Hope it all works out for you.

I am not entirely sure what the status is for me entering the states right now, I assume the court order stay has some impact but I really haven't followed it that closely. I'll call our immigration office in a couple weeks and find out I guess. Who knows, maybe I'll be there in the end

• Given that I would be spending several hundred dollars to be there for a three-hour event, I've decided to not go. Things would probably be different if I had a consistent source of income, but the truth is that I just don't. If E3 continues to be open to the public then I'll probably save up and try to go to that next year or find another opportunity to meet the Nine. I hope everyone who's going in person has a great time!

• @TokyoSlim Fuck 'em! There's always better jobs around the corner.

• @naltmank yeah, I know. Thanks! I just hate interviewing.
    :)

I currently have a job, just trying to find a better paying one.

• just wanted to update the post to let people know that I'll be attending now! I updated the main post but I didn't realize that it would not necessarily be as visible so I'll repeat it down here

Also, I've seen a few people lament about not being able to attend for financial reasons... I just wanted to throw it out there that I'll be getting a hotel room with two twin beds so if anyone wants to bunk in for free I'm totally open to that. I will be there on March 20th and leaving on the 22nd. I am a 34 year old male just in case that matters to any of you who would want to share a hotel room.

cheers!

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.